Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pick-Up Trucks: is it really for work or play?

Old 01-23-15, 06:20 PM
WillK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not here to start a fight but I have to disagree with some comments that a 4-door truck has more second row room than SUV's. I have a 2008 Sequoia and I have yet to ride in a truck that compares to it's second row room, except maybe the Tundra CrewMax. The Sequoia third row has more room than many trucks. Plus, the second row seats in my Seqouia recline. I know the Tundra rear seats do, but they only recline if you slide the seat forward, losing some leg room.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned a few trucks (Titan-Crew Cab, Titan King Cab, Silverado Regular Cab,Sierra Extended Cab) and I've drove//rode in most others in the 1500 and 2500 line-ups and they are roomy but many fall short rear space, passenger and ride comfort. With an Independent rear suspension, and a 6-speed transmission, the Sequoia is turning under 2,300 rpms doing 80 mph down the road. And that still allows me 18+ mpg, fully loaded with family and gear.

I do own a home and at times, miss a truck bed but I can still haul most things in the Sequoia and I can do it regardless of the weather.
I have a standard two car garage and the Sequoia fits with no problem, and the wife could get her 4Runner in there too.
But now that we have three cars, the Sequoia is being parked outside, which sucks...

I'll probably go back to a truck once my sons are older and off doing their own thing but for now, I'll stick with the Sequoia.
Old 01-23-15, 07:05 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Have you been in a Ram or F150? Their back seat is huuuuuge!!!
Old 01-23-15, 07:11 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Recent Ford crews are huge in the back seat and the 2014 gm crew is as well but before 2013 gm was a bit smaller....
Old 01-24-15, 03:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The Big American Three alone sold almost 1.5 million pick-up trucks last year. Of course, most of it being the full-sized models such as the F150, Silverado, and Ram.

Sure, some are work horses, but I've seen most driving around empty as daily commuters, which is quite impractical being large, heavy, gas guzzling, and costly. But I do admit that I am seeing this from an urban environment. But I question the culture of pick-up trucks beyond urban areas.

And what if compare the U.S. to other regions? Surely, you don't see as much pick-up trucks in Europe or Asia, yet we know they have similar needs regarding work-related transportation and duties.

SUVs do well with an enclosed bed area, capable of transporting more people, and still being able to haul/tow, in off-road conditions if necessary. So, why the pick-up truck?

HOW DOES THE PICK UP TRUCK THRIVE SO WELL IN AMERICAN CULTURE?

Coming from urbanized areas, there is a macho hubris stigma for any guy out there that drives a big truck. A quiet disdain almost for taking too much space in a parking lot, wasting fuel, and blocking road visibility. But there is also a desired quality of functionality, off road capacity, and towing capability that, although rarely used, are admirable.

Hey, if you have a pick-up truck, you know you're the first guy called and asked to help with moving, or delivering a bulky package. Rare, but annoying nonetheless.

Maybe I don't get it because I'm a City Boy.

But enlighten me.

WHY DO YOU THINK DOES THE PICK-UP TRUCK SELL SO WELL IN THE U.S.?
Its tough to say why but here are some reason.

1. Get a V8 for relatively cheap, you can drive around with a LX570 engine for pretty much $30-$40k

2. Very difficult to get previous owners out of them and into a smaller car or SUV

3. Some can ride comfortably.

4. Haul anything

5. 4WD vs AWD, you get a real selectable 4WD system which in find appealing.

6. Lots of choice

7. Usually last a long time.

You get a lof of vehicle for the money. Just think about how much you would have to spend to get into a V8 car or SUV from Lexus compared to a V8 from Toy, GM, Ford or Dodge.
Old 01-26-15, 12:48 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

I own a truck but honestly I don't need one. It's one of those things that is nice to have and comes in handy from time to time. I never quite got the concept of why there are so many trucks on the road until I bought my first truck. I'd take it fishing all the time and can tackle some slightly rougher terrain that the typical compact car couldn't all while carrying my gears.

Ever since then I was convinced I'd at least have to have a truck in my stable. It does everything well. The only downfall to me would be poor gas mileage but of course I already knew that before buying my truck. If I was allowed to own just one vehicle it'll be a truck and I'm a sports car guy.
Old 01-26-15, 01:52 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does everything well and modern truck can be optioned to fit every need

I always want to own a truck but never pull the trigger lol.
Old 01-26-15, 09:10 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At this point in my life, after purchasing a house with my wife a few months ago, I totally see the appeal of having a truck. Just this weekend, we had to rent an F-150 truck from Uhaul, to buy a washer and dryer set from our friend, who lives about 50 minutes away from us. That will probably be just the beginning though. Before that, we borrowed my father-in-laws tacoma to buy crown mouldings, and those are long, which is more suitable for a truck to carry. We have so many things we want to do to the house, along with buying furniture and other things, and having a truck would be great for us.
Old 01-26-15, 10:11 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

So basically a truck is good for anyone who does anything? Yes
Old 01-26-15, 10:16 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only thing they are not typically good at is going around corners quickly and passing gas stations.
Old 01-26-15, 11:03 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Only thing they are not typically good at is going around corners quickly and passing gas stations.
Definitely true about the corners but I don't feel any pickup I have ever driven corners any worse than any crossover I have ever driven. The Eco diesel ram gets pretty good mpg and the Silverado gets the same mpg as their crossovers such as the traverse and the Silverado has a way bigger tank. So they don't do too bad I don't think.
Old 01-26-15, 11:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Something tells me to create an expensive HD pickup out of exotic materials with a hybrid diesel powertrain just to **** off the masses