Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Updated 2016 Avalon to debut in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-15, 01:45 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It makes no sense to debut them on Lexus models, Toyota sells in higher volumes so I imagine that economies of scale are what is most important.

Usually, a brand new engine will debut on a brand new platform. The 3.5, 4.7, 5.7 all were Toyota models. The 4.0 was a Taco/4Runner/Tundra in 05. Lexus had a few of their own.
Okay, Ill bite and play devil's advocate. Does it make sense for an ES350 owner to pay more for older engine tech and less power/less mpg than someone who buys a V6 Camry or Avalon? All while knowing that within 2 years, their car's engine will be replaced with that same newer engine? It would bother me greatly and I think Toyota knows this. This is the only reason why I can think of that the Highlander hybrid makes less power and less MPG than the RX450h. Same engine, same hybrid tech, yet detuned on the highlander to make the RX look better. This is the way it should be.
Old 02-07-15, 02:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Okay, Ill bite and play devil's advocate. Does it make sense for an ES350 owner to pay more for older engine tech and less power/less mpg than someone who buys a V6 Camry or Avalon? All while knowing that within 2 years, their car's engine will be replaced with that same newer engine? It would bother me greatly and I think Toyota knows this. This is the only reason why I can think of that the Highlander hybrid makes less power and less MPG than the RX450h. Same engine, same hybrid tech, yet detuned on the highlander to make the RX look better. This is the way it should be.
well ES is coming at the same time and it will have same engine...

I am not sure what you are arguing about though, Toyota already announced new engine in Tacoma, which means it will certainly come everywhere if it is in Tacoma.
Old 02-07-15, 03:40 PM
RXSF

Im not arguing. I am just saying they have to get the timing right. If they put the new engine in the ES, Camry, and Avalon at the same time, then great. If they debut in the Toyotas first, and then the ES, RX a year or two after, then I have a problem.
Old 02-07-15, 04:29 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Further lightened image:

Updated 2016 Avalon to debut in Chicago-j3o6edk.jpg
Old 02-07-15, 04:34 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The new front end looks much better.
Old 02-07-15, 04:35 PM
RXSF

Comparison to current model. Looks like they got rid of the fusion/aston martin bars and made the lower grill even larger.

Old 02-07-15, 05:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im not arguing. I am just saying they have to get the timing right. If they put the new engine in the ES, Camry, and Avalon at the same time, then great. If they debut in the Toyotas first, and then the ES, RX a year or two after, then I have a problem.
ES and RX are coming this year, I am sure they will have new V6 as well... dunno why wouldnt they.
Old 02-12-15, 01:21 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Look in the 'Second City:' The Refreshed 2016 Toyota Avalon Premium Mid-Sized Sedan
http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...show+debut.htm
-Updated Styling
-Retuned Suspension for Enhanced Comfort
-New LED Headlights and Taillights
-Upgraded Convenience Features
-2016 Camry and Corolla Special Editions Also Unveiled

Call it a trio of firsts in the Second City as the refreshed Toyota Avalon and sporty Camry and Corolla Special Editions made their world debuts at the 2015 Chicago Auto Show. The three models rode into Chicago with a head of steam as the Avalon, Camry and Corolla are each the sales leaders in their respective segments, a first for Toyota. All three vehicles are 2016 models and will go on sale later this fall.

Refreshed 2016 Avalon
Unveiled as all-new in 2012, the fourth-generation Avalon was the first vehicle to meet Toyota President Akio Toyoda’s challenge to create cars that spark people’s emotions. Toyota mixed its legendary Quality, Durability and Reliability (QDR) with a strong dose of emotion through fresh new styling, improved performance, and high-tech features. They proved to be winning ingredients as Avalon quickly grabbed the attention of mid-size premium car buyers in segment leading numbers.

Five distinct grades on the V6 models will give customers a wide array of choice (XLE, XLE Plus, XLE Premium, Limited and Touring). Hybrid customers can choose from three separate grades, adding luxury features and technology options as they move up the chain from XLE Plus to XLE Premium and Limited.

Two unique suspension systems were developed for the 2016 Avalon to better align with diverse customer preferences. One retuned suspension prioritizes a comfortable ride for the XLE through Limited grades. The other, provides a more dynamic and responsive driving experience for the Touring grade.

Both of these suspension tunings are new and represent significant improvements over the current production Avalon.

The refreshed 2016 Avalon adds more refinement with an array of styling, performance and technology enhancements. New features on all Avalon grades will include:

Wider lower front grille with narrow upper grille design
Newly-designed turn signals (replacing fog lights)
Refined LED taillights
Chrome rear bumper accent
New gray accent stitching with light gray interior
Additional new standard features on the XLE and XLE Plus grades include:
Redesigned 17-inch alloy wheels
7-inch Entune Audio Plus screen
Premium woodgrain dash ornamentation
Tire-specific Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Technology upgrades are added to the Avalon XLE Premium grade as it receives Entune™ Premium Audio with Navigation and App Suite and the Qi Wireless Charging as standard equipment. The performance-tuned Avalon Touring grade adds to its sporty styling with new standard features that include:

Redesigned 18-inch dark gray painted alloy wheels
New sporty front fascia
New LED headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
Unique “Touring” badge

The top-of-the-line Avalon Limited rounds out the updates with the addition of new 18-inch alloy Super Chrome wheels on gas models, and new 17-inch alloy Super Chrome wheels on the Limited hybrid (also optional on gas Limited). The Limited adds optional advanced safety features including automatic high beam headlights, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Pre-Collision System, and Lane Departure Alert.

Old 02-12-15, 02:07 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Toyota Avalon arrives in the Windy City [video]

Toyota has taken the wraps off the 2016 Avalon.

Looking instantly recognizable, the facelifted model has a new front fascia with a revised grille and new turn signals that replace the previous fog lights. The sedan also has additional chrome trim and LED taillights.

Interior changes are limited but there's new gray accent stitching on models with a light gray interior. XLE and XLE Plus variants also gain additional standard equipment including woodgrain trim, a 7-inch Entune Audio Plus infotainment system and restyled 17-inch alloy wheels.

The Avalon XLE Premium goes one step further as it gains a Qi wireless smartphone charger and an Entune Premium Audio system with GPS navigation.

Moving further up the range, the Avalon Touring has a sportier front fascia, LED headlights and LED daytime running lights. The model also has a sportier suspension and new 18-inch alloy wheels with dark gray painted accents.

Last but not least, the range-topping Avalon Limited boasts new 17- or 18-inch "Super Chrome" alloy wheels.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502128...ndy-city-video
Old 02-12-15, 02:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Still not sure of the new grill (the current one either) but this looks every bit as good, if not better than the ES.
Old 02-12-15, 02:47 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Comparison time

Old 02-12-15, 02:51 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the new one - a little cleaner looking.
Old 02-12-15, 02:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I like it, but cue the internet chat rooms declaring another Toyota now has an ugly grill, calling for designers to be fired, and claims that Toyota sales are about to plummet...
Old 02-12-15, 03:08 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Can't please everyone, but I think it looks good.
Old 02-12-15, 03:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Comparison time

Thanks for the comparison. Nice to see Toyota keeping things current and updated with the Avalon. It's a competitive market out there.

Quick Reply: Updated 2016 Avalon to debut in Chicago