Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW i8 thread

Old 01-19-15, 12:31 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
If they made it slimmer and smaller they'd probably have lawsuits on people that claimed they couldn't get out of a car in an emergency.

In the Cadillac CTS coupe (outgoing model) the mechanical override was a pretty ugly lever down by the floor.
Rominl was being sarcastic. The mechanical override is already so small and fragile, as the guy explained that people were pulling too hard past the stop, and the whole thing snapped off
Old 01-19-15, 12:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
never have to pop the hood, that's about the lamest excuses anyone can come up with...
Why? I have NEVER understood the internet outrage over this.

Why would you create a heavier release mechanism for the hood when the customer have zero reason to access what's under there and it won't even be opened the vast majority of the time it visits the service department?

In a car that so heavily focused on weight reduction you're going to see comprises like this that are essentially inconsequential to the owner.
Old 01-19-15, 02:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

So the mechanical safety override latch breaks OFF super easy, how is this car legal for sale? You get in an accident where power is cut, you go to open the door and SNAP you can't get out. Bloody ridiculous and dangerous, even potentially fatal.
Old 01-19-15, 02:37 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by TangoRed

Why would you create a heavier release mechanism for the hood when the customer have zero reason to access what's under there and it won't even be opened the vast majority of the time it visits the service department?

In a car that so heavily focused on weight reduction you're going to see comprises like this that are essentially inconsequential to the owner.
really, how much weight could the standard hinges have added? 3-5 pounds? You have to choose wisely where to reduce the weight but you shouldn't have to make compromises that make mundane things into huge issues.
Old 01-19-15, 02:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
really, how much weight could the standard hinges have added? 3-5 pounds? You have to choose wisely where to reduce the weight but you shouldn't have to make compromises that make mundane things into huge issues.
Well said
Old 01-19-15, 02:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

that just looks like horrible cut cost engineering.

What happens when your battery is out, you tow it to nearby 24/7 BMW dealer? Your AAA guy will not know how to open this hood, and there need to be 2 guys or this carbon fibre hood might crack according to the video.

Needing to insert screw drivers to keep the hood open is just lack of attention to detail. What did they save with not providing some way to keep it at position, 5-10 grams?

As to door release, that just seems like it might get recalled since it could be a safety issue.
Old 01-19-15, 03:28 PM
RXSF

As to door release, that just seems like it might get recalled since it could be a safety issue.
Just like the emergency trunk releases in various Lexus sedans
Old 01-19-15, 03:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
These are just the mechanical backups, normal opening mechanisms are electronically released.
in the case of emergency, you better make sure you don't panic and break that thing off otherwise you can really go oh s......

Rominl was being sarcastic. The mechanical override is already so small and fragile, as the guy explained that people were pulling too hard past the stop, and the whole thing snapped off
exactly. i am glad my sarcasm worked

i have no problem on the hood pop. it's either that little string or a little latch. if that's going to save that 2oz and you call that important then by all means. again i have no issue

but in order to open up the hood correctly, you need two persons to do it at the same time, and only in certain steps so you don't scratch the front bumper. whereas a better more coherent engineering design that requires a simple movement to achieve the same result WITHOUT adding any significant weight? that's simply poor engineering. there is no other way around it.

and the battery is in there, and i assume some fluids might be under there. so yes, people do open it. just because it's hardly done doesn't mean it has to be a rocket science

i think i should be able to come up with a few weight saving techniques that can make it living hell for everyone
Old 01-19-15, 04:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Just like the emergency trunk releases in various Lexus sedans
One of these is not like the other.
Old 01-19-15, 04:26 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
One of these is not like the other.
Why? both are emergency back up releases. One is for the trunk, one is for the door. I was simply pointing out that Lexus was forced to recall those trunk releases because they would break if pulled incorrectly, so I agree it would only be a matter of time before BMW would have to do the same.
Old 01-19-15, 04:51 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd say cutting weight in an area that has no bearing on the consumer is the right place to be cutting weight. The hood will not need to be opened more than ~20 times during the cars lifetime based on the service schedule. And you're right, it probably would've added 3-5 pounds. In these lightweight car projects manufacturers are obsessive about weight. Cadillac has been sitting there bragging about saving 1-2 pounds in certain areas.

You allow a few overweight components over the thousands of parts that make a car and you end up with an overweight mess which will ruin the car and prove that you're a ****ty engineer. Now the brake guys need to redesign the brakes because they counted on a 3,600 lb car, not a 3,900 lb car. The battery guys are pissed because their 23 mile range is now 15 miles. That's how vehicle design works. You are an engineer- you are given weight, design, use, and failure criteria. You use those to produce the design. If user friendliness isn't one of the design requirements, wasting one cent (or one gram) on that attribute is not wise.

