Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to Build More SUVs as U.S. Demand Rises

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 09:40 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
Seriously I don't understand what do poor people want to do with CUVs. A wagon or van is way more practical if you need space. I understand luxury SUVs to some extent, but they are nowhere close to the utility of a true 4x4 or pick-up.

Americans like wagons but they don't like wagons. They will not buy long-roofed cars like we had back in the 1970s and 1980s (before the first Chrysler minivans came out).

They will buy butched-up wagons on stilts, with a higher undercarriage, larger wheels and tires and optional AWD (which is not necessary). A CUV is merely a butched-up wagon.

You are correct that CUVs do not offer the go-anywhere ability of true 4x4 SUVs, but buyers are obviously NOT looking for that (the fact that CUVs come in FWD models with optional rather than standard AWD confirms this). They are looking for the false sense of security offered by the larger tires and higher ride height (but forgetting the extra weight of the raised undercarriage).

But with true station wagons no longer available, people who like the idea of a station wagon have no choice but to get a CUV.
Old 01-20-15, 01:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
Seriously I don't understand what do poor people want to do with CUVs. A wagon or van is way more practical if you need space. I understand luxury SUVs to some extent, but they are nowhere close to the utility of a true 4x4 or pick-up.
Americans sure love them

Most of our guests on the RX usually suggest the available AWD (lacking on most Minivans) and commanding view are two prime reasons *shrugs*