Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

crazy car buying story

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 09:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

sick21, glad it's totalled, but kinda scary to think about a nice jgc totalled when i just got mine.

i was driving in orlando traffic in rain the other day and it was stressful. i hate city traffic and even more so in bad weather. wasn't particularly worried about me, but others cutting off, not paying attention, etc. and people not putting on their lights in the rain... ugh.
Old 02-11-15, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I was driving in orlando traffic in rain the other day and it was stressful. i hate city traffic and even more so in bad weather.
I won't downplay Orlando's traffic by any means, as many cities today are clearly overcrowded. But, in all honesty, if Orlando traffic stresses you, don't go anywhere near the D.C./MD/VA area, SoCal (Los Angeles), or Atlanta. All three have become legendary for gridlock....even more so than New York City, where many people don't have private cars and ride around in cabs, buses, and the huge subway system.

and people not putting on their lights in the rain... ugh.
Must be a lot of older cars in your area. Though it is not yet (to my knowledge) an actual Federal regulation, most new vehicles in the American market come with DRLs (Daytime Running Lights), which automatically come on with the engine running and the emergency brake off. This is probably in reponse to the many state laws that mandate headlights-on in rain, with wiper-use, or when visibility is les than 500 feet.
Old 02-11-15, 03:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

certainly know about traffic as i did live in atlanta for 8 years. as far as "don't go anywhere near a/b/c" we do what we have to do.

my jeep has an option (i leave on) which will automatically put the headlights on when the wipers are on. it of course has awesome led drl's as well.

speaking of headlights, i'm still getting a chuckle out of these adaptive ones the turn left/right to look around the curve. they're awesome.
Old 02-11-15, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

certainly know about traffic as i did live in atlanta for 8 years.
Yeah....I had forgotten that until you reminded me. Atlanta's traffic is almost as bad (not quite) as D.C. or L.A.

as far as "don't go anywhere near a/b/c" we do what we have to do.
In some ways, I wish I myself had the choice myself to stay away....but I just live with gridlock traffic here in the D.C. area. And, even so, except for the traffic, NoVA is a great place to live.....have almost everything you need just a short distance away.

my jeep has an option (i leave on) which will automatically put the headlights on when the wipers are on. it of course has awesome led drl's as well.

speaking of headlights, i'm still getting a chuckle out of these adaptive ones the turn left/right to look around the curve. they're awesome.
My experience has been that DRLs satisfy at least the legal requirement (in Virginia) for headlights-on in bad weather. Since the law was passed years ago, I've never been stopped by a cop with my DRLs on under those circumstances.
Old 02-11-15, 05:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah....I had forgotten that until you reminded me. Atlanta's traffic is almost as bad (not quite) as D.C. or L.A.
DC actually ranks 8th on this time.com analysis. don't know where atlanta is, and don't care.
http://time.com/2849442/worst-traffic/

My experience has been that DRLs satisfy at least the legal requirement (in Virginia) for headlights-on in bad weather. Since the law was passed years ago, I've never been stopped by a cop with my DRLs on under those circumstances.
drl's on are better than nothing for being SEEN but they're worthless for SEEING.
Old 02-11-15, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

DC actually ranks 8th on this time.com analysis. don't know where atlanta is, and don't care.
http://time.com/2849442/worst-traffic/
Depending on who did the report and when, DC ranks anywhere from first to around eighth. Most studies, though, place DC in the top three with L.A. and ether Atlanta or San Francisco in terms of actual lost time and idling in congestion..but it sometimes changes by year.

drl's on are better than nothing for being SEEN but they're worthless for SEEING.
Yes, agreed. But DRLs are usually not used at night, anyway, when you will have your regular headlights. My Verano, for instance, with the headlight switch on "auto", automatically switches from DRLs to the regular headlights at night or when the light-level gets low enough during the day (such as with a very heavy cloud-cover or in a tunnel). Light-symbols on the dash let you know which one is in operation at any time.
Old 03-29-15, 05:47 PM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sick21, glad it's totalled, but kinda scary to think about a nice jgc totalled when i just got mine.

