Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW N63 "Customer Care Package": A Recall That BMW Refuses To Call A Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 09:18 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
It just boggles me to see how anyone thought 15k mile for a turbo engine oil change was a good idea, synthetic doesnt matter. Simple $30 test at blackstone would tell you that it was a really bad idea, and BMW is paying for it. To make matters worse these cars dont have a dipstick right?
yep there was another thread about OCI...

here we go...within the Subie thread....couple of members were all for those 18K oil chngs... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...odel-year.html
Old 05-11-15, 09:33 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Proves that cutting corners will only come back to bite you.
Old 05-12-15, 04:20 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep there was another thread about OCI...

here we go...within the Subie thread....couple of members were all for those 18K oil chngs... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...odel-year.html
Yep, that was me. But hey, I guess I should ignore the professional oil analysis I've had done and my personal eyes-on inspection of the engine internals, and instead base my OCI on forum sentiment.

Also, if you read the article, the reduced OCI for the N63 has nothing to do with wear:

BMW is also quietly dropping the V8's oil-service interval from 15,000 to 10,000 miles*. Not because of oil-life concerns, but to smokescreen the N63's appetite for motor oil. By shortening the time between oil changes (and sneaking an additional quart into the sump), there's less chance customers will get a low-oil-level warning. Insiders at BMW in Germany say the oil consumption happens to customers who don't ever flog their powerful, turbocharged V8s hard enough to fully break them in. Ironic.
I got 12 years of flawless performance out of my E46 by following the recommended maintenance intervals (plus one change of the "lifetime" fluids), and expect the same from my E90. I'll do a UOA at my next oil change to validate this, but don't expect to find anything alarming.
Old 05-12-15, 06:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Also, if you read the article, the reduced OCI for the N63 has nothing to do with wear
ahhh good catch.
Old 05-12-15, 06:23 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Insiders at BMW in Germany say the oil consumption happens to customers who don't ever flog their powerful, turbocharged V8s hard enough to fully break them in.
Breaking-in the engine in 2015 much like you did in 1950. If you can look at the ICE concept with straight mindset you can see how outdated that principle really is and has no place in 21st century.
Old 05-12-15, 09:08 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe this recall is why Toyota and Honda are taking their own sweet time introducing turbos into their lineup. A recall involving X5's and 550i's is one thing, a problem with all Civics and Corollas would be a major nightmare.

I'm surprised about the break-in requirements though. Why can't BMW do this at the factory? Makes me wonder about Toyota hybrid engines that never see much stress and are constantly being turned on and off, yet don't have oil consumption issues.
Old 05-12-15, 11:40 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Proves that cutting corners will only come back to bite you.
Not really a fair comment. Engineers test the breaking limits of things to create more robust designs. In this case, it's a lack of stress that's leading to the problems. We could track the problem to consumers who buy big engines and never use them, but of course BMW can't blame the customer. It's one of those things that slips by because, who would ever think to test what happens to an engine in extremely mild use, when it has already been tested under extremely hard use?
Old 05-12-15, 03:07 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome

I'm surprised about the break-in requirements though. Why can't BMW do this at the factory? Makes me wonder about Toyota hybrid engines that never see much stress and are constantly being turned on and off, yet don't have oil consumption issues.
This oil consumption problem @ german carmakers has been going on since the 90 ties, turbo or not, fast or not. Audi had huge issues with oil consumption on their NA 2.4-3,2 V6 engines and the 1.8 and 1.8T . My friend had 2 BMW 530i and he was always carrying a bottle of engine oil with him on longer trips. But there are people who never had this issue on their Audi or BMW.

