Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW i8 thread

Old 01-19-15, 11:55 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you can slice it however you want, but designing a emergency release latch that breaks easily and a hood that can scratch bumper easily and requires 2 technicians to open together can only be results of bad engineering, period.
THIS!
Old 01-20-15, 01:29 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
" more head turning than aventador"

i don't think so...
Old 01-20-15, 03:59 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
" more head turning than aventador"

i don't think so...
It does turn heads believe me. Concept looks is one of the two things this cars has going on, the other thing is the badge. And that's about it.

Someone was wondering how come this thing is selling so good, well its the first flagship "sports car" with BMW badge for over how many decades? Its something loyal BMW owners have been waiting for since the 8 series or even M1.

But other than that this car is a sham. I said it so many times and I will say it again, drivetrain in this thing is nothing spectacular by any means, there is more advanced technology in that three cylinder petrol engine than in the electric setup or components. Since the PHEV setup is very basic they reverted to extreme and expensive light saving hence the big price tag and faux sports-car tag. Sports car on tires for snow rally, right. What surprises me the most is the media praise this car gets. If this car carried any other badge other than BMW it would not be even acknowledged that it exists, maybe for mocking reasons only or how we are still far away from the affordable EV vehicles.
Old 01-20-15, 04:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
It does turn heads believe me. Concept looks is one of the two things this cars has going on, the other thing is the badge. And that's about it.

Someone was wondering how come this thing is selling so good, well its the first flagship "sports car" with BMW badge for over how many decades? Its something loyal BMW owners have been waiting for since the 8 series or even M1.

But other than that this car is a sham. I said it so many times and I will say it again, drivetrain in this thing is nothing spectacular by any means, there is more advanced technology in that three cylinder petrol engine than in the electric setup or components. Since the PHEV setup is very basic they reverted to extreme and expensive light saving hence the big price tag and faux sports-car tag. Sports car on tires for snow rally, right. What surprises me the most is the media praise this car gets. If this car carried any other badge other than BMW it would not be even acknowledged that it exists, maybe for mocking reasons only or how we are still far away from the affordable EV vehicles.
as you said, it looks like a supercar and it is a BMW....

I wonder why nobody from media tested it without this really "small" battery powered fully. Is BMW giving them out to reviewers with restrictions? I mean most of them are still mentioning European 22 mile range and not US EPA 15 mile range.

Still, would be good to see i8M with M3's engine. Should be a lot lighter than M3.
Old 01-20-15, 04:40 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi

Up until the last sentence I was in complete agreement with this post.
Old 01-20-15, 10:28 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Everytime our BMW dealer gets one in it's already sold. Haven't had a chance to sit or play in one yet
BMW can thank pot $ for that
Old 01-20-15, 10:39 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

the more I look at this car the more I realize it really is that sexy and easily worth 100k when you compare it to what else is going for 100k now and days. You are really just paying for the looks and performance, personally I would rather have a fully loaded Tesla S
Old 01-20-15, 11:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DMPesso
the more I look at this car the more I realize it really is that sexy and easily worth 100k when you compare it to what else is going for 100k now and days. You are really just paying for the looks and performance, personally I would rather have a fully loaded Tesla S
it is certainly sexy.
Old 01-20-15, 12:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
market price is 250k right now with100k markup
Old 01-20-15, 02:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

market price is 250k right now with100k markup
with the "increased" production being 4300 per year worldwide, out of which 1000 is for the USA, i doubt that will change soon.
Old 01-20-15, 05:20 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

honestly, i don't really understand about the hype over this car. i guess it's different, it's cool, but the 100k markup and cars still getting sold like that, i just can't seem to understand the logic
I understand.

1, This is the only car BMW ever made with butterfly doors.
2, BMW haven't made any extra special halo model since the 850CSI, that was a very long time ago.
3, This thing has the latest electric hybrid components in it with a whole lot of carbon fiber, this is the latest and greatest from BMW.

These are the reasons why it is a must have for BMW fanboys, they got tons of cash burning in their pocket since the last car they bought is a 850CSI

To me, 3 cylinders sounds is hilarious in a $100k+ sports car, let alone a $200k+ car after mark up.

