Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pick-Up Trucks: is it really for work or play?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 09:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pick-Up Trucks: is it really for work or play?

The Big American Three alone sold almost 1.5 million pick-up trucks last year. Of course, most of it being the full-sized models such as the F150, Silverado, and Ram.

Sure, some are work horses, but I've seen most driving around empty as daily commuters, which is quite impractical being large, heavy, gas guzzling, and costly. But I do admit that I am seeing this from an urban environment. But I question the culture of pick-up trucks beyond urban areas.

And what if compare the U.S. to other regions? Surely, you don't see as much pick-up trucks in Europe or Asia, yet we know they have similar needs regarding work-related transportation and duties.

SUVs do well with an enclosed bed area, capable of transporting more people, and still being able to haul/tow, in off-road conditions if necessary. So, why the pick-up truck?

HOW DOES THE PICK UP TRUCK THRIVE SO WELL IN AMERICAN CULTURE?

Coming from urbanized areas, there is a macho hubris stigma for any guy out there that drives a big truck. A quiet disdain almost for taking too much space in a parking lot, wasting fuel, and blocking road visibility. But there is also a desired quality of functionality, off road capacity, and towing capability that, although rarely used, are admirable.

Hey, if you have a pick-up truck, you know you're the first guy called and asked to help with moving, or delivering a bulky package. Rare, but annoying nonetheless.

Maybe I don't get it because I'm a City Boy.

But enlighten me.

WHY DO YOU THINK DOES THE PICK-UP TRUCK SELL SO WELL IN THE U.S.?
Old 01-23-15, 09:42 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

It is for all of the above and more. I looked at SUV's to have the space for the family and all our crap for soccer, football etc. In the end I got more power, more versatility, and as much luxury as many of the high end SUV's at a better price. I have had a Merc ML and Infinity FX a few times as rentals for work travel, with the v8 and prefer my truck in every way. Try fitting a family of four with two boys who are growing like weeds, along with a 6'3" 240 dad and all their athletic stuff. I tell you we love our ISF, but it is just about out grown, it take a shoe horn to get the four of us in there and my youngest boy is only two. I have a crew cab short bed Ram 1500 Longhorn with a retractable bed cover.

BTW, I use my truck to haul landscape crap, the boys gear, lawn chairs, rocks, engines, transmissions, hunting equipment, etc. So on any given day is the bed empty, maybe, but it still is used frequently. I consider a truck the Swiss Army Knife of automobiles.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't choose to ride a motorcycle, does not mean I have a problem with them. Although around here 90% of riders are idiots just asking to end up dead.
Old 01-23-15, 10:11 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I recall you are on the smaller side, in the city and live in Cali.

Big people like room, so big trucks work.

Our land is vast in this country, once outside the bubble of the city, if you own a home or land, trucks are handy.

And for those not in Cali, we have snow, rough roads, dirt roads that don't get graded plus seasonal roads that eat small cars.

On certain days you will see me in my pickup truck and suit

Have toys? I tow ATV's, boats, trailers for firewood and many other things.

I have a home, land, toys, snow, rough roads and a am tall, why not a truck?

And as far as eating fuel, my truck doesn't eat any more fuel than your SC 430 did
Old 01-23-15, 10:19 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You would have to own a truck or know someone that does to understand it. And most 4 door trucks have larger back seats than any suv, by far. And trucks are hella cheaper than SUVs. They aren't really gas guzzling when compared to most full size crossovers. So that's a stigma that just isn't true.
Old 01-23-15, 10:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Pick-up truck - america - manifest destiny - freedom - haul your **** everywhere - coast to coast
Old 01-23-15, 10:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

This ain't about me, my motorcycles, or my SC430.

Please keep the discussion general.

This ain't about me.

Thank you.
Old 01-23-15, 10:48 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
..... I consider a truck the Swiss Army Knife of automobiles....
This. I think in life in general it's better to have something and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I've had everything from miatas to F150's. Each have their advantages and disadvantages.
Old 01-23-15, 10:56 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I agree with JP, trucks are a must for homeowners and are more fuel efficient nowadays.

