Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 10:50 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would take the GX. it seems to hold its value really well. not to mention its less common.
Old 02-15-15, 06:42 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Honda Adding Second U.S. Production Location for Acura MDX from 2017

Honda has announced that it will build the Acura MDX in a second plant beginning in 2017. While MDX production will continue in Alabama alongside Honda Pilot, Odyssey and Ridgeline, Honda will also build the premium SUV in Ohio.

Honda will invest $85 million in East Liberty for the addition of new welding equipment, the extension of vehicle conveyors and other changes required to support production of the MDX. The East Liberty Plant currently builds the Acura RDX SUV, the Honda Crosstour and the Honda CR-V.

The Lincoln, Alabama plant is currently the exclusive production location for the Acura MDX, Honda Pilot SUV and Honda Odyssey. The plant will add a fourth model, the next generation Honda Ridgeline pickup truck, starting next year.

The move is aimed at helping meet growing demand for both Honda and Acura light trucks produced in North America, including the all-new 2016 Honda Pilot.

“Increasing our flexibility and fully utilizing available production resources is critical to our future growth, which will be driven heavily by our light truck business and new models like the Honda HR-V crossover and redesigned Pilot SUV,” said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/hon...roduction.html
Old 05-22-15, 09:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Car and Driver did a test on the 2016 MDX. Half a second quicker then the pre refresh, 0-60 5.9 seconds, that is quicker then what CD got for the X5 and Q7 I believe, pretty impressive. I had read they were going to focus a little more on performance then fuel economy with the update/transmission tuning for the 2016 MDX but the new MDX still managed to get 2mpg better then the 2014 in their tests.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review

The 2016 version of Acura’s bestselling model may look the same as last year’s, but there’s a lot going on behind that chiseled visage. For starters, the MDX crossover gets a new ZF nine-speed automatic transmission. Adding three more cogs creates a wider ratio spread than in the previous model’s six-speed, ostensibly helping to keep the MDX’s 290-hp 3.5-liter V-6 in the more efficient parts of its power and torque bands. Not that last year’s 290-hp/six-speed combo was a laggard, but Acura, like all automakers, is looking to improve the EPA estimates of its vehicles however it can. And apparently, Honda’s luxury arm is more comfortable offering a nine-speed than a continuously variable automatic.

First is a superlow creeper gear. The MDX storms out of the hole from rest using a 20.4:1 overall ratio (first-gear ratio times final-drive ratio, not counting help from the torque converter) and sprints to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds, half a second quicker than the 2014 model we tested with the six-speed automatic. It then continues on to a 95-mph quarter-mile trap speed in 14.6 seconds, three-tenths more rapid than the 2014. You’re into second gear before you can finish saying “Acura.” Wide-open-throttle shifts are torque-clipped and quick. Of course, having more gears doesn’t necessarily mean the transmission quickly finds the right gear—as sometimes when tipping in with part throttle at 20 to 35 mph it will lug in a too-tall gear for a while. But mostly, there’s a whole lot of shiftin’ going on.

Buttons and Bumps

About that shifting: driver inputs are via buttons instead of a lever, as is the case on nine-speed versions of the new TLX sedan. Although off-putting at first, like learning to play the clarinet, we eventually got the hang of it. There are some instances, perhaps when trying to do a quick three-point U-turn in front of an approaching semi, where you might yearn for the Neanderthal familiarity of a PRNDL shift lever. With the push-button setup, you need to take your eyes off the road, look down, find the desired button and push it (or pull a switch back in the case of reverse). Eliminating the console shifter does free up access to the bottom of the center stack, but the button farm takes up about the same amount of real estate on the console as did the old shifter.

Another new-for-2016 feature is “idle stop.” Like other automatic stop-start systems, Acura’s shuts down the engine at stoplights to save fuel. That’s partially responsible for a 1-mpg bump in the EPA city fuel-economy rating. There is also a bump felt as the engine abruptly restarts after an idle stop; it’s not as harsh as we’ve experienced in some BMWs and Porsches, but it’s not the silky awakening of a similarly equipped Mercedes-Benz, either. Overall, we saw an average of 21 mpg with the 2016 MDX while in our lead-footed care, a 2-mpg improvement over the six-speed MDX we tested in 2014.

Semiautonomously Yours

As with other luxury-brand crossovers, Acura lards the MDX with technology features. For 2016, we see the expansion of AcuraWatch to all versions of the MDX. Our $58,000 test vehicle, equipped with the Advance and Entertainment packages, also featured rear cross-traffic monitoring (a nice feature for all large crossovers and vehicles with wide C- or D-pillars), Road Departure Mitigation, and Collision Mitigation Braking. A monocular camera needs to be able to “see” the road or another car or object for the latter two systems to function. Thanks to poor road maintenance, we couldn’t depend on the “active steering force” of the road-departure system. Sometimes it worked and other times we might have gone sailing off into the weeds. However, when we tested the collision-mitigation system on a similar Honda/Acura product at a test track, it never failed to do a full-ABS stop short of the parked “balloon car” stand-in vehicle at 20, 30, and 40 mph with no driver intervention. Very cathartic. Having said that, our test MDX suffered brake fade after just a few ABS stops were executed to record its 185-foot, 70-mph-to-zero stopping distance.

But at its core, the Acura MDX remains one of our favorite seven-passenger crossovers. The 2016 transmission and technology updates help keep it competitive in its class and take nothing away from its spirited handling and fun-to-drive character.
Old 09-14-15, 07:23 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Seriously thinking about getting one for our stable as we need something bigger than our current 2012 Ford Edge. This looks like it might fit the bill. Just not thrilled with the looks but I showed the wife pictures and she likes it.
Old 09-14-15, 07:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

why not a '16 rx? or do you want/need third row?
Old 09-14-15, 08:05 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why not a '16 rx? or do you want/need third row?
My wife is harping about having a 3rd row but I will have her take a look at the RX in person to see if I can get her to change her mind. I would much rather have the RX. I'm also curious to see how they price out the RX with the Safety package and Entertainment package compared to the MDX. A fully loaded MDX comes out to an MSRP of about $58k.
Old 09-14-15, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Another new-for-2016 feature is “idle stop.” Like other automatic stop-start systems, Acura’s shuts down the engine at stoplights to save fuel. That’s partially responsible for a 1-mpg bump in the EPA city fuel-economy rating. There is also a bump felt as the engine abruptly restarts after an idle stop; it’s not as harsh as we’ve experienced in some BMWs and Porsches, but it’s not the silky awakening of a similarly equipped Mercedes-Benz, either. Overall, we saw an average of 21 mpg with the 2016 MDX while in our lead-footed care, a 2-mpg improvement over the six-speed MDX we tested in 2014.
That's why automakers should have an on/off switch for that idle-stop function (some, in fact, do). A number of drivers find that annoying...I've never liked it myself, despite the slight edge in fuel-economy.
Old 09-14-15, 05:40 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's why automakers should have an on/off switch for that idle-stop function (some, in fact, do). A number of drivers find that annoying...I've never liked it myself, despite the slight edge in fuel-economy.
I believe they all offer a by-pass switch for the Stop Start (except the hybrids).

Acura's button is down by their button shifter