Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Washington, D.C. Auto Show Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Took about one year for the creaks/rattles to start up. They were louder/more frequent in cold weather.
That's normal. Warmer temperatures cause parts and their seals to expand, press against each other more tightly, lessen tolerances, and prevent the rubbing and slipping that causes creaks and rattles. And not just convertibles.....all else equal, you will usually notice fewer rattles/squeaks on almost any vehicle in warmer weather.
Old 01-29-15, 08:58 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's normal. Warmer temperatures cause parts and their seals to expand, press against each other more tightly, lessen tolerances, and prevent the rubbing and slipping that causes creaks and rattles. And not just convertibles.....all else equal, you will usually notice fewer rattles/squeaks on almost any vehicle in warmer weather.
Of course. Didn't help I regularly lowered the top in high 50 degree weather. That doesn't take away from the fact that it had a pathetic amount of creaks and rattles that my mother's Mercedes SL didn't have. I'm convinced it's the 3 piece roof design, but haven't investigated Volvo C70's or the Volkswagen Eos.
Old 01-29-15, 09:25 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What mmarshall said. With current non-luxury models using more and more clips to hold plastic pieces together (instead of screws), they can become loose as the car ages (normal wear & tear since no one on this continent drives on pristine roads). At -40, the car is fine new but a few years later, rattles like no tomorrow (mostly the tonneau cover but I added two felt pieces to shrink the gap) and more recently, the centre console. trim between the console box and the shifter on my Prius (but not at -40 temps... more like 30s-40s).
Old 01-29-15, 09:51 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
What mmarshall said. With current non-luxury models using more and more clips to hold plastic pieces together (instead of screws), they can become loose as the car ages (normal wear & tear since no one on this continent drives on pristine roads). At -40, the car is fine new but a few years later, rattles like no tomorrow (mostly the tonneau cover but I added two felt pieces to shrink the gap) and more recently, the centre console. trim between the console box and the shifter on my Prius (but not at -40 temps... more like 30s-40s).

That's not limited to non-luxury cars .

My point its not like temperature variances are a new concept- we've known about the effects of heat and cold on seals, metal, and plastics for a very long time. Rattles are very annoying and one of my biggest pet peeves. That being said, my current cars have been fantastic in that regard.
Old 01-30-15, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's not limited to non-luxury cars .

My point its not like temperature variances are a new concept- we've known about the effects of heat and cold on seals, metal, and plastics for a very long time. Rattles are very annoying and one of my biggest pet peeves. That being said, my current cars have been fantastic in that regard.
I agree rattles and squeaks can be annoying. But, fortunately, overall, that is one area (among many) where today's vehicles, in general, are much better than those I grew up with and learned to drive on back in the late 1960s. Back then, especially once a car was no longer brand-new, unless it was raining (wet seals, even when cold, often help prevent rattles), you pretty much had to get used to at least some rattles if you were going to drive, period. Chrysler products, back then, with their unitized bodies, generally had fewer rattles than Ford/GM/AMC products and their bolted-on separate bodies and frames, but the Chrysler torsion/leaf suspensions were firmer and could transmit more road-impacts to the car's structure, which of course, amplify what rattles you already have.

Today, of course, with the exception of some Ford Crown Vic/Mercury Grand Marquis/Lincoln Town Cars still running around mostly as taxis and police cars (and they have been discontinued at the factory) virtually all new vehicles are either unibody or space-frame/body-panel in their design. In addition, computer-matched metal alloys for the frames are available for added strength...computer-engineering for vehicles, on a large scale, pretty much didn't exist back in the 60s. This helps not only with the elimination (or lessening) of rattles/squeaks in today's cars, but also in the tendency of the frames to bend/twist in a lateral or longitudinal fashion, which helps the suspension and steering mechanisms do their jobs properly. That's why, in car-ads, manufacturers like to tote numbers (in percentages) showing how much more rigid each new frame is in a redesign and how much it resists deformation.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-15 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-30-15, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
they can become loose as the car ages (normal wear & tear since no one on this continent drives on pristine roads).
In general, though there are some exceptions, the milder the climate, the smoother the roads. The freeze/thaw cycle of water/salt/ice on winter roads (and the expansion/contraction of the road surface itself from heat/cold) is just murder on smooth roads.....it will quickly form cracks and potholes. That's why, for instance, roads in Florida and along the Gulf Coast, where it rarely freezes, are often glass-smooth compared to, say, the Great Lakes region and parts of the Northeast, where winter conditions on roads are just brutal, and pavement can be like the surface of the moon. The desert Southwest also avoids a lot of the freeze/thaw cycles, but the intense dry heat can buckle road surfaces. Coastal California has a wonderfully mild climate year-around, but the frequent earthquakes and tremors also cause road damage from buckling and cracking.
Old 01-30-15, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hit the show for a few hours again today, though there really wasn't much to add to my previous report. I spent most of the time checking out some things for my family and friends....and one or two CL-member requests. Didn't even have to use one of my free show-passes....one of the the ticket-takers at the lower-entrance gate was half-asleep as I walked by and didn't even turn his head or check my hand for ink-prints. So, I quickly took the free entrance while I had it....that's not cheating.

Kia had their ride/drive circuit set up outside today, so I briefly tried out the current-generation Sportage (something my brother is quite interested in, since he may need an AWD vehicle soon and gets wonderful service on his Soul from one of the local Kia shops), and the all-new Sedona minivan.

