Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

crazy car buying story

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 06:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts
Default crazy car buying story

Not sure I’d believe this car buying story if I heard it about someone else!

So as some on here know, for the past year my ’06 V8 Explorer was starting to feel long in the tooth even though it’s run great and been really ideal for my needs. For a really heavy V8 SUV the 17-20mpg I’ve gotten in it isn’t that bad either.

I wanted another ‘utility’ vehicle of some kind. Vs sedans, I prefer the higher seating, the cargo room, the ease of loading/unloading, things most people like utility vehicles for.

I really had no interest in 3 rows, but recognized it might come to that. I went back and forth on numerous vehicles while watching new models come out (or coming out), my Explorer miles go up and trade-in value dwindle. What to get, how much to spend…

Obviously I looked at another Explorer. The newest one is MUCH bigger than the one I have and felt like steering a container ship! It’s quiet and comfortable though, but I just didn’t want to think about driving and parking that beast, so I passed. Also looked at Edge, Escape, C-Max, Flex to round out the Ford offerings. None really floated my boat (Escape probably closest) but one thing that bothered me was endless reported problems with the MyFord Touch system. It has apparently gotten better now, but anyway…

I looked at Venza, Prius V, Highlander, 4Runner. Venza didn’t have enough room. Prius V felt like El Cheapo inside, 4Runner still has a 5 speed auto (seriously?) and an entertainment display the size of a coaster. Came closest to Highlander but getting one with a tech package (I wanted radar cruise) was impossible without also getting an $1800 rear seat ‘entertainment’ bluray craptastic package. Also, while the drivetrain and driving of the Highlander was EXCELLENT, I found many trim aspects from second row back to be REALLY CHEAP. Finally, it didn’t offer LED tails, HID headlights, not that they were critical, but for that kind of money on the top model you’d kinda figure it would be there. Probably will be in the refresh but moving on…

Acura’s MDX is very nice but pricey for top package and again, the ‘tech’ package includes rear seat entertainment which would be a total waste for me.

Why not a Lexus RX350 you say? A friend has had a couple and now has a brand new one and I feel it’s not that special, nor particularly quiet for that kind of money. Great vehicle though.

’15 Kia Sorento looked and drove ok (great actually) but lacked the safety goodies I wanted. The ’16 would have them but availability was almost non-existent at this time and the safety goodies are only available (optionally) on the top SX Limited trim. I knew I’d have a better chance of finding Sasquatch. The non-identical Hyundai twin, the Santa Fe is nice as well, but still needs the safety goodies like the amazing new Sonata has.

Then I looked at Dodge Durango (which I learned is built on the same chassis as the Mercedes GL from when Chrysler was under MB), and also the Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I believe is a variation of an MB ML chassis). Durango was massive but VERY nice, and Jeep Grand Cherokee at the time ’14 intro was having reports of problems with the programming on the new 8 speed transmission they’d introduced. I really liked the Jeep Grand Cherokee though, in top Summit trim. Pretty pricey though, and a little bit smaller than my Explorer. I was very impressed with the V6 and 8 speed combo though. The V8 ‘hemi’ may give bragging rights but it really DRINKS gas.

Then Honda came out with the 2015 CRV – a major refresh not only replacing the old engine and 5 speed auto with the Accord’s ‘earth dreams’ engine and praised CVT, but also making nice visual changes to the front and upgrades to the interior. The Infotainment was upgraded to Honda’s latest, and most important to me, they added a new top Touring trim which includes Honda’s ‘sense’ package – with radar cruise, collision detection and braking, lane warning and lane assist (auto steering). This sounds great, and a ‘bargain’ at around $32k list for a 2WD (don’t need AWD in Florida really). Went for a couple of test drives, REALLY impressed, but couldn’t get a Touring anywhere, until a couple came into the state, but wrong color so I put a deposit on one at a local dealer after working the numbers and waited.

So yesterday I went to the Honda dealer and trade in on a gray 2015 CRV Touring. People asked me if I was excited and I said ‘kinda, but it’s nothing fancy'. Dealer calls early to confirm I was coming up and I said yup.

Drove up there, met the sales guy and he said ‘techs’ were looking at the CRV because he’d noticed it “wasn’t running right” when he took it for a spin. I asked how long it would be and he wasn’t sure but didn’t think long. After waiting about 30 minutes I was informed by another ‘manager’ that an electronic module was bad on the car, and that they were ordering a replacement. Rather than put more miles on my Explorer trade-in they offered me to take another CRV to drive until my new CRV was fixed. I said ok.

I left the dealer rather bummed in an absolutely bottom trim CRV. In the weeks waiting for my CRV I joined crvownersclub forum and hondasuv forum websites to learn what other owners were experiencing. One recurring complaint was a ‘vibration problem’ at idle, or part throttle, or highway speeds, none of which I’d experienced during my 2 test drives. Now having the loaner on roads to home I was very familiar with, I was trying to sense any odd vibrations. One time at a light I did notice the idle speed was very low (maybe 600rpms) and so the 4 banger was exhibiting a little vibration. This was with AC off (stunning 60 degree day) so I put on AC and idle raised a bit and vibration was gone. I certainly didn't think it was a big deal. Then I did notice it once or twice at part throttle as others had complained about. Never noticed it at highway speeds though. Overall I continue to be VERY impressed, and frankly amazed, at how the Honda engine and CVT performs. It’s PERFECTLY adequate for normal driving, surprisingly peppy, not typical CVT 'droning' and very good on gas. I also averaged 32mpg on my ~25mi. drive (prob. 5 mi. city and then 20mi. of pretty empty country roads).