I live in socal and to me, the reason why "urban trucks" sell so well is because it really appeals to both men and women. The cabs have gotten bigger over the years that it seats 5 comfortably. At least for my girlfriend, she likes it because she's always wanted one. She's 5'2 and likes being higher when she's on road (traffic), and able to plow through the worst roads and flash floods around here and appealed more than SUV/CUV's.
Old 01-23-15, 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

They don't appeal to me personally, but I certainly can understand the appeal. A lot of these modern trucks are very nicely appointed, and they have a lot more versatility than an SUV when it comes to hauling. If you carry stuff routinely, its nice to not have to put it inside your $50,000+ SUV. Plus, they are very American.

As for why they are such huge sellers, the reason for the enormity of their sales success is work use. All those fleet sales, farm sales, contractor sales, etc go into those sales figures. if you look at the number that are sold to private users I would bet the figure would be much more similar to SUV sales.
Old 01-23-15, 11:24 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
This ain't about me, my motorcycles, or my SC430.

Please keep the discussion general.

This ain't about me.

Thank you.
But it is. You are critical of trucks based on "your needs" and thus others should not own them. As we can be critical of your needs/perspective if it does not align with ours. Goes both ways.
Old 01-23-15, 11:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

SUVs are generally less flexible with cargo than pickups. I can throw a bulk of mulch in the back of my truck without having to buy the bagged kind or lay down plastic. Don't have to tie the Christmas tree to the top. Can move a mattress or tall piece of furniture or large sheets of plywood. Could take trash to the dump (if I needed to ) without it stinking up my ride.

If we didn't have to haul my wife's track car around in an enclosed trailer, I probably wouldn't own one... but it sure comes in handy now that I have it.
Old 01-23-15, 12:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
But it is. You are critical of trucks based on "your needs" and thus others should not own them. As we can be critical of your needs/perspective if it does not align with ours. Goes both ways.
Although I may have my other interests, I created this thread as a social discussion on the culture of pick up trucks.

Ergo, my own interests are irrelevant to this discussion.

I had observations regarding pick up trucks. That was my own. I am asking other's opinions about trucks; not motorcycles, convertibles, boats, lawn mowers, or such...
Old 01-23-15, 01:22 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

One thing a couple euro friends noticed here was all the trucks and landscape trailers. The comment of "you hire people to cut your grass" came up... I am sure other parts of the world hire landscapers too, but it was shocking to them how many we have.

Snow plow? Throw it on a pickup truck and you have a side business.

Lawn mower? now a kid has his own landscape business with a truck

As Dave said, mulch? pickup bed, it can't go in an SUV. Need 22aa stone? pickup bed. Its endless, its useful if you have a home and or land........

Its not that shocking with the how big our country is, how much land we have along with the weather that trucks are as big as they are here. Its not about being macho or wasteful they are useful unless you live in a bubble. I likely won't not need a pickup truck in NYC

Last edited by J.P.; 01-23-15 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 03:05 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My partner and I share a Tundra pickup for work duty and it's BY FAR the most used vehicle given any day of the week. It hauls everything, drives like a tank and don't have to worry about scraping anywhere.

If slow traffic is up ahead, who needs to slow down just jump the curb and make that left turn ahead of everyone else! j/k

There is a motto about pickup trucks. If you feel lonely and need friends just buy a pickup and suddenly EVERYONE will be calling you to borrow your latest ride for an IKEA or Home Depot run.

The problem with these large crew cab trucks is they don't fit into urban home garages so that is one thing to keep in mind but if you live out in open rural areas nothing beats a pickup truck. SUV ranks a far second in terms of usefulness and sports cars are dead last. Least driven, most problems, most cost to maintain.
Old 01-23-15, 04:20 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

I had the architect drag the garage side blue print several feet out so I could house a crew cab, other wise the standard depth on houses is something like 20.5ft, I don't recall exactly but if you are in a mass built sub like pulte or toll brothers, they won't fit, its tough to even get a full size SUV into those type of homes

Quick Reply: Pick-Up Trucks: is it really for work or play?