Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

crazy car buying story

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 03:30 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My sister has a '14 Summit with 32k miles on it now. She hasn't had one issue, and she's a picky one. My wife just got a '15 Summit. We traded in a '14 4Runner Limited. Everyone that has been in our jeep or my sisters says that it's by far the smoothest (probably thanks to the air suspension) and most quiet riding vehicle they have ever been in. Both of ours are 4x4 hemis btw. We love them!!
Old 01-29-15, 05:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
CX-5 is pretty noisy too.
yeah that's a general comment about mazdas, although i do love the way they drive! but i suspect they're addressing the noise with the refreshes. the newest mazda 3 is apparently improved in that area. subarus used to be major clatterboxes too but they've gotten a LOT quieter.

Originally Posted by sick21
My sister has a '14 Summit with 32k miles on it now. She hasn't had one issue, and she's a picky one. My wife just got a '15 Summit. We traded in a '14 4Runner Limited. Everyone that has been in our jeep or my sisters says that it's by far the smoothest (probably thanks to the air suspension) and most quiet riding vehicle they have ever been in. Both of ours are 4x4 hemis btw. We love them!!
wow, thanks for affirmation and confirmation of my choice! 4x4 hemi is bad-*** config but i just couldn't justify the expense of either the v8 or 4x4 based on my driving. would have loved the air suspension though i'm sure, and auto-adjusting ride height - very cool! about the hemi, have you experienced any feeling/noise with the cylinder deactivation?

enjoyed some more toys today with the auto high beam on/off (wow) and the adaptive headlights (i chuckle watching them look around the corners).

and at first i thought the voice recognition wasn't that good but now i'm impressed. someone mentioned to me it needed to learn.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-29-15 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 05:47 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

^Where I live it's more of a truck town, so everything is 4x4 it wasn't really an option. And the V6 is rare on the upper trims here, they're usually the diesel or hemi. Didn't really like the diesel it had a lot of chatter and vibration. So hemi it was! But I would have preferred the 3.6 V6 really. On ours from time to time I have noticed the cylinder deactivation but I haven't on my sisters that I use to drive frequently. It's not as bothersome as it was on our suburban. This is our second jeep, we had a 2012 Overland 4x4 hemi before the 4Runner. And yeah all of the tech like auto bright lights, way cool huh!? I really like the heated steering wheel.
Old 02-03-15, 04:06 PM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious to know, how are you liking your JGC so far. I am trying to decide between the MDX and the JGC. I want to know in particular how the handling is and the seat comfort. I read somewhere that the seats can be hard. I have a long commute 1 hour, so seat comfort is important to me, in the test drive one does not get to test drive long enough to really get a feel for the seats. Your thoughts and input will be helpful. How fast does the steering wheel and seat warm up.

I am looking at the limited, I see you got the summit, any reason why the summit over the limited or the overland?

Last edited by tin369; 02-03-15 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 04:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
I am curious to know, how are you liking your JGC so far. I am trying to decide between the MDX and the JGC. I want to know in particular how the handling is and the seat comfort. I read somewhere that the seats can be hard. I have a long commute 1 hour, so seat comfort is important to me, in the test drive one does not get to test drive long enough to really get a feel for the seats. Your thoughts and input will be helpful. How fast does the steering wheel and seat warm up. I am looking at the limited, I see you got the summit, any reason why the summit over the limited or the overland?
I have an Overland that we've put 13,000 miles on. It's been great. Seats are firm, but comfortable. Heated seats and wheel heat up very quickly and come on automatically with the heat. Rides great, handling is truckier vs more car like in the MDX. I also seriously considered the MDX. I would only choose the MDX over the GC of i needed a third row.
Old 02-03-15, 04:51 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the looks of that GC you bought! I have owned two grands and one Cherokee. My wife still drives a 2002 GC. Never had a problem with it. The other Jeep models seem to have problems that the grand Cherokees do not. I think you made a good choice.
Old 02-03-15, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LazarusLng
I really like the looks of that GC you bought! I have owned two grands and one Cherokee. My wife still drives a 2002 GC. Never had a problem with it. The other Jeep models seem to have problems that the grand Cherokees do not. I think you made a good choice.
No problem even with the differential/final-drive unit?......those tended to be troublesome on older Jeeps.
Old 02-03-15, 06:33 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No problem even with the differential/final-drive unit?......those tended to be troublesome on older Jeeps.
Not yet. Might be more common if you tow with it?
Old 02-03-15, 06:39 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

