Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW N63 "Customer Care Package": A Recall That BMW Refuses To Call A Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-15, 05:13 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I would think a engine that fails on you when you are half way through a railroad track while a train is barrelling towards you a "SAFETY" issue.
Please elaborate as to how the low oil light coming on causes the engine to fail.
Old 05-13-15, 06:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Problem was poor engineering not customer not flogging their engines, what a silly excuse.
agreed, BS excuse.
Old 05-13-15, 10:25 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
agreed, BS excuse.
Not quite.

If they designed their car with negative camber targeting "furious" drivers, and the buyers are only driving it to work, they will complain about excessive inner wear of tires.
Old 05-13-15, 08:07 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Please elaborate as to how the low oil light coming on causes the engine to fail.
In my entire post...... ive never mention the words "low oil light" You sir need to reread my post.

I have known many people who owns BMWs and it always break down when you need it the most.

My post was in response to people and car manufactuers labeling engine recalls as something else. Low engine light will not cause engine to brake down its the recromend oil change interval setforth by BMW that will eventually cause engine failure
Old 05-14-15, 03:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
In my entire post...... ive never mention the words "low oil light" You sir need to reread my post.

I have known many people who owns BMWs and it always break down when you need it the most.

My post was in response to people and car manufactuers labeling engine recalls as something else. Low engine light will not cause engine to brake down its the recromend oil change interval setforth by BMW that will eventually cause engine failure
And you need to read the article...you didn't have to use the words "low oil light" because that's the context of the discussion. The purpose for the reduction in the oil change interval is to ensure that the engine does not burn enough oil between changes to cause the low oil light to come on. Your post equated this with engine failure, and then stretched it even further to claim it as a safety issue, and therefore require it be labelled as a recall. This is intellectually dishonest.
Old 05-14-15, 04:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if it was just an avoid the oil light issue then why are they changing out the injectors and crankcase vent system. Its the oil problems that are killing the injectors in the first place
Old 05-15-15, 09:26 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This just in.....the chief engineer who came up with the 15k oil interval change was promoted as CEO within the country of San Marino Italy BMW division.
Meanwhile his assistant was promoted to Chief engineer of the repair dept on the smal country of Nauru. Emolyee of one. His job will be to repair the turbos. First shipment on it's way.
Attached Thumbnails BMW N63 "Customer Care Package": A Recall That BMW Refuses To Call A Recall-images.jpg  

Last edited by rxonmymind; 05-15-15 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-15-15, 11:18 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny. But I highly doubt it was the chief engineer who would come up with such ideas. Even the enthusiast knows better.
My money is on the mr Program Manager(MBA) who had to come up with some awesome ROI numbers in offering the BMW paid maintenance offering.