Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Car Advice (Avalon, ES350 or Venza)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 06:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default New Car Advice (Avalon, ES350 or Venza)

Ok folks, this board is great. You guys have helped me out in the past and I am hoping you can all help me out again.

My 75 year old father is shopping a new car. We sat down together and discussed the cars. Mom and dad currently have 2007 Camry.

Option 1. New Toyota Avalon 2014/2015. If they buy a 2014 model they would get a $4000 discount from Toyota Canada. Really likes all the features that are included. Not sure about the touch capacitive buttons.

Option 2. New Toyota Venza 2014 or 2015 model. If they get the Venza they also get the $4000 discount from Toyota Canada. My father really likes the idea of AWD, but does not like that there is no blind spot monitor etc.

Option 3. New Lexus ES350 (package unknown). My father kind of likes the idea but is not warm to the idea of spending much more than the Avalon to get the comparable features. Likes the idea of push buttons for the HVAC and radio. No discount for 2014 models.

All three come with identical V6,engines and transmissions.

My mom really likes the idea of the Avalon while my dad is leaning Venza and I'm telling them to strongly consider the ES350.

Can you all give me your advice and opinions?
Old 01-24-15, 08:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It really depends on what they want. The Avalon is a fine car and should be all that they need. However, if they go with the ES350 they get the outstanding Lexus service that accompanies it. Neither car will have to go in for service very often, but Lexus service is above and beyond.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider the Venza unless they need extra hauling room
Old 01-25-15, 02:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd go with the Avalon myself, the difference between it and the Lexus is minuscule, when you compare the price, the Avalon is hands down a better equipped car gadget wise with equal/if not better interior layout and materials.
Old 01-25-15, 05:03 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

The Venza would be at the bottom of my list since it's so far into its lifecycle. Have you considered any Subarus? The new Outback might work for him
Old 01-25-15, 05:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Have you considered any Subarus? The new Outback might work for him
have a feeling if the brand doesn't begin with T or L it isn't being considered.
Old 01-25-15, 05:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i found the venza to be heavy and not particularly roomy for its bulk. not for me.
the es350 interior is just too cheap/plasticky for what you pay. but it's a nice drive, and obviously going to be super reliable and good resale.
that leaves the avalon, which is a fine vehicle, although if you get the largest rims the ride is kinda stiff. was in a friend's one yesterday actually.

there's plenty of other great options not T or L though.
Old 01-25-15, 06:22 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I owned a Venza V6 FWD (20" wheels) and traded it in after a little over a year because I couldn't tolerate the poor fit and finish of the interior, some rattles including the steering column. On the exterior, the hood's paint had some tiny bumps under the clearcoat and the roof water channel bulged up days after I received the car. Now in all fairness that was back in '09 (first year out) and I've seen some fit improvements in the latest models.

Other negatives:
1. Ride was harsh at times over the larger road imperfections.
2. Poor acceleration traction with the 245/50/20 Michelin Latitudes in rain especially in snow. The AWD should be better.

As far as positives go besides the obvious cargo capacity, roomy sliding back seat, and so on, the Venza has a "perfect" ingress/egress. Taller than a sedan, lower than an SUV, for your parents, this might be a strong selling point. Also, visibility was pretty good especially front outward.

I have some experience with the other two cars but not from an ownership perspective. You buy:

The Avalon for all the tech, interior room, and fairly good overall ride with decent fuel economy.
The Venza for the "easier to live with" daily experience though at the expense of some ride comfort, fit/finish, and it is at the end of its current lifecycle. The 4cyl models come with higher profile 19" and should be a tad better in the ride dept. Fuel economy not as good.
The ES for the "Lexus brand/experience", quietest comfiest ride, and best among the three - build quality. Decent fuel economy like the Avalon. Though weakest in value of course.

If length is a factor, for parking, etc, then consider this too with the Venza being 6 inches shorter than the Avalon:

Avalon: 195"
ES: 193"
Venza: 189"

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-25-15 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-25-15, 08:17 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ok folks, this board is great. You guys have helped me out in the past and I am hoping you can all help me out again.

My 75 year old father is shopping a new car. We sat down together and discussed the cars. Mom and dad currently have 2007 Camry.

Option 1. New Toyota Avalon 2014/2015. If they buy a 2014 model they would get a $4000 discount from Toyota Canada. Really likes all the features that are included. Not sure about the touch capacitive buttons.

Option 2. New Toyota Venza 2014 or 2015 model. If they get the Venza they also get the $4000 discount from Toyota Canada. My father really likes the idea of AWD, but does not like that there is no blind spot monitor etc.

