Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

crazy car buying story

Old 07-17-15, 12:36 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Such a handsome ute

iirc this is V6 and RWD

which leads me to ask, OP any regrets not getting 4WD and/or the V8? What sort of mileage are you getting?
My apologies, on rereading the original post (second one) I realised I've missed that Kahuna chose the RWD.
Old 07-17-15, 02:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Looks great! Do you have a coating or sealant on it? The color/shine really pops.
nope. that pic was after the 1 wash i've given it since i've owned it. that was in may i think. first off, i work in a home office and keep the car in the garage so that keeps it decent for the most part. plus i'm in florida so we don't see any ice/snow/salt which helps too. however, in central FL twice a year we have swarms of these insects called "love bugs" (they fly around in mating pairs!) that definitely make a mess on the car from driving. so that pic was from may when i took off the love bug mess. on a previous car i used to rub baby oil across the front so the bugs don't stick.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks nice. You must take the time to keep it detailed.
thanks and nope, not into detailing.

if I had to, I could do oil changes myself, as I did for decades).
the other day i decided to see where the oil filter is on my car and i was shocked that it's right in the top of the engine easily accessible right under a removable large plastic piece in the engine cover. piece of cake!

What's that big area of concrete, though....is your driveway that large?
that's part of my driveway, yes. it's nice for when guests come, plenty of space to park and turn around although i don't care if they turn on the grass either. the small building in the background is a barn, not my house

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Tell us about the 4X4 system, guess it is from another planet - haven't checked it out on the net, but Jeep usually put some to die for stuff in their systems - the one you have will of course sport everything they have on the stock list and more.
the 4x4 would have been a 'nice to have' but it was of no real value to me and the added cost and complexity and air suspension made me pass on it. no regrets.

Now have 5K on the clock and wonder if I should not change the oil. On the other hand I begin to wonder if I'm not making my life unpleasant what with a crazy obsession to look after cars which seemingly benefit the next owner more than myself. What do you think?
it's true that new cars can go a lot further between oil changes these days, but i also wonder if the car companies don't mind if the car wears out sooner so they can sell another new one! do what works for you. i suspect the old 3k changes are a waste of money, but i personally wouldn't wait 15k.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Such a handsome ute
thanks!

iirc this is V6 and RWD

which leads me to ask, OP any regrets not getting 4WD and/or the V8? What sort of mileage are you getting?
yup, v6/rwd. the 295HP v6 with 8 speed auto is smooth, quiet and easily powerful enough, so again, i didn't feel it was of value to me to get the v8 or 4wd. they would have been fun to have though, although the jeep/chrysler/dodge 'hemi' v8 is very thirsty.

right now i get avg 22mpg. nothing spectacular but better than the 17 i used to get on the explorer v8/rwd!
Old 07-17-15, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

How long do you plan to keep it?..........or haven't you given it much thought? If you hold on to it as long as you did the Explorer, I guess that will be for a while.

I myself am generally in the middle between two extremes. I see the most sense in keeping a vehicle long enough to avoid taking a bath on depreciation and reasonably get your money's worth out of it, but not so long that it becomes a money pit, long past warranty, trying to keep it running, or to make it reach a certain lifetime.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-15 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-19-15, 04:27 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Grand Cherokee is a far superior vehicle to the CR-Vagina. Hands down. Glad OP is still happy with his My wife just got another one, but an Overland.
Old 07-19-15, 05:53 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the small building in the background is a barn, not my house

!
I thought it was the gatehouse - would be interesting what MM thought it was ........

AWD or part time 4X4 only makes sense if you will really need it, otherwise you can pay up to 10USD - K for something that you don't need - granted that AWD can add to safer handling and part time 4X4 can be like a pistol: mostly not needed, but when you need it, you need it very much.

After I bought the Ranger which is part time 4X4, I became fanatically interested in the mechanics behind AWD and part time 4X4. Eventually found out how my Lexus RX350's AWD operates - for some reason a well kept secret by Lexus.
Like your ride a lot - always desired one myself.
Old 07-21-15, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...-jeep-highway/

just read about this, something to watch out for
Old 07-21-15, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nipponbird
I thought it was the gatehouse - would be interesting what MM thought it was ........
Those are now a little out of date.
Old 07-21-15, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...-jeep-highway/

just read about this, something to watch out for
Someone else apparently liked that story enough to start a separate thread on it here in Car Chat.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...e-highway.html
Old 07-21-15, 06:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Glad you're enjoying it! I miss ours...but the space of the van is nice.
Old 07-21-15, 09:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Someone else apparently liked that story enough to start a separate thread on it here in Car Chat.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...e-highway.html
too bad poster in that thread (which i saw before posting here) didn't point it out to paul, the owner of the jeep in this thread.
Old 07-22-15, 03:13 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
too bad poster in that thread (which i saw before posting here) didn't point it out to paul, the owner of the jeep in this thread.
Why did he need to point it out to Paul?

I already did the update for my wife's Jeep GC.
Old 07-22-15, 08:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

we have swarms of these insects called "love bugs" (they fly around in mating pairs!) that definitely make a mess on the car from driving.
the acid in their guts will actually etch the paint if left on the surface long enough.
Old 07-22-15, 12:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
the acid in their guts will actually etch the paint if left on the surface long enough.
i've heard/read that, but never seen it to be true. maybe on older cars which never had or have lost a clear coat.

certainly no worse than stone chips.
Old 07-22-15, 02:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i've heard/read that, but never seen it to be true. maybe on older cars which never had or have lost a clear coat.

certainly no worse than stone chips.
I bought an 85 CRX that some fool didn't wash them off and it happened.

congrats on 47000 posts BTW!
Old 07-22-15, 04:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I bought an 85 CRX that some fool didn't wash them off and it happened.
yeah can imagine that... 30 years ago, honda wasn't known for great paint.

congrats on 47000 posts BTW!
haha, thanks, i hadn't noticed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crazy car buying story