Might (?) go back for the final day Sunday afternoon....I'm not sure yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-15 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 07:38 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the continual coverage!
Old 01-31-15, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Thanks for the continual coverage!
Glad to help. I may (?) be going back tomorrow afternoon (the show's last day), particularly if Mazda decides to set up its outside Ride/Drive circuit (Toyota, Kia, and Scion have been hogging the available space for the last several days). I'd like to briefly check out the CX-5, which I haven't sampled yet (I really wanted to see the new CX-3 and Miata, but Mazda crapped out on the D.C. show and took them both to Detroit instead, where it probably does make more sense from an international press-introduction point of view).
Old 01-31-15, 12:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

I grabbed some lunch and started reading . Good play-by-play Mike and looking forward to some pics you have on your phone...

A couple things caught my attention:

1. Infiniti - Any mention of the next QX50? Current EX/QX50 is long in the tooth overdue...
2. Mustang - are the seat bolsters as firm/constraining as the NX F Sport's or tighter?
3. IS - smart move by Lexus to put it on stilts Would love to see an "upskirt" LOL of it.
4. Acura - TLX impressions? How about word on the refreshed RDX?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-15, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I grabbed some lunch and started reading . Good play-by-play Mike and looking forward to some pics you have on your phone...
Thanks....but those shots probably aren't anything that people haven't already posted from the Detroit show.

1. Infiniti - Any mention of the next QX50? Current EX/QX50 is long in the tooth overdue...
I'll probably be going back tomorrow for the last day.....will check on that for you. The EX35/QX50 is actually quite a nice vehicle and quite well-built, though, except for the obviously way too small rear cargo area from the drop-down roofline and short rear overhang. I don't quite get why the Infiniti stylists shaped the roof and rear cargo area the way they did...it doesn't make sense.

Here's my review, BTW, of the 1Gen EX35/QX50, BTW, if you haven't seen it. I did it several years ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-ex35-awd.html

2. Mustang - are the seat bolsters as firm/constraining as the NX F Sport's or tighter?
I sat in both. To me and my big torso/rump, the Mustang's front bolsters felt significant more narrow, firmer, and confining than those in the NX F-Sport....which is probably not surprising, considering that the Mustang GT is a considerably more sport-oriented vehicle than an NX, even in F-Sport trim. Those driving the Mustang GT will also (likely) be younger and somewhat thinner than those in the NX. ...the Mustang GT strongly appeals to those in their teens and early twenties, before they have had a chance to really get porky.

3. IS - smart move by Lexus to put it on stilts Would love to see an "upskirt" LOL of it.
Yes....the F-Sport underwear turned out to be quite popular as a display. Apparantly, a lot of showgoers decided to place their trust in the steel poles holding up that car not collapsing.

4. Acura - TLX impressions? How about word on the refreshed RDX?
Yes, I did check out the TLX....they had several versions out on the floor unlocked, as that will probably be their new Bread-and-Butter sedan. It has quite a price differential between standard 2.4L and V6 versions, especially with options. They had a 2.4L there that listed for 31K and a V6 that was well over 40K.....don't remember the exact amount. Typical Acura precision build-quality and good workmanship. A good-size car, too...not as large as the RLX flagship, but I'd say easily mid-size...probably on the large end of mid-sized, and definitely larger than the Honda Accord. According to Acura, it was meant to replace both the former TSX and TL....but, IMO, I'd say it replaces the TL more than the TSX....those former TSX owners will (probably) feel more at home in the ILX. One of the most impressive features on the new TLX is its pair of new transmissions. Although 8 or 9 speeds, to me, seems like overkill, nevertheless, there is a regular 8-speed Sport-Shift torque-converter automatic made by ZF, and a nine-speed Sport-Shift automatic that combines a dual clutch shift-mechanism for preciseness with a regular torque-converter for smoothness...a first in the auto industry for regular mass-production vehicles.

I didn't specifically ask about the new RDX, but, as with the QX50, I'll check on that tomorrow afternoon for you. I'll come back and update both (if I find out anything) tomorrow night

In the meantime, BTW......we have a CAR CHAT thread-topic on the new RDX.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...auto-show.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-15 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-01-15, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I was entirely underwhelmed by the TSX at the show myself. Acura just doesn't do anything for me inside, and to me it felt like a nice Honda, as all Acuras do.
Old 02-01-15, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I was entirely underwhelmed by the TSX at the show myself. Acura just doesn't do anything for me inside, and to me it felt like a nice Honda, as all Acuras do.
Did you mean the TLX? (I'm assuming yes).

I agree the styling wasn't anything out of the ordinary (it won't stand out from the pack), but it seemed well-assembled, using good materials, like most Acura products.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-15 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-01-15, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Infiniti - Any mention of the next QX50? Current EX/QX50 is long in the tooth overdue...
The Infiniti people at the show said it will basically be the Q30 Concept....whatever the production version of that becomes.

http://www.infinitiusa.com/now/futur...0-concept.html

How about word on the refreshed RDX?
It will be unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show.
Old 02-01-15, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Did you mean the TLX? (I'm assuming yes).

I agree the styling wasn't anything out of the ordinary (it won't stand out from the pack), but it seemed well-assembled, using good materials, like most Acura products.
I think the auto correct on my Mac changed "TLX" to "TSX" lol.

Yeah its an okay car. Not anything I could ever have any passion for.

Quick Reply: 2015 Washington, D.C. Auto Show Report