Option 3. New Lexus ES350 (package unknown). My father kind of likes the idea but is not warm to the idea of spending much more than the Avalon to get the comparable features. Likes the idea of push buttons for the HVAC and radio. No discount for 2014 models.

All three come with identical V6,engines and transmissions.

My mom really likes the idea of the Avalon while my dad is leaning Venza and I'm telling them to strongly consider the ES350.

Can you all give me your advice and opinions?
I think it's down to the Avalon or Venza. If your father isn't keen on the ES, then why bother? It sounds like he'd get pretty much everything he's looking for in the Avalon, and he'd get more for his money. As to the Venza--I'd only do that if (1) he wants AWD, or (2) likes the idea of a slightly higher ride height, or (3) needs more cargo room, or (4) doesn't like the slope of the Avalon's rear window (my mother in law complains about this about her Buick--just a generation that was accustomed to the 3-box car design).

If it were me, I'd get the Avalon.

Whatever you do, don't talk them into something they aren't keen on--it will just blow back on you when they find anything they don't like about it. You've made your suggestion, and that's all you can do.
Old 01-25-15, 08:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Avalon seems to be the choice for him.
Why should he get an ES if he really doesn't want it?Also pay more.
Old 01-25-15, 08:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Venza might be the best bet for them since it is awd and is very useful vehicle
Old 01-25-15, 03:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think it's down to the Avalon or Venza. If your father isn't keen on the ES, then why bother? It sounds like he'd get pretty much everything he's looking for in the Avalon, and he'd get more for his money. As to the Venza--I'd only do that if (1) he wants AWD, or (2) likes the idea of a slightly higher ride height, or (3) needs more cargo room, or (4) doesn't like the slope of the Avalon's rear window (my mother in law complains about this about her Buick--just a generation that was accustomed to the 3-box car design).

If it were me, I'd get the Avalon.

Whatever you do, don't talk them into something they aren't keen on--it will just blow back on you when they find anything they don't like about it. You've made your suggestion, and that's all you can do.
Totally agree. We are going tomorrow and we are going to test drive all three back to back to back. I'm just worried that my parents will not like the touch buttons on the Avalon. But I have been reading that they work very well.
Old 01-25-15, 03:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
have a feeling if the brand doesn't begin with T or L it isn't being considered.
My parents have been driving Toyota and Lexus products since 1987, trouble free since then and they have never been let down. The Camry is the V6 model with almost all the bells and whistles I believe. Their other vehicle is a Lexus V8 SUV from 2004. I have a better chance of winning the lottery than convincing them otherwise.
Old 01-25-15, 03:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I owned a Venza V6 FWD (20" wheels) and traded it in after a little over a year because I couldn't tolerate the poor fit and finish of the interior, some rattles including the steering column. On the exterior, the hood's paint had some tiny bumps under the clearcoat and the roof water channel bulged up days after I received the car. Now in all fairness that was back in '09 (first year out) and I've seen some fit improvements in the latest models.

Other negatives:
1. Ride was harsh at times over the larger road imperfections.
2. Poor acceleration traction with the 245/50/20 Michelin Latitudes in rain especially in snow. The AWD should be better.

As far as positives go besides the obvious cargo capacity, roomy sliding back seat, and so on, the Venza has a "perfect" ingress/egress. Taller than a sedan, lower than an SUV, for your parents, this might be a strong selling point. Also, visibility was pretty good especially front outward.

I have some experience with the other two cars but not from an ownership perspective. You buy:

The Avalon for all the tech, interior room, and fairly good overall ride with decent fuel economy.
The Venza for the "easier to live with" daily experience though at the expense of some ride comfort, fit/finish, and it is at the end of its current lifecycle. The 4cyl models come with higher profile 19" and should be a tad better in the ride dept. Fuel economy not as good.
The ES for the "Lexus brand/experience", quietest comfiest ride, and best among the three - build quality. Decent fuel economy like the Avalon. Though weakest in value of course.

If length is a factor, for parking, etc, then consider this too with the Venza being 6 inches shorter than the Avalon:

Avalon: 195"
ES: 193"
Venza: 189"
Thanks for the info.

Any comments on the touch buttons from the Avalon?
Old 01-25-15, 03:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd go with the Avalon myself, the difference between it and the Lexus is minuscule, when you compare the price, the Avalon is hands down a better equipped car gadget wise with equal/if not better interior layout and materials.
I think the Avalon will be the choice. I understand it is quieter than the ES?
Old 01-25-15, 05:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Totally agree. We are going tomorrow and we are going to test drive all three back to back to back. I'm just worried that my parents will not like the touch buttons on the Avalon. But I have been reading that they work very well.
It would be cool to write mini review of choices and let us know what you thought of all three.

Quick Reply: New Car Advice (Avalon, ES350 or Venza)