Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-SA Concept @ Geneva Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 06:10 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes sense to unveil the new CT in Geneva since Europe is one of its primary markets.
Old 02-04-15, 07:28 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The front looks identical to the current one but the back looks more smoothed out. If this is the '16 GS, I'm disappointed to put it mildly.
Old 02-04-15, 11:11 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
looks like old one... funnier one is 3 door IS.
That looks like the RC.

Originally Posted by 1101GS
The current model does not come with this color. The car looks the same as a GS with premium package. If this is a new color, that may mean it's a 16 model. I hope I'm wrong.
Perhaps the refreshed GS won't debut at Geneva.
Old 02-04-15, 11:53 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no, 500 and long since done. there are some still for sale at dealers.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw some for sale on cars.com. Am I wrong for being surprised? I always thought they were overpriced but wow.
Old 02-05-15, 12:32 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw some for sale on cars.com. Am I wrong for being surprised? I always thought they were overpriced but wow.
Rumor has it they will appreciate in price.
Old 02-05-15, 05:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
That looks like the RC.

Perhaps the refreshed GS won't debut at Geneva.
i think it is likely that they would not show their updated cars on floor plan like that.

Plus, there is certainly a 3 door IS, and behind it there is a RC.. they are just having fun.
Old 02-05-15, 06:06 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Rumor has it they will appreciate in price.
Ha. I'll believe it when I see it. This doesn't have "instant classic" written on it like the Ford GT (which has appreciated) and it really didn't break any performance records. Reminds me of the Mercedes-McLaren SLR.
Old 02-05-15, 07:36 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
The front looks identical to the current one but the back looks more smoothed out. If this is the '16 GS, I'm disappointed to put it mildly.
Those just some scattered 3D models as placeholders for visualization purposes.
Old 02-05-15, 08:39 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Ha. I'll believe it when I see it. This doesn't have "instant classic" written on it like the Ford GT (which has appreciated) and it really didn't break any performance records. Reminds me of the Mercedes-McLaren SLR.
Japanese supercar, check. Recognizable and desirable sound, check. Only 500 made, check. No direct successor planned, check.

LFA won't be depreciate any time soon.

Also if actual performance determined depreciation, half the collectors market would be overpriced.
Old 02-05-15, 09:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Japanese supercar, check. Recognizable and desirable sound, check. Only 500 made, check. No direct successor planned, check.

LFA won't be depreciate any time soon.

Also if actual performance determined depreciation, half the collectors market would be overpriced.
Japanese supercar automatically equals appreciation? First time I've heard that one.

500 made? Yes the rarity is a good point...but judging by the horrifically slow sales (we're 3 years past the MY now) I'm not going to count on that one either.

Sound? Uh...you're reaching. I'm not sure that's enough to make a car appreciate.

Most cars that appreciate did something special in the market place- that's what I mean by performance. The vast majority of collector cars did just that. The LF-A was just...there. I don't think it's going to depreciate like a rock or anything, just merely staying steady in value. It's just not an iconic car like say...the Ford GT or Acura NSX. Unless you're a Lexus enthusiast that is, and if you are then the LF-A was a incredibly fantastic first effort.
Old 02-06-15, 08:23 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Japanese supercar automatically equals appreciation? First time I've heard that one.

500 made? Yes the rarity is a good point...but judging by the horrifically slow sales (we're 3 years past the MY now) I'm not going to count on that one either.

Sound? Uh...you're reaching. I'm not sure that's enough to make a car appreciate.

Most cars that appreciate did something special in the market place- that's what I mean by performance. The vast majority of collector cars did just that. The LF-A was just...there. I don't think it's going to depreciate like a rock or anything, just merely staying steady in value. It's just not an iconic car like say...the Ford GT or Acura NSX. Unless you're a Lexus enthusiast that is, and if you are then the LF-A was a incredibly fantastic first effort.
Maybe not appreciate immediately but if in 5 years you want an LFA, you'll be paying for it. Even moreso in 10-20 years as a collector. Owners can charge whatever they want.
Old 02-06-15, 09:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I dont know about appreciation in value, but to say that LFA is "just...there" is ridiculous.
Old 02-06-15, 10:53 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
I dont know about appreciation in value, but to say that LFA is "just...there" is ridiculous.
Care to expand? I didn't mean that its performance wasn't excellent or anything like that...but what did it do to advance the game? I don't really have an answer. Open to hear what it did do if I'm missing something. Perhaps I'm not giving its almost perfect dynamics and sound enough credit. I tend to focus on its dated transmission, love it or hate it styling, and performance that cheaper cars could match.

EDIT: Found a used one on cars.com for under $300k with almost 8k on it. This car really reminds me of the SLR.

Last edited by TangoRed; 02-06-15 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-06-15, 03:41 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll see if it goes the way of that other Toyota supercar that seemingly tanked in the US... 2000GT

Back on topic; I think the comments about the vehicle being "range-orientated" is interesting. Maybe it will preview the next iteration of the L-Finesse design.
Old 02-06-15, 05:19 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

So do we know if the LF-LC is going to be more of a S-class coupe or more of a 911?

Originally Posted by Nights
We'll see if it goes the way of that other Toyota supercar that seemingly tanked in the US... 2000GT
I've never read that the 2000GT was slow selling, just that it set FIA world speed and endurance records. That car did tons for Toyota and the Japanese auto industry in general. Totally different situation. It is considered the first Japanese supercar, after all.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-SA Concept @ Geneva Auto Show