Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Facelifted 2016 Acura RDX Heads to Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-15, 10:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I used to think the same about turbo fours when they first started surfacing. However, I've driven too many new ones that counter the old negatives. Audi/VW, Mercedes, BMW, and others all have very solid 2.0T's that produce high mpg's, strong power, and smooth operations. I agree, this was all forced on manufacturers, but I think the customer is reaping some benefits from it.
This is true, but, still, all else equal, a N/A V6 will not be as highly stressed as a turbo four....nor produce as much heat. And (probably) not have to use the more expensive synthetic or turbo-approved oil. Give me the choice, I'd take the N/A V6 anytime, though I agree that, having sampled a number of them, VW/Audi does indeed do an excellent 2.0L turbo 4....arguably the best one in the American market.
Old 02-15-15, 11:03 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is true, but, still, all else equal, a N/A V6 will not be as highly stressed as a turbo four....nor produce as much heat. And (probably) not have to use the more expensive synthetic or turbo-approved oil. Give me the choice, I'd take the N/A V6 anytime, though I agree that, having sampled a number of them, VW/Audi does indeed do an excellent 2.0L turbo 4....arguably the best one in the American market.
Exactly, I own a turbo car myself "15 wrx" it's not quite like a V6. No matter how much effort they put in a turbo 4, it doesn't feel refined as V6. Well, maybe they will figure out.
Old 02-17-15, 04:47 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Acura RDX Video

The RDX is Acura's compact crossover vehicle, and until a few years ago, it had a lot less competition. But with the arrival of vehicles like the Lincoln MKC and Lexus NX, it's time to step up its game--and that's just what Acura is doing for the 2016 model year.

The most noticeable change with the RDX this year is a new grille, one that's in line with Acura's other updated vehicles for 2016--the MDX crossover and ILX sedan. LED headlights and taillights have been applied to the front and rear ends, too.

The RDX's interior has been spruced up a bit with revised trim and materials. A new dual-screen infotainment system like the one in the Honda Accord is now available, as are remote start, heated and ventilated seats, and HD radio.

Acura’s also upped the safety quotient with an available lane-departure warning system, adaptive cruise control, forward-collision warning system with automatic braking, and lane-keeping assistance.

Powering the 2016 RDX is a 3.5-liter V-6 engine with 279 horsepower. Power is sent to the front wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel drive is on the options list. EPA fuel economy ratings increase by 1 mpg on the highway across the board this year, now at 19/28 mpg for all-wheel-drive models and 20/29 mpg for front-wheel-drive models.

Pricing should be announced soon, just before the updated 2016 Acura RDX goes on sale this spring.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...cura-rdx-video
Old 02-17-15, 05:54 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I saw the revised RDX at the auto show today and it looked pretty good. Subtle changes, but the addition of the missing safety features will help to assure its continued sales success.
Old 02-17-15, 06:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Give me the choice, I'd take the N/A V6 anytime
agree. i almost bought the honda crv touring with 2.4L "earth dreams" 4 cylinder, an impressive engine to be sure, combined with the best cvt i've experienced. at idle, the car keeps a very low rpm (even lower if A/C is off) and some have complained of noticeable vibrations. i did experience it slightly, but didn't think it was unreasonable for a 4 cylinder.

but when i eventually decided to buy my 3.6L V6 jeep grand cherokee instead, the difference in smoothness was large and obvious.
Old 02-18-15, 07:16 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw the revised RDX at the auto show today and it looked pretty good. Subtle changes, but the addition of the missing safety features will help to assure its continued sales success.
I saw it Monday. I just wish it wasn't locked. This is definitely on the short list when my wife is ready to replace her 2010 CR-V.
Old 02-20-15, 12:47 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Turbo engines are not a new invention or the new thing. The current crop of mainstream turbo 4 cylinders are designed for fuel economy and emissions, not performance. It is not as easy to tune them for more power these days and in many cases very difficult compared to the past when they were mostly designed for power and performance and pretty easy to tune and get more power from.
I did not say turbo engines were new?

Really how about this one...?

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/engineer...?section=20l4c

Have you even OWNED a turbo engine.. or?

Back on track.. I really like the looks of it.. just hope\wish they offer the "new" turbo 4 set for the Civic R..
Maybe an RDX Type S?
Old 02-20-15, 06:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Almost two months of ownership of the NX 200t, I can say without a doubt this new 2L 4 Turbo engine is powerful, incredibly smooth and quiet very much like an ES 350 and a tad better than my previous RX (yep, no kidding).

However, I'd still take the current "old" 3.5L V6 over the new Lexus Turbo 4 for the more engaging engine note and more responsive/accessible power. With the heavier and slower 0 to 60 V6 RX, the RX was still easier to maintain a certain speed with very little power input. With the NX, you're correcting more due to less available power (pre-turbo boost) and therefore lower responsiveness. The NX is faster in a drag race and pulls incredibly well but you have to depress the pedal a lot further while anticipating that half second lag at any speed (in addition to any tranny downshifts)

In short, the RDX will continue to have the upperhand in the powertrain department over the NX even with a lower 1-2 MPG rating IMO, but styling although improved, is still somewhat forgettable.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-20-15 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-21-15, 12:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

^^^ very honest assessment.
Old 05-20-15, 04:35 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got an email from the dealer letting me know the first ones have hit the lot.

I got an NX a few weeks ago.

MSRP $39k w/tech package
Old 05-20-15, 04:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I like the new touches . I still think that the RDX is competitive although I like the NX styling more. Happy they went with a V6
Old 05-20-15, 05:03 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I like the new touches . I still think that the RDX is competitive although I like the NX styling more. Happy they went with a V6
I was close between the two, but the NX was just a bit more modern and unique to me (for now, at least). The 2015 RDX I drove was very nice, it was just amazing how similar it felt to my 2001 Acura CL. The interior has barely changed (exaggerating but not really). It drove very nice and the V6 was a smooth ride.
Old 05-20-15, 05:56 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

too bad they didn't drop the 8 or 9 speed tranny into this thing to up the MPG above 30.
Old 05-20-15, 07:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
I was close between the two, but the NX was just a bit more modern and unique to me (for now, at least). The 2015 RDX I drove was very nice, it was just amazing how similar it felt to my 2001 Acura CL. The interior has barely changed (exaggerating but not really). It drove very nice and the V6 was a smooth ride.
The first generation was a hoot with SH-AWD and a turbo 2.3, but it never really caught on (sort of ahead of the times). They went a little more mainstream with this second generation, and the RDX has evolved quite nicely. With the MY16 additions no one would blame you. The RDX is a tidy premium choice for the price. Smooth six. Reliable. Comfortable. A good value perhaps.

Originally Posted by bagwell
too bad they didn't drop the 8 or 9 speed tranny into this thing to up the MPG above 30.
Here Here
Old 05-21-15, 03:45 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That RDX cabin looks decent but I don't think it can match the NX for ambience and quality. I sat in a base model NX200 (no T, just a weedy 150 hp DI four) at the showroom while my ES was in for a service and I found it to be a gorgeous little car, even if it had only cloth seats. The dash and controls felt a lot more luxurious than those on the ES or even the RX.