Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

crazy car buying story

Old 01-27-15, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i did find something today about the jeep you would appreciate. like many cars from a dealer's lot i learned the tire pressures were WAY HIGH. i like that the car has separate tire pressure display that can be brought up on the main gauge. the numbers differed a bit from my cheap rotary gauge but i think that makes sense as it might only recalibrate/measure once the car is driven again. ?
Yes, a lot of new vehicles come off the transporter with jacked-up tire pressures (I've seen it as high as 50 PSI). That is done (supposedly) to keep the alloy wheels from contacting the truck or train-bed on the transporter when it rocks and sways over bumps......especially with today's lower-profile tires that don't give the alloy wheels much cushioning. The dealer PDI (Pre-Delivery-Inspection) crew is supposed to bleed the over-inflated tires down to their factory-recommended settings when the new cars roll off the truck and are first inspected....that's part of their job. Often, though, for whatever reason, they don't. That's why I usually check the PSIs myself before a test-drive (proper figures are usually found either on a drivers' door-jamb label, underhood on a label, or printed in the Owners' Manual').

would you trust the manual gauge or the tpms display more? lots of debate on the internet i learned.
Depends on the type of TPM. Some of them, primarily on cheaper vehicles (like my brother's Kia Soul), operate with less-sophisticated sensors that simply compare the four different wheel-rotation speeds and then light up the warning light when one or more wheels start lagging....as would typically happen when a tire loses air and starts flattening out. That meets the letter of the Federal law that requires these devices....but doesn't tell you which tire is low until you go inspect each tire yourself. Other, more upmarket vehicles (including my Verano) have individual monitors in each tire that displays individual PSIs. That way, you not only know which particular tire has a puncture or leak and don't have to guess or examine each tire, but you simply press a button and get an instant readout any time you want.....and it still flashes a warning, hands-off, any time, for each tire if one gets too low, like that time my own left-rear tire got down to 10 PSI after that major puncture/damage. I typically press the button every time I start out in the morning or after the car has been sitting awhile, especially since that major puncture a couple of months ago.

Among manual gauges, pencil-types are (usually) more accurate than dial-type gauges, because of a simpler design that relies on fewer and less-sensitive moving parts. As far as the comparison between manual gauges and TPMs, I haven't found much difference between a good pencil-type gauge and the TPMs....though a good dial-gauge can also last and be accurate if not banged around or mishandled too much. I had a good dial gauge that lasted some fifteen years before it started misreading.

Also, remember that tire pressures will vary roughly 1 PSI up or down with every 10 degree rise or fall in air temperature. Tires sitting in the sun, on one side of the car, will often have a higher PSI than those on the other side of the car, in the shade. And, of course, they will usually be coldest in the early morning after sitting all night.....that's usually the best time to check them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-27-15 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-27-15, 10:18 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

TPMS display on chrysler products is generally pretty accurate. its the MPG calc thats optimistic LOL.

It is supposed to take a reading once every 60 seconds.
Old 01-28-15, 12:44 AM
ARALAT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. Glad it all worked out. Enjoy the Jeep!
Old 01-28-15, 02:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Fun story to read and congrats on the new JGC! I'd say it's a very fitting replacement to the Explorer.
Really surprising to hear about the CRV whoes. I'd have to estimate that was a very freak thing, as the CRV is high ontop all reliability ratings. The new motor and transmission are really getting a ton of compliments from reviewers. I also saw a top of the line one on the road which had the LED DRL's. It looked like a much more sophisticated and expensive SUV. A very pleasant growth and morphism from what was once a very basic, entry level SUV.
At any rate, great choice and let's hope it serves you well like the Explorer did.
Old 01-28-15, 04:10 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
Sure, it seems everyone walks out the house in the morning to pickup the new car they ordered, trade their car in, the new car is broke so they take a loaner then buy a different car at a different dealer the same day for 40% more while driving the loaner from the first car dealer then drive back to get your old car and trade it in with the other dealer...... sounds pretty common to me, unless you never bought / ordered a new car before and dont know the drill.
Most of my stories are like that. I buy a car return a car, buy another one return another one, typical day for me)
Old 01-28-15, 05:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Fun story to read and congrats on the new JGC! I'd say it's a very fitting replacement to the Explorer.
Really surprising to hear about the CRV whoes. I'd have to estimate that was a very freak thing, as the CRV is high ontop all reliability ratings. The new motor and transmission are really getting a ton of compliments from reviewers. I also saw a top of the line one on the road which had the LED DRL's. It looked like a much more sophisticated and expensive SUV. A very pleasant growth and morphism from what was once a very basic, entry level SUV.
At any rate, great choice and let's hope it serves you well like the Explorer did.
thats why it is the best if you can take car for 2 days to see how it really works and plays in your routes. Something that i tell all of my friends, instead of telling them what to buy... yet most of them dont even test drive the cars, crazy eastern europe!
Old 01-28-15, 09:24 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Good choice. I'm curious to know why you didn't consider a CX-9 or CX-5 at all?