Last edited by BNR34; 01-20-15 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 01:02 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default BMW i8 gains several new options including a leather engine cover

BMW has announced plans to introduce an updated i8 at the Geneva Motor Show.

Starting with the interior, the model will now come standard with the "Pure Impulse Experience program" which comprises "exclusive lifestyle options in the areas of culture, design, travel and gastronomy in keeping with the progressive and sustainable 'next premium' approach of the BMW i brand."

The model will also be offered with several new options including a Carpo Carum Grey interior which has perforated Carum Grey leather seats, Amido metallic trim and BMW i Blue seatbelts as well as contrast stitching. Customers can also order high-gloss black brake calipers and a leather engine cover.

As a refresher, the BMW i8 has a plug-in hybrid powertrain that consists of a 1.5-liter TwinPower Turbo three-cylinder engine, an electric motor and a lithium-ion battery. This enables the car to have a combined maximum output of 362 PS (266 kW) which allows it to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 4.4 seconds and hit a limited top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph). More importantly, the i8 averages 2.1 L/100 km (134.5 mpg UK / 112 mpg US) and can travel up to 37 km (23 miles) on electricity alone.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502168...leather-engine
Old 02-26-15, 08:02 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default BMW i8 imagined as a racing car

Features a wide body kit

The independent digital artist Jon Sibal has creat a virtual project for a racing car based on the BMW i8.

The i8 GT3 features a wide body kit with heavily modified front bumper with integrated carbon fiber lip. On the side profile we noticed new side sills, while at the back there’s a new massive wing.

The production i8 features a plug-in hybrid system that includes a 1.5-liter 3-cylinder gasoline engine and an electric motor. The TwinPower Turbo unit generates 231 HP (170 kW) and 320 Nm (236 lb-ft), while the electric motor adds 131 HP (96 kW), which are transferred to the front wheels via a two-stage automatic gearbox. The combined output stands at 362 HP (266 kW) and 570 Nm (420 lb-ft) of torque.

The officially announced 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) sprint time is 4.4 seconds and the average fuel consumption is rated at 2.5 liters / 100 km (94 mpg US or 113 mpg UK).
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502268...s-a-racing-car
Old 03-11-15, 06:45 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Dubai police fleet expands with BMW i8 [video]

oins an already impressive fleet

The continuously growing Dubai Police fleet has gained a new member this week as they have taken delivery of a BMW i8.

It was only a couple of days ago when we found out the police authorities in Abu Dhabi got a Rolls-Royce Phantom and now Dubai has replied by adding a BMW i8. It joins a generous range of supercars including the mighty Bugatti Veyron, but also the rare Aston Martin One-77 and a Lamborghini Aventador.

A recent addition was a Lexus RC-F while previous purchases include a McLaren MP4-12C, BMW M6 Gran Coupe, Ferrari FF, Audi R8, Mercedes-Benz SL 63 AMG, Brabus B63S-700 Widestar, Bentley Continental, Nissan GT-R, Mercedes-Benz SLS and for some reason, a Renault Twizy.

None of these high-end automobiles are actually used as police cars as the authorities in Dubai just show them off at important touristic attractions across UAE's most populous city.
Special thanks go to Osama for sending us the tip!
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503119...h-bmw-i8-video
Old 03-24-15, 07:05 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default BMW i8 Faces Off Against Porsche 911 GTS

With its comparably skinny low-rolling resistance tires, the BMW i8 cannot keep up with a Porsche 911 GTS on track, but it’s not bad at it, and a more potent version with some tweaks could change the situation considerably.

BMW put a lot of focus into making the i8 efficient, so it would be interesting to see what would happen if they infused a little bit more Motorsport spirit. With more grip and a bit more power, the i8 could really being posing serious problems on track, as its electric boost would give it the acceleration edge over conventional rivals.

At least that’s the impression I was left with after watching it face off against the 911 GTS in the EVO video below. It looks like it’s nearly there in terms of performance, but that there’s definitely more to extract from it.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/bmw...e-911-gts.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW i8 thread