i was driving in orlando traffic in rain the other day and it was stressful. i hate city traffic and even more so in bad weather. wasn't particularly worried about me, but others cutting off, not paying attention, etc. and people not putting on their lights in the rain... ugh.
How is the Jeep treating you, any issues? Might pull the trigger on a 2015 Summit if I don't like the 2016 RX. Very impressed with the Jeep!
Old 03-29-15, 08:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

welcome, tdougherty. looks like you've asked for advice in 3 different threads so i'll let it go here and you can read my thoughts on other threads. cliff notes: i love mine.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-30-15 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-29-15, 08:44 PM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome, tdougherty. looks like you've asked for advice in 3 different threads so i'll let it go hear and you can read my thoughts on other threads. cliff notes: i love mine.

Haha, thanks! Trying to get all the feedback I can to prepare for an outright purchase depending on 4/1/15.
Old 07-17-15, 11:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

quick update for anyone interested:

i've now had my '15 jeep grand cherokee summit almost 6 months and it has about 5100mi. on it.

i just had the first oil change and check up. it was free as dealer included (up to 4) routine stuff for 2 years or 24k. there's no fixed mileage to get oil changes or anything - apparently an indicator will light, based on driving habits. nothing had showed on my dash but i just felt 5k was enough for the first oil change.

car is perfect so far! oh and i love it.

Old 07-17-15, 11:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Looks great! Do you have a coating or sealant on it? The color/shine really pops.
Old 07-17-15, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna;

i've now had my '15 jeep grand cherokee summit almost 6 months and it has about 5100mi. on it.

i just had the first oil change and check up. it was free as dealer included (up to 4) routine stuff for 2 years or 24k. there's no fixed mileage to get oil changes or anything - apparently an indicator will light, based on driving habits. nothing had showed on my dash but i just felt 5k was enough for the first oil change.
Looks nice. You must take the time to keep it detailed. Living in FL helps...no salt or winter abrasives on the roads.

Yes, oil-change packages are becoming a popular item with new cars now...if the factory itself doesn't give free service. I got one with my Verano (though, if I had to, I could do oil changes myself, as I did for decades). They also top the crankcase off for free if it needs any oil between changes.

I can tell, from some of the trees in the background, that you live either in FL or in the Deep South near the Gulf Coast. What's that big area of concrete, though....is your driveway that large?

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-15 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-17-15, 12:14 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just had the first oil change and check up. it was free as dealer included (up to 4) routine stuff for 2 years or 24k. there's no fixed mileage to get oil changes or anything - apparently an indicator will light, based on driving habits. nothing had showed on my dash but i just felt 5k was enough for the ]
Think you'll enjoy every second behind the wheel of that cool ride. Tell us about the 4X4 system, guess it is from another planet - haven't checked it out on the net, but Jeep usually put some to die for stuff in their systems - the one you have will of course sport everything they have on the stock list and more.

The 5K oil change on a new engine can just be a good idea. I bought a new Ford Ranger truck (we get the Ranger T6 developed in Australia by Americans). When I collected it at the Ford dealer, the saleslady said: "See you in 15K's time for the first service." My response was: "15K on a new engine before changing the oil?" She said: "Just drive and forget about anything else".
I'm however, far from convinced. Now have 5K on the clock and wonder if I should not change the oil. On the other hand I begin to wonder if I'm not making my life unpleasant what with a crazy obsession to look after cars which seemingly benefit the next owner more than myself.
What do you think?

Last edited by nipponbird; 07-17-15 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-17-15, 12:17 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good bit! Enjoy it
Old 07-17-15, 12:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Such a handsome ute

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Think you'll enjoy every second behind the wheel of that cool ride. Tell us about the 4X4 system, guess it is from another planet - haven't checked it out on the net, but Jeep usually put some to die for stuff in their systems - the one you have will of course sport everything they have on the stock list and more.
iirc this is V6 and RWD

which leads me to ask, OP any regrets not getting 4WD and/or the V8? What sort of mileage are you getting?

Last edited by Hoovey689; 07-17-15 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: crazy car buying story