Ed
Old 01-28-15, 10:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
thank you! yes it's a bit smaller, but definitely more luxurious and better looking!

agree 100% with all of that! it's kinda funny to see an '01 crv or something then see a '15 ex-l or touring!! but that's the case with most vehicles that have been out a long time.

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Good choice. I'm curious to know why you didn't consider a CX-9 or CX-5 at all?
thanks. cx-5 is very nice but i don't believe it yet offers the safety and convenience features i wanted like adaptive cruise. i prefer the new crv touring over the cx-5 overall. the cx-9 looks kinda dated to me and also doesn't offer the features i wanted.
Old 01-28-15, 10:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastTags
Most of my stories are like that. I buy a car return a car, buy another one return another one, typical day for me)
how do you do that, maybe rely on a 72hr or similar return law? dealers must love you. i at least hadn't actually taken possession of the crv i was scheduled to get.
Old 01-28-15, 10:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Nice pick up. We looked quite seriously at those while we were shopping for a new family vehicle, but ended up choosing the RX instead.

Still really like the GC, though. Congrats!
Old 01-28-15, 08:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for sharing your story, and I think Karma found you the right vehicle! I've admired the latest Jeep Grand Cherokee since the latest refresh, and if I was in the market for an SUV that would be the one. Beautiful inside and out!

Now, suck it up when you have to make the payments and remember that you got a much better vehicle. Just touch the leather on the dash if you ever get buyer's remorse.
Old 01-28-15, 09:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Congrats! Our 2014 has been great. Huge improvement over our problematic 2011. You'll be very happy with it.
Old 01-29-15, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Congrats! Our 2014 has been great. Huge improvement over our problematic 2011. You'll be very happy with it.

If you get to the D.C. Auto Show this year (still runs four more days, till Feb. 1), check out the Jeep simulated off-road course set-up....it covers a lot of indoor real estate. Downstairs, all the way in the back, behind the GM retro-Futurama display. It's not quite the same as true rock-climbing or creek-fording, of course, but still quite interesting.....one of the better displays at the show. You (probably) don't get many chances, in and around the highly urbanized D.C. area, to do true off-roading with your JGC, and this course (while not truly accurate) at least gives some idea of the experience.

Also, at the Lexus display downstairs (just a short walk across Audi's display from the main lower escalators), another interesting feature is the IS F-Sport mounted up seven feet on big steel poles so you can walk underneath it and check out the underbody F-Sport components.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-15 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-29-15, 12:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Thanks for sharing your story, and I think Karma found you the right vehicle!
you're welcome and i think you're right!

I've admired the latest Jeep Grand Cherokee since the latest refresh, and if I was in the market for an SUV that would be the one. Beautiful inside and out!
definitely. i'm finding small details all over the place that impress. just found out the rear seats are heated, they recline, and the rear vents have a control for upper or lower ventilation/heat. i tried the heated steering wheel, the heated and cooled seats, the zillion way adjustable driver's seat, the adaptive cruise (so glad i got this!), etc. i also just found out the infotainment system can show local movies playing, give weather reports, sports scores, etc., it's crazy... obviously some or all of this has been in lexus vehicles for some time!

Now, suck it up when you have to make the payments and remember that you got a much better vehicle. Just touch the leather on the dash if you ever get buyer's remorse.
haha, ok duly noted. ok, now back to work i go to pay for it.
Old 01-29-15, 02:29 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 563 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks. cx-5 is very nice but i don't believe it yet offers the safety and convenience features i wanted like adaptive cruise. i prefer the new crv touring over the cx-5 overall. the cx-9 looks kinda dated to me and also doesn't offer the features i wanted.
CX-5 is pretty noisy too. My wife likes hers especially since she couldn't get over the looks of the traditional entrants (Rav4, CRV). The CX-9 is just long in the tooth. I wouldn't get that over a Pilot/Highlander/JGC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crazy car buying story