As for the hybrids, I have the CT and IS 300 hybrid and I floor them more often than any car I had before. They are simply so slow that you need at least 80 % of its power in many situations. Prius is likely not much better.
Old 05-12-15, 04:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Theres a reason why BMW and Mini started shortening oil change intervals on 2014+ to 10k when they used to be 15k. They started seeing the long term damage it was doing to the engine. E46 was 5k oil change interval. This was before BMWs paid for your oil changes under the "free" maintenance program. Funny how once BMW started paying for it, the oil change intervals tripled to 15k

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=486746

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...-too-long.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...e-our-m5s.html
Old 05-12-15, 04:50 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

What brand of oil does BMW use at their shops? Mobile 1 European formula or something higher end oil, I think I read they used German Castrol full synthetic which is a group 4 or 5. That could make some difference but trying to stretch out oil changes to 15K is pushing it and reeks of irresponsible cost cutting. Even if the oil change are supposed to be covered I would have done one myself at 7.5K especially on a car I might decide to own.
Old 05-12-15, 06:41 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

E46 was 5k oil change interval.
Nope. My 2000 323i had a 15k OCI (more like 17-18k in my case since I wasn't terribly hard on the engine most of the time). First MY for the E46 was 1998, LCI was 2001, and last MY was 2005, so I had one of the early ones.

Originally Posted by UDel
What brand of oil does BMW use at their shops? Mobile 1 European formula or something higher end oil, I think I read they used German Castrol full synthetic which is a group 4 or 5. That could make some difference but trying to stretch out oil changes to 15K is pushing it and reeks of irresponsible cost cutting. Even if the oil change are supposed to be covered I would have done one myself at 7.5K especially on a car I might decide to own.
The BMW-branded oil is indeed German Castrol full synthetic, which is an excellent oil--I switched to Amsoil European Formula 5W40 due to personal preference and cost, but would have had no concerns about sticking with the factory fill. They also use a very large sump so the oil doesn't get "used" as much--my M52TU 2.5L I6 took 7 quarts, and the current M57 3.0L diesel takes 7.5. The N63 4.4L V8 referenced in the article takes 9-10 quarts. To put that in perspective, my old Dodge 5.2L V8 took just 5 quarts.

Last edited by geko29; 05-12-15 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-12-15, 11:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I was curious why batteries were being replaced in this fix when it has nothing to do with an oil change interval.

Enginerdy: Why BMW's N63 twin-turbo V8 eats batteries
Yeah saw this on Facebook. I am dont think I will ever buy a BMW. Just dont need the headaches. Who has time for all that BS?LOL
Old 05-13-15, 02:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Not really a fair comment. Engineers test the breaking limits of things to create more robust designs. In this case, it's a lack of stress that's leading to the problems. We could track the problem to consumers who buy big engines and never use them, but of course BMW can't blame the customer. It's one of those things that slips by because, who would ever think to test what happens to an engine in extremely mild use, when it has already been tested under extremely hard use?
Problem was poor engineering not customer not flogging their engines, what a silly excuse.

As to who would test engines at lower speeds, proper engineers?
Old 05-13-15, 02:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Theres a reason why BMW and Mini started shortening oil change intervals on 2014+ to 10k when they used to be 15k. They started seeing the long term damage it was doing to the engine. E46 was 5k oil change interval. This was before BMWs paid for your oil changes under the "free" maintenance program. Funny how once BMW started paying for it, the oil change intervals tripled to 15k

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=486746

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...-too-long.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...e-our-m5s.html
Here in Europe, they recommend 18k services and every owner I ever talked to thinks thats a greatest thing ever. I try to patiently explain that you should not save $200 every two years on $70k vehicle, but nobody believes it to be a problem until they actually have a problem.

Oh well. Live and learn.
Old 05-13-15, 04:38 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well recall is for safety issues... so it is basically a mandatory TSB for us in Toyota world.

Two things to note - it seems that they are not going to address oil consumption issue but rather make sure oil light does not turn on during new shorter oil change interval.

Another thing is - didnt they do huge i6 recall recently as well? No engine is safe? Found it:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/11/b...ars-worldwide/
I would think a engine that fails on you when you are half way through a railroad track while a train is barrelling towards you a "SAFETY" issue.

Or when your child has a fever of 106F and the only car you have is a BMW 550i and you push the engine start button and it fails to start.

I could go on and on all day.....but to me a reliable engine is very important and should be labeled a recall.

Quick Reply: BMW N63 "Customer Care Package": A Recall That BMW Refuses To Call A Recall