Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Advice Needed: Gs300 or Es330?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 06:22 PM
Maineguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed: Gs300 or Es330?

I'm new to the forum and I am currently looking at a one owner, dealer serviced 2003 Gs300 with 135k miles. I'm not sure if this is the car for my wife. We live in Maine and currently have 30+ inches of snow on the ground already this winter. I have no idea as to how well this car will handle in snow and ice. We both are careful drivers and have driven rear wheel drive Mercedes before. Also not sure if a 2002-2005 Es300/330 would be better on gas, repairs and handling in snow because of the front wheel drive. Any advice or opinions would really be appreciated.
Old 02-02-15, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to the forum as a new poster.

More recent versions of the GS offer AWD as an option for those tough Maine winters, but Consumer Reports flagged them for worse reliability than other Lexus products.

I'm a big fan of the 4Gen ES300/330...the version you are considering. I've long considered it the best ES version ever done (better, IMO, than its 5Gen and 6Gen successors). It had the best interior trim, the smoothest ride, and the best overall fit/finish....later versions fell prey to cost-cutting, creaks/rattles, a firmer ride, and the use of thinner lighter materials. The ES's FWD, of course, will (all else equal) do better in snow than a RWD GS.....but not as good as AWD. Unlike GS models, some older versions of the ES could use regular gas for savings at the pump, but don't remember, right off hand, if the 4Gen ES could.

Some versions of the 4Gen ES, though, did have a couple of engine/transmission response/shift issues with the electronic ECU. There were a couple of factory TSB's/computer re-flashes on that issue.....make sure any ES of that generation you consider has had the re-flash done.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-02-15 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 10:05 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to the forum as a new poster.

More recent versions of the GS offer AWD as an option for those tough Maine winters, but Consumer Reports flagged them for worse reliability than other Lexus products.

I'm a big fan of the 4Gen ES300/330...the version you are considering. I've long considered it the best ES version ever done (better, IMO, than its 5Gen and 6Gen successors). It had the best interior trim, the smoothest ride, and the best overall fit/finish....later versions fell prey to cost-cutting, creaks/rattles, a firmer ride, and the use of thinner lighter materials. The ES's FWD, of course, will (all else equal) do better in snow than a RWD GS.....but not as good as AWD. Unlike GS models, some older versions of the ES could use regular gas for savings at the pump, but don't remember, right off hand, if the 4Gen ES could.

Some versions of the 4Gen ES, though, did have a couple of engine/transmission response/shift issues with the electronic ECU. There were a couple of factory TSB's/computer re-flashes on that issue.....make sure any ES of that generation you consider has had the re-flash done.
Do you have experience with Rx330 2004. What need to be check of getting a used one at 72k miles. Thanks!
Old 02-03-15, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EthanV
Do you have experience with Rx330 2004. What need to be check of getting a used one at 72k miles. Thanks!
No, I haven't actually owned one, but one thing that an RX at that age and/or mileage will likely need, if not already done, is a timing-belt replacement.
Old 02-03-15, 11:13 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
No need to worry about it....From 2004-2006 it used the 3.3L V6, while it seems UNDERpower (@ 230 hp) it is very smooth for this vehicle. We have an 04 AWD at 140k miles now and it is still very smooth are QUIET.

You might need timing belt/water pump, other belts when it hits 100k miles.
Old 02-03-15, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
You might need timing belt/water pump, other belts when it hits 100k miles.
That is only partly correct. Rubber timing belts can also wear out with time or age, not just mileage. That's why replacement is recommended at a certain age OR mileage....usually somewhere between 5-7 years and/or 60-100K miles.
Old 02-03-15, 05:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I might be in the minority, but for snow duty I prefer a heavy RWD car or truck vs FWD in the snow. This is considering both cars are running normal/narrower tire sizes(315/35R17 performance tires like my old Camaro had suck in the snow, they act like snow shoes).

The main thing with RWD cars is load the trunk/bed with 50-100lbs, otherwise they're undrivable. FWD is better for getting you moving from a dead stop, but IMO its dangerous if you start to skid or slide in a turn. You start plowing, just hold on and pray the front wheels grab traction.

With RWD, if you start to skid, you can get it back under control with a quick stab of the throttle and some opposite lock in the steering. Plus since its harder to get going because of the reduced traction, you tend not to drive as fast.
Old 02-03-15, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I might be in the minority, but for snow duty I prefer a heavy RWD car or truck vs FWD in the snow. This is considering both cars are running normal/narrower tire sizes(315/35R17 performance tires like my old Camaro had suck in the snow, they act like snow shoes).
True.....and this is a growing problem for many cars today, which seem to be getting larger wheels and lower-profile tires with every redesign.

FWD is better for getting you moving from a dead stop, but IMO its dangerous if you start to skid or slide in a turn. You start plowing, just hold on and pray the front wheels grab traction.
When that happens, today's stability systems (if you leave them turned on) correct for that by automatically braking the inside wheels (mostly the rear inside) just enough to allow the outside front wheel to speed up and tighten up the turn.

With RWD, if you start to skid, you can get it back under control with a quick stab of the throttle and some opposite lock in the steering. Plus since its harder to get going because of the reduced traction, you tend not to drive as fast.
Again, stability systems help, but as you note, RWD has less drive-wheels traction to begin with.
Old 02-03-15, 06:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

GS is the better car when new but it depends on how well these cars were maintained.

None are ideal for winter driving in the snow.

I would get a used subaru forester or outback wagon if i was in your place.
Old 02-03-15, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I would get a used subaru forester or outback wagon if i was in your place.
I had an Outback for six years. It was, hands-down, the best winter car I ever owned. Nothing else even came close.
Old 02-03-15, 07:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

The ES will be a little better on gas and drive more confidently in snow. Plus factor in a shared V6/powertrain with the Camry, parts are cheaper and more readily available if something were to go wrong vs the more "exotic" inline six in the GS300. Putting these aside, I personally prefer the GS though.