But the road noise on the loaner was AWFUL. Not sure if they put cheaper tires on the ‘stripper’ trim level, or it has less sound proofing, but the car was very loud on decent roads travelling above 40mph. I had certainly not thought the top trim test drive was loud.

So between my new CRV being broken and the loaner test drive being at best a mixed bag, I began to have second thoughts. ...

Part 2 coming later...

Last edited by J.P.; 01-27-15 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spaces
Old 01-27-15, 06:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

hah... cant wait to see the 2nd part...
Old 01-27-15, 06:47 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like an Ipad post I added some spaces for you.
Old 01-27-15, 06:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 793 Likes on 556 Posts

I was tempted to do that too JP

Any car is going to have plusses and minuses. Hopefully part 2 is positive for you!
Old 01-27-15, 06:53 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Have to say CRV sounds boring even in touring trim but its functional.

Waiting for part 2 where you come home with a Ford SVT Raptor.
Old 01-27-15, 07:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

How long until you can pick up the new CR-V? Not good on the buyers remorse front, but hopefully the new one will be an improvement over the loaner.
Old 01-27-15, 09:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

part 2...

Got home yesterday, being down about the car I decided to do a casual quick look online for my short list alternates… ’16 Sorento SX Limited? AWOL. ’15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit in gray? Oh my, the local dealer actually HAS a 2WD V6 gray Summit trim in stock, crazy. But did I want to spend that much? WAY more than the CRV!

Called the dealer, sales guy said he’d call back with their ‘best deal’ which wasn’t bad and I drove over (in my loaner CRV!!!) to see the vehicle. Aaaannnd… long story short, I bought it, without them even seeing my trade-in (they were trusting me, plus it was sadly not worth much either way). BUT, now I had a logistical hurdle because I had the CRV loaner with me and a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. So sales guy took one vehicle and I took the other to my home and I drove him back to the dealer. This morning I (felt somewhat guilty) dropped the CRV loaner back to the Honda dealer (sales guy had to come in his day off because he'd locked my keys in his desk but I gave him $20 for the gas), got my Explorer back, drove it to the Jeep dealer (!), then got a ride home.

So why a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit?

Well if you haven’t been in one and you’re expecting it to not be that fancy, you might be shocked. It has a stellar interior and almost every tech feature you can think of. I didn’t need the 4x4 (with air suspension) or V8 (or uber crazy fast SRT version) or the excellent diesel, but the standard 3.6 V6 is PLENTY powerful (about 295HP I think) and smooth with an 8 speed transmission.

The trim details inside and out are very very nice. My car has illuminated sill plates (say Summit), the main instrument panel is a highly configurable LCD panel (love how the nav direction next turn shows in the middle of it). There’s leather on the instrument panel, real wood, and a suede-like headliner. Rather than go on and on, here’s a link to the brochure: https://www.jeep.com/assets/pdf/grand_cherokee_2015.pdf

The audio system is Harmon Kardon, 19 speakers, 825W. Yeah it sounds good. The UConnect infotainment system is very good (being a techie it could always be better). Tons of features, but I do find it odd that seat heating/cooling is on the touch screen, not buttons. I tried the voice recognition for setting a navigation destination and it didn’t work for me – maybe with a bit of practice it will go better.

There’s many nice touches like auto high beams (drop to low beams when car senses it should). The HID headlights are adaptive (they look around the curve automatically). The radar cruise is full range (to stop). The shifter does NOT have a leather boot around it (yay) because to me all they do is collect dust and look messy. It has paddle shifters, not that I expect I will ever use them except out of curiosity. The main shifter is a bit odd though in that you don’t move the lever to a gear position you just rock it back or forward to select P,R,D,etc.
Mine’s gray with a black interior. Black wasn’t my first choice but I’m ok with it because of the cooled seats, plus the car has remote start built in to cool things down!

We all know of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep’s reliability ratings and challenges, so that’s naturally my only concern, but hopefully the car will be ok. The build quality looks impeccable to me.

Thanks for reading.

Pics soon...

Ok here's one.

Old 01-27-15, 09:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^

Summit?

Nice!

Old 01-27-15, 09:44 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Baller, congrats! Guy in my office has one, best SUV under 50k for sure and the LCD \ Infotainment is amazing!
Old 01-27-15, 09:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sounds like a good ending! congrats!
Old 01-27-15, 09:52 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

SICK!

Love the new Grand Cherokees!!!
Old 01-27-15, 09:53 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 793 Likes on 556 Posts

Congrats! Slightly more exciting than the CRV
Old 01-27-15, 09:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Congrats! Slightly more exciting than the CRV
For sure!

Old 01-27-15, 10:20 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For sure!

Standard bitkahuna driving practices
Old 01-27-15, 10:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

When will we see the miata replacement ?

Quick Reply: crazy car buying story