We had a 2013 MDX Advance (I know, different than the 2014s) and my biggest difference I've noticed with our Summit is that the steering is absolutely cushy and numb compared to the Acura. Not sure about the 2014, I'm sure the steering is still sportier though regardless with the MDX. The whole experience with the GC is numb. But in a good way. It's super quiet. It's super smooth. And you feel nothing in the steering wheel... The seats are basic but yet nearly perfect. I don't exactly know how to describe it. Just got back from an 800 mile trip and my lower back doesn't have as many issues in the Jeep compared to other vehicles I've had. The MDX is great but if you don't need a third row I have no idea why you'd want one. I guess the MPG estimates are good, they're just so ugly.
Old 02-03-15, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LazarusLng
thanks and thanks so much for sharing your experience! i read a LOT of the good and bad of grand cherokees before buying one. the '14s were widely liked except for some software glitches early on with the new for '14 8 speed auto. seems like that's been worked out now. my '15 jgc transmission is as smooth as glass and i have to really pay attention to know that it's actually shifting! in the zillion customization menus i found an option to display the current gear in the main gauge center information display.

Originally Posted by tin369
I am curious to know, how are you liking your JGC so far.
really liking it! haven't found ANYTHING peculiar or any problems or defects. and really enjoying all the features, luxury, materials, drivetrain, and of course - driving it!

I am trying to decide between the MDX and the JGC. I want to know in particular how the handling is and the seat comfort. I read somewhere that the seats can be hard. I have a long commute 1 hour, so seat comfort is important to me, in the test drive one does not get to test drive long enough to really get a feel for the seats. Your thoughts and input will be helpful.
as SW13GS said, the seat is firm but very comfortable. it's a bit more sculpted than my explorer trade-in, but all good. fwiw, my explorer was by FAR the most comfortable car on long trips i've owned or been in. i NEVER had any aches or pains after hours and hours of driving. i've not been on a very long drive yet with the jgc so SW13GS's input is more relevant, but i'm expecting to be quite comfortable!

How fast does the steering wheel and seat warm up.
being in florida that's not my utmost concern but it seemed quite fast when i played with it. i thought it was a bit odd that there aren't dedicated physical buttons for the heated/ventilated seats or heated steering wheels (you control them through the big touch screen), but i'd say this is more than offset by the fact that they can come on AUTOMATICALLY! from the manual:

Auto Comfort Systems — If Equipped
After pressing the “Auto-On Comfort & Remote Start” button on the touchscreen the following settings will be available:
• Auto-On Driver Heated/Ventilated Seat & Steering
Wheel With Vehicle Start — If Equipped"
When this feature is selected the driver’s heated seat and heated steering wheel will automatically turn ON when temperatures are below 40° F (4.4° C). When tempera- tures are above 80° F (26.7° C) the driver vented seat will turn ON. To make your selection, press the “Auto Heated Seats” button on the touchscreen, then select either “Off,” “Remote Start” or “All Starts.” Press the back arrow button on the touchscreen to return to the previous menu.
the summit has the remote start feature in the key fob which i plan to use in summer so the car can cool itself down as i walk to it or load up. in cold climates, the opposite would be true in winter.

I am looking at the limited, I see you got the summit, any reason why the summit over the limited or the overland?
the limited is the most popular mid-level trim level i believe. i wanted the summit because i liked the many additional features and trim details. other trim levels can get most of these as option package but the summit has things like the harmon kardon audio setup, adaptive headlights (they turn around corners as you drive), body colored trim over the wheels, some additional upscale trim for a pillars, headliner, etc., nice looking 20" rims, active noise cancellation and noise deadening glass, etc.

the overland is more setup for off road and has the front tow hooks, front skid plate. i would expect many overland buyers get 4x4 (i got 4x2) and that 4x4 setup can have an air suspension which is very cool (car automatically lowers itself at highway speeds for example). i would have liked that but couldn't justify the extra cost ($3k?). many who tow get the 5.7 v8 but i passed on that as i found the 3.6 v6 (295HP) to be PLENTY powerful enough.
Old 02-03-15, 07:39 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I read somewhere the the 8 speed gas V6 (2014+) is the same, if not faster than the 6 speed hemi (2011-13). The V6 can move!! Finally lol
Old 02-03-15, 07:48 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the GC, looks great love the looks enjoy it! but, living in NYC with a narrow driveway that cannot fit any thing larger than a compact SUV and no street parking half the time, CR-V was my choice, fortunately I went with a 2014 and have not experienced any vibration issues published about the 2015 models.
Old 02-03-15, 08:37 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For sure!

Lol!!!!! I love a good sense of humor.
Old 02-03-15, 08:43 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the video just as an FYI. Hopefully, ur year was fixed.
Old 02-03-15, 09:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Here is the video just as an FYI. Hopefully, ur year was fixed.
don't have too many moose here in florida.

also looks like the jgc passed the euro handling tests ok

looks to me in the (swedish) moose video that it was designed to make the volvo (and vw) look good even though they're not even remotely similar vehicles.

Quick Reply: crazy car buying story