Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study finds nine models with zero driver fatalities

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 05:13 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the more sexy statistic: 0-60 mph of 4.0 secs, or 0 deaths per million vehicles? Just from casual perusing of the top auto websites, the answer is obvious. For example, I just checked Car and Driver's ranking of midsize luxury crossovers. The usual suspects hold the top 9 spots, headed by the Porsche Macan (followed by a bevy of German cars and some British makes mixed in). At the number 10 spot and the only non-European make is the Lexus RX 350. But according to this IIHS report, a different ranking should have been reported by Car and Driver. Indeed, CD can't even be bothered to report this important IIHS press release anywhere in its website.

Last edited by gyrase321; 01-31-15 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-31-15, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
What's the more sexy statistic: 0-60 mph of 4.0 secs, or 0 deaths per million vehicles? Just from casual perusing of the top auto websites, the answer is obvious.
Neither one, IMHO.

(Sometimes) those attempting to DO 0-60 in 4 seconds simply add to the total of deaths per million miles.
Old 01-31-15, 05:34 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Neither one, IMHO.

(Sometimes) those attempting to DO 0-60 in 4 seconds simply add to the total of deaths per million miles.
True that.
Old 01-31-15, 07:12 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting that the Smart-for-Two and Scion iQ aren't in the Top Ten. True, the iQ has had very low sales, and (perhaps) not enough of a data-base to have any meaningful data. But the Smart has been on the market for several years, and should have a substantial database by now. And, of course, it goes without saying that these two vehicles are so small that, even with up to date Federally-required safety gear on them, in real-world crashes with larger vehicles, these two vehicles (and their occupants) are likely to come out on the short end.

Aren't most fatalities due to high speed collisions? I have never seen either of those on the highway. What is the top speed?

I am somewhat surprised to see the chevy truck listed. Is it because of number sold? Or is it a death trap?
Old 01-31-15, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LazarusLng
Aren't most fatalities due to high speed collisions?
In general, yes.....but vast differences in vehicle size and weight (such as, say, between a Smart and a Chevy Suburban) can cause injuries or fatalities in a small car even if the impact is not all that severe.

I have never seen either of those on the highway.
The Scion iQ has not sold well anywhere, but the Smart for Two is fairly common here in the D.C. area, which includes a Beltway and Interstate Highways 95 and 66.
Old 01-31-15, 08:56 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woohoo!
Old 01-31-15, 09:01 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LazarusLng
Aren't most fatalities due to high speed collisions? I have never seen either of those on the highway. What is the top speed?

I am somewhat surprised to see the chevy truck listed. Is it because of number sold? Or is it a death trap?
I always see them in the highway here and leaves me scratching my head. What's the appeal? Mpg? No, other cars can match or exceed it. Safety? No better cars out there. Price? No, one can get an Honda civic, accord in some cases, Toyota corrola, Mazda etc for the same price.
Give me ONE benefit to having this car. Prior to buying a car I always ask "would I put my kid in it?" Smart car? No is my answer.
Old 01-31-15, 09:21 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
I always see them in the highway here and leaves me scratching my head. What's the appeal? Mpg? No, other cars can match or exceed it. Safety? No better cars out there. Price? No, one can get an Honda civic, accord in some cases, Toyota corrola, Mazda etc for the same price.
Give me ONE benefit to having this car. Prior to buying a car I always ask "would I put my kid in it?" Smart car? No is my answer.
Smart cars are for densely populated urban areas with their ease of parking/maneuverability, anyone using a smart car to commute miles daily on the freeway is doing it wrong.
Old 01-31-15, 09:21 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Camaro being high on the fatality list doesn't surprise me. Especially for how cheap you can buy 4th gen LS1 V8 Camaros now days. 3-5k will buy you a good, high mile runner that might look kind of rough. This is a car that will do 160mph, 0-60 in under 5 seconds, and run a low 13 second quarter mile at 104+mph. It takes a judicious right foot to put all that power down too, as you can easily smoke the tires all the way through 1st and part of 2nd. Run bald tires or put your foot down in the rain, you will die.

Really the entry barrier for young guys on that car isn't the price, its the insurance premiums.
Old 02-01-15, 03:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Smart cars are for densely populated urban areas with their ease of parking/maneuverability, anyone using a smart car to commute miles daily on the freeway is doing it wrong.
True, but there are a surprising number of new-car buyers who have little or no idea what they're doing. Anyone, though, it seems, with a normal mind, who has had primary or secondary school and even the most rudimentary introduction to physics, should be able to put a simple 2 and 2 together and see that a major impact in a Smart-for-Two with a larger vehicle, even with its hyped Mercedes safety-engineering, is not going to be good news.
Old 02-01-15, 03:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Really the entry barrier for young guys on that car isn't the price, its the insurance premiums.
Watch how many of them drive Mustangs and Camaros (particularly Mustang V8s) and you'll see why. Not all of them are irresponsible, but, unfortunately, more than their share.
Old 02-01-15, 06:04 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

And, mathematically, one cannot overrule the basic laws of physics and kinetic energy.....all else equal, in an impact, a larger, heavier vehicle will be deflected less and deformed less.
is this a true statement for single-car crashes versus immovable guardrail or tree?
Old 02-01-15, 09:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes many factors at play. i noticed that most of the 'less deaths' list were suv/cuvs and many on the 'more deaths' list were tiny econoboxes. for years it's been debated it tiny cars are less safe simply because there's less vehicle between the occupants and the outside to absorb impacts.

but the suv/cuv finding doesn't necessarily make them safe (although i think they are), it might also indicate people driving those types of vehicles just tend to drive less aggressively and more cautiously/defensively.

i'd say overall it's the DRIVERS of the vehicles that are the biggest factor.
I wouldn't read too much into the list. Just like CR, it can be skewed many ways.

The first list of supposed safe cars are lower volume cars, a Sequoia/Hybrid Highlander/Odyssey sell nowhere near the volume levels of the Ford Focus or Chevy 1500. So the chances will be greater in the smaller cars which obviously sell in higher volumes.
Old 02-01-15, 09:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

If that were the case, then V8 Mustangs would probably be on top. Though not all my any means, as a group, they have more classic idiots behind the wheel than just about any other single vehicle model I've seen. I've seen (or heard about) many teens and young adults injured or killed in them while drag-racing.
well, i don't know what you've seen, but i wouldn't read much into it as you (nor anyone) obviously can't see very much of the available cars on the road. my experience is mustang v8's are driven by many middle-aged men who'd like to have a corvette but can't afford one. and i don't see them driving recklessly at all.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wouldn't read too much into the list. Just like CR, it can be skewed many ways.
exactly.

The first list of supposed safe cars are lower volume cars, a Sequoia/Hybrid Highlander/Odyssey sell nowhere near the volume levels of the Ford Focus or Chevy 1500. So the chances will be greater in the smaller cars which obviously sell in higher volumes.
no, you're reading it wrong. the rates are calculated relative to the same volume regardless of sales. see the full article on yahoo.
Old 02-01-15, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my experience is mustang v8's are driven by many middle-aged men who'd like to have a corvette but can't afford one. and i don't see them driving recklessly at all.
Well, bit, I'll respect your opinion and your experience, but, if I had a dollar, over the years, for every time I saw some idiot in a Mustang GT, SVT, or Cobra cut me or someone else off with some idiotic or dangerous high-speed maneuver, or a dollar for every Mustang-driving young kid in the newspaper whose parents will never see them again, or not see them in one piece, I could probably buy a Mustang with it.

Quick Reply: Study finds nine models with zero driver fatalities