Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Facelifted 2016 Acura RDX Heads to Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 09:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interior is still no better/nicer than a top spec CR-V, Rav4, Escape, etc., but the exterior is definitely better looking!
Old 02-12-15, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

no adaptive cruise or lane keep assist (as avail on crv)?

not real jazzed about the new front end.
Old 02-12-15, 03:55 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Improvements only made it better. Have no idea how anyone can this compares to top spec RAV4 and the like...
Old 02-12-15, 09:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The jeweled headlights are nice. Very minimalist interior
Old 02-13-15, 02:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't see it as much better-looking than the current model. In fact, those fragile and flowery-looking rims are a downgrade from what we are offered now. The filled-in grille still ruins the entire front end. That should be the #1 complaint by all, but Acura has forced this feature down our throats for so many years now, we've learned to look beyond it and focus on other things. We cannot forget the filled in grille is still one of the most unattractive design features to mare any vehicle line-up. (Make noise!)
Old 02-13-15, 04:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 566 Likes on 388 Posts

Really like the Acura headlights. I wish they'd at least try to get some actual metal or wood in that interior to break up the plastic monotony.

Last edited by Allen K; 02-13-15 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 05:21 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

I like Acura's look of "understated luxury". The amount of tech features packed in their cars also offer tremendous value. The refreshed ILX has been getting positive reviews, and I suspect this RDX will too.
Old 02-13-15, 08:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no adaptive cruise or lane keep assist (as avail on crv)?

not real jazzed about the new front end.
From Car and Driver:

A batch of new collision-avoidance technologies is grouped into a package called AcuraWatch. That includes adaptive cruise control, forward-collision warning with automatic braking, lane-departure warning, and lane-keeping assist. Commendably, the AcuraWatch features can be had on any trim level, although they’re standard with the new, top-spec Advance package. Should all the electronic nannies somehow fail to keep you out of trouble, Acura claims that the 2016 RDX also has improved crash-test performance.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...ore-power-news
Old 02-13-15, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
From Car and Driver:
thanks! figured it would have those things, but just wasn't mentioned in earlier posts. i think this improved rdx with advance package would have been something strongly considered in my recent search had it been available.
Old 02-13-15, 10:01 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

if they keep the prices the same, this would put up a good fight with NX or even the new RX. i like the subtle exterior changes, love the powertrain upgrades.
Old 02-13-15, 10:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks! figured it would have those things, but just wasn't mentioned in earlier posts. i think this improved rdx with advance package would have been something strongly considered in my recent search had it been available.
No problem. We looked at the RDX previously and really liked it, but definitely noticed that it was missing a lot of tech. I'm glad to see that's been remedied.
Old 02-13-15, 10:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Don't see it as much better-looking than the current model. In fact, those fragile and flowery-looking rims are a downgrade from what we are offered now. The filled-in grille still ruins the entire front end. That should be the #1 complaint by all, but Acura has forced this feature down our throats for so many years now, we've learned to look beyond it and focus on other things. We cannot forget the filled in grille is still one of the most unattractive design features to mare any vehicle line-up. (Make noise!)
They did try to chisel it out a bit, more like NX.. but interior is so low key... It doesnt look luxury to me.

Both Pilot and this seems so mediocre design wise.
Old 02-13-15, 12:37 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cino
I'm talking about Turbo 4 Vtec from Civic Type R.
+1

Originally Posted by UDel
The V6 in the RDX already does that. The current V6 version also makes more power and is quicker then the original RDX with the turbo. I think a 4 cylinder turbo would be a step down. I would rather see SHawd as a option for the RDX and a Earth Dreams DI version of the V6 engine it has with more power.
The future is small displacement turbo applications.. Naturally aspirated engines are yesterdays tech.
Base HP is 240. With an intake, larger inter cooler, exhaust and a good tune you are looking at 300+. Add the SH-AWD and that = one fun lil CUV!

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
lol did we forget the 4 cylinder turbo that was pretty rubbish in the pre v6 RDX?
Really? I guess you never drove one.

I do LOVE the new look with the jewel headlights though!

Last edited by GSJake; 02-13-15 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-15-15, 11:23 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
+1

The future is small displacement turbo applications.. Naturally aspirated engines are yesterdays tech.
Base HP is 240. With an intake, larger inter cooler, exhaust and a good tune you are looking at 300+. Add the SH-AWD and that = one fun lil CUV!

Turbo engines are not a new invention or the new thing. Give me a smooth powerful 6 cylinder in a bigger vehicle any day over a turbo charged 4 cylinder, there is no real advantage of a turbo 4 cylinder in bigger vehicles. The 6 cylinder in the newer RDX is better in pretty much every way over the old turbo 4. Turbo 4 cylinders are offered more now because automakers have been forced to put them in lineups to deal with CAFE, not because they are the best engine and that buyers really demand them in the US. The current crop of mainstream turbo 4 cylinders are designed for fuel economy and emissions, not performance. It is not as easy to tune them for more power these days and in many cases very difficult compared to the past when they were mostly designed for power and performance and pretty easy to tune and get more power from.
Old 02-15-15, 10:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Turbo engines are not a new invention or the new thing. Give me a smooth powerful 6 cylinder in a bigger vehicle any day over a turbo charged 4 cylinder, there is no real advantage of a turbo 4 cylinder in bigger vehicles. The 6 cylinder in the newer RDX is better in pretty much every way over the old turbo 4. Turbo 4 cylinders are offered more now because automakers have been forced to put them in lineups to deal with CAFE, not because they are the best engine and that buyers really demand them in the US. The current crop of mainstream turbo 4 cylinders are designed for fuel economy and emissions, not performance. It is not as easy to tune them for more power these days and in many cases very difficult compared to the past when they were mostly designed for power and performance and pretty easy to tune and get more power from.
I used to think the same about turbo fours when they first started surfacing. However, I've driven too many new ones that counter the old negatives. Audi/VW, Mercedes, BMW, and others all have very solid 2.0T's that produce high mpg's, strong power, and smooth operations. I agree, this was all forced on manufacturers, but I think the customer is reaping some benefits from it.

Quick Reply: Facelifted 2016 Acura RDX Heads to Chicago Auto Show