Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry special edition

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The SE seems to sell better here in L.A. than the LE model. Adding splashier models and special editions makes great sense. The days of people wanting plain, boring, appliance-like transportation in this class are long gone. The standard and bar has been changed, and now people want to look good too while driving their family sedans. Competition started this all, with cars like the last generation Sonata/Optima, current Ford Fusion, Honda Accord Sport, and the last and current generation Camry SE.
Well, if that's true (and you might indeed be correct), then Toyota probably won't have any problem selling all 12,000 (or more) of the Special-Edition models it plans to produce. I can't speak for the L.A. region, but, here in the D.C. area (which is also a huge new-car market, generally second to L.A.) sporty Camrys don't seem to be all that high on most buyers' lists, though, of course, regular Camrys go like free beer at Happy Hour.
Old 02-07-15, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Liking all the blue accents
Old 02-07-15, 10:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Not feeling the new Camry at all. Very ugly design. I thought seeing them in person would change my mind, but it definitely did not.
Same here...
Old 02-08-15, 01:40 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you know a regular camry means a guy has given up on life and waved the white flag, a special edition special edition camry means at least a guy is willing to go down swining.

Hey, they could had it worst....

Infinity Infinity ***** Leaker INFINIT.
Attached Thumbnails Camry special edition-2012-infiniti-ipl_coupe-image-08.jpg  

Last edited by Stormwind; 02-08-15 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-08-15, 05:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,407 Posts

i think the new refresh was an important step for toyota, and a good one, to play catch-up. this special edition is pretty much pure profit fluff that honda and toyota have been doing for years.
Old 02-08-15, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the new refresh was an important step for toyota, and a good one, to play catch-up. this special edition is pretty much pure profit fluff that honda and toyota have been doing for years.
As far as the profits go, that works best if the supply and demand scenario for the vehicle allows dealerships to charge more than list (ADM/Additional Dealer Markup) from high demand and low supply (in this case, 12,000 units). Though I agree (from my earlier posts) that Toyota will probably sell those 12,000 units, I don't see the demand for the Special Edition model being high enough for true ADMs and profiteering. After all, Special Edition or not, this is still, under the nice blue trim and equipment, basically a mid-size, bread and butter family sedan.
Old 02-08-15, 07:31 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Liking all the blue accents
Me too. It reminds me of the Celica GT-S TRD Edition that TCI had up here late in the last generation.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Having said that, though, I still don't see a huge market for this latest Special Edition. Most Camry buyers are generally not interested in this sort of trim or sport-orientation. They usually want just basic, refined, reliable, comfortable transportation in a mid-size sedan....which is why the Camry and Accord have dominated the mid-size family sedan market for so many years.
If I'm not mistaken, the SE is a very popular model (especially since the 2012 version wasn't much more coin than the base LE and you had a more visually appealing Camry). Perhaps this is targeting those that are looking at the SE and want something a little different from the neighbour's Camry SE.
Old 02-09-15, 07:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

SE has been 45% of sales so far, per Toyota... so it is most important version, thats why it gets Special Edition model... XSE is new so we dont know about its sales...
Old 02-09-15, 09:54 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as the profits go, that works best if the supply and demand scenario for the vehicle allows dealerships to charge more than list (ADM/Additional Dealer Markup) from high demand and low supply (in this case, 12,000 units). Though I agree (from my earlier posts) that Toyota will probably sell those 12,000 units, I don't see the demand for the Special Edition model being high enough for true ADMs and profiteering. After all, Special Edition or not, this is still, under the nice blue trim and equipment, basically a mid-size, bread and butter family sedan.
Originally Posted by spwolf
SE has been 45% of sales so far, per Toyota... so it is most important version, thats why it gets Special Edition model... XSE is new so we dont know about its sales...

This "Special Edition" is just another option package; the difference between this package and one such as the Convenience Package is that this is more of an appearance package than a functional package. But just like any other option package, it will make money for Toyota.

Toyota's option packages combine highly desirable (and possibly relatively high-cost) items (like Qi Wireless Charging) that are normally standard equipment on higher trims (Qi is available on the XSE and XLE), with low-cost (or perhaps even no-cost) items such as blue stitching and "special" floor mats, at a price that is greater than the cost of adding all these options on the assembly line (what is the difference of adding Qi to an SE or XSE on the line?).

By combining high-desire/high-cost items with lower-cost items, Toyota marketing justifies a package price that is high enough to make lots of money but just low enough that buyers believe that it is a bargain ("Get an SE with some of the features of the XSE, at a lower price").

Toyota could have added this option package to any lower-end model (LE or SE) but because the added bling of the higher-price (and extremely popular) SE over the LE already sells, Toyota can probably justify a higher option package price on the SE than if it was added to the LE.