Originally Posted by spwolf
that just looks like horrible cut cost engineering.

What happens when your battery is out, you tow it to nearby 24/7 BMW dealer? Your AAA guy will not know how to open this hood, and there need to be 2 guys or this carbon fibre hood might crack according to the video.

Needing to insert screw drivers to keep the hood open is just lack of attention to detail. What did they save with not providing some way to keep it at position, 5-10 grams?

All dealers have off-hours drop off. With this cars hybrid system you are not supposed to have anyone touch it besides BMW roadside assistance.

This hood was designed to be opened by NO ONE besides a BMW tech.

Originally Posted by rominl
but in order to open up the hood correctly, you need two persons to do it at the same time, and only in certain steps so you don't scratch the front bumper. whereas a better more coherent engineering design that requires a simple movement to achieve the same result WITHOUT adding any significant weight? that's simply poor engineering. there is no other way around it.

and the battery is in there, and i assume some fluids might be under there. so yes, people do open it. just because it's hardly done doesn't mean it has to be a rocket science

i think i should be able to come up with a few weight saving techniques that can make it living hell for everyone
Don't be so quick to assume. The washer fluid is accessed under a separate, easy to manipulate flap. What other fluids is the consumer of a BMW i8 going to need to tend to? Owners will not be performing preventative maintenance on these suckers. There's nothing mechanical under this "hood" anyways, as all the drivetrain elements are in the back under a cover that can be opened normally and will be accessed much more often.

The only people we're talking here are BMW techs, in which case the engineering team clearly was not prioritizing. Any other suggestion to "fix" this "problem" would've been heavier and more expensive for too little of benefit.

In all, we don't know the hidden design constraints behind this decision other than the fact that one of most important priorities was to cut weight as much as possible. Yes, for a BMW M4 this would be an excruciatingly stupid design decision. For the limited production i8? Not so much, especially since this will never inconvenience the consumer.
Old 01-19-15, 04:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Why?
You really have to ask? People don't generally ride in the trunk!
Old 01-19-15, 05:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

I'd say cutting weight in an area that has no bearing on the consumer is the right place to be cutting weight. The hood will not need to be opened more than ~20 times during the cars lifetime based on the service schedule. And you're right, it probably would've added 3-5 pounds. In these lightweight car projects manufacturers are obsessive about weight. Cadillac has been sitting there bragging about saving 1-2 pounds in certain areas.

You allow a few overweight components over the thousands of parts that make a car and you end up with an overweight mess which will ruin the car and prove that you're a ****ty engineer. Now the brake guys need to redesign the brakes because they counted on a 3,600 lb car, not a 3,900 lb car. The battery guys are pissed because their 23 mile range is now 15 miles. That's how vehicle design works. You are an engineer- you are given weight, design, use, and failure criteria. You use those to produce the design. If user friendliness isn't one of the design requirements, wasting one cent (or one gram) on that attribute is not wise.

All dealers have off-hours drop off. With this cars hybrid system you are not supposed to have anyone touch it besides BMW roadside assistance.

This hood was designed to be opened by NO ONE besides a BMW tech.

Don't be so quick to assume. The washer fluid is accessed under a separate, easy to manipulate flap. What other fluids is the consumer of a BMW i8 going to need to tend to? Owners will not be performing preventative maintenance on these suckers. There's nothing mechanical under this "hood" anyways, as all the drivetrain elements are in the back under a cover that can be opened normally and will be accessed much more often.

The only people we're talking here are BMW techs, in which case the engineering team clearly was not prioritizing. Any other suggestion to "fix" this "problem" would've been heavier and more expensive for too little of benefit.

In all, we don't know the hidden design constraints behind this decision other than the fact that one of most important priorities was to cut weight as much as possible. Yes, for a BMW M4 this would be an excruciatingly stupid design decision. For the limited production i8? Not so much, especially since this will never inconvenience the consumer.
you can slice it however you want, but designing a emergency release latch that breaks easily and a hood that can scratch bumper easily and requires 2 technicians to open together can only be results of bad engineering, period.
Old 01-19-15, 08:25 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

bmw designing cars to protect the cars from their owners.

this is being sold off the truck only because people want to be the first for anything.

car isn't even that good looking. But silicon valley is probably eating it up
Old 01-19-15, 11:24 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, the car doesn't seem to be owner/user friendly from manually opening doors and hood, thats one thing, but how is living with it on a daily basis..??

I saw a real world review of i8 a few months back and its not that great as daily driver neither.. You Decide..

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/tes...is-nearly.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW i8 thread