Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I Don't Get the Whole "F" Sport Thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 04:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Actually on AWD versions it pure cosmetic upgrade as they dont get staggered wheels, bigger brakes, or suspension.
There are NO RWD cars in Northeast and ordering one is a nightmare
Originally Posted by Joeb427
True and that's a lot of F-Sports.

Nope, AWD versions still gets staggered wheels on the IS (and I believe GS) as well as the bigger brakes and AVS on top of sport-tuned springs/shocks.

What AWD doesn't get is the 8-speed, VGRS, and the rear wheel steering (GS only). The IS 250 is the least equipped F-Sport and doesn't get the bigger brakes nor AVS on either RWD or AWD F Sport versions, but still gets the sport tuned springs/shocks and staggered wheels.
Old 01-18-15, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

No staggered wheels or bigger brakes on the GS AWD F Sport unfortunately. You do obviously get AVS.
Old 01-18-15, 05:53 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

^^ don't forget the monster wheel gap
Old 01-18-15, 07:14 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Actually on AWD versions it pure cosmetic upgrade as they dont get staggered wheels, bigger brakes, or suspension.
There are NO RWD cars in Northeast and ordering one is a nightmare
not 100% accurate.

AWD still benefit from the AVS adaptive suspension and sports tuned shocks and still get 19 inch broader wheels for improved grip, albeit not staggered.

Though I will concede the RWD versions of F-Sport get significantly more suspension upgrades compared to their AWD brethren.
Old 01-19-15, 02:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

who really cares, we always wanted more options and now people complain about having options.

Here in Europe, I cant imagine buying Audi, BMW or MB without "sport" package (S-Line, M Sport, AMG Sport), because base models look poor. And they actually split it into small parts, so you can have S-Line outside and base model inside. Nobody is even talking about any kind of performance upgrade, strictly looks.

So F-Sport is actually above that and offers rounded, comprehensive package, for looks inside/out and suspension.

If people think it is silly, they can buy regular one... complaining about having extra options in something i cant understand at all.
Old 01-19-15, 12:00 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GSCT
I gotta get in here. First, to me "Sport" by itself conjures up visions of cheap dealer decal packs on Tercels and minivans that always had "Sport" decaled on the trunk. Second, "F" is as unique to Lexus as "M" or AMG is to BMW and Mercedes. Cadiilac even copied Lexus with their V- Sport. Third, the F Sports offer better seats, handling and (IMO), nicer looks than regular versions for the IS, GS, CT and NX - the only one that is kinda lame is the RX F Sport. Finally, I think the GS F is going to knock the car testers' socks off and toss their hats in the weeds.
You’re entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

However, I wouldn’t have bought an RX if not for the F-Sport package. Me and my wife test drove them over the years, 2002, 2006 and 2011 and neither me or my wife were ever sold on the regular RX or the overly “cushy” ride. Not meaning to knock it, after all it’s a Lexus but it just wasn’t for us. The F-Sport changed that for us with its appearance enhancements and better handling.

Sure it’s cosmetic changes appealed to us, the sportier front, the dark grey 19”wheels and the F-Sport exclusive cabernet interior. But it does also come with an 8 speed trans instead of a 6 speed and VDIM. Sport tuned shocks, front and rear stabilizer bars and performance dampers so it handles much better than the regular RX. It also comes standard with AWD so that is a good part of the added $$ premium.

What I don’t get is if the F Sport package across all models is increasing sales, why is it such a problem for so many people (not directed at you) on this forum. If people don't like the F Sport package or "don't get it" then don't buy it..
Old 01-19-15, 01:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
Had my 4GS in for 15K service yesterday. While waiting I took a look at two models I had only seen on the Internet, the RC-F, and the NX. I had panned both of them. After seeing them I changed my mind. I like them!

The RC-F had that special edition glittery blue paint. It was really pretty. But it was a tight fit sitting inside. The driver's seat felt snug, almost too snug, and the two rear seats must be there as a joke. Still, I liked the looks of the car. I suppose 4.4 to 60 is fast enough, but what's up with a snow button on a RC-F? That's a joke, right?

Then I took a good look at the NSX. I've turned 180 on this vehicle. I really like it. Luxury interior, enough HP to get the job done. A real Lexus. What I don't get is the F version of this particular vehicle. It's stupid.

I have a problem with all of the F Sport versions of different models including the GS FSport. It's the same friggin' engine! It might be one-tenth of a second quicker to 60, if that. It is the exact same engine! The slightly different front end is just cosmetic and a matter of taste but there is nothing special about the engine.

This seems like a money-making scheme from Lexus. My non-F Sport is just as fast on the highway as an F Sport, so why pay extra money for the F Sport? Add another 50-60 HP to the F Sport and you've got something worth buying.

As far as the new GS F goes (without the "sport") it is priced way too high. Much faster lux sedans can be had for the same price. So at the price point for the new "F" the car is underpowered. Drop the price 8-10 grand and they'll hit the sweet spot where power and price vs the competition makes sense.

Lexus needs to get its act together.
When the 2nd Gen IS came out in '06, one of the option packages was the X-Package. Really, what's the difference? Slight sport tuning, ground effects, etc. This has been going on since the muscle car era. Toyota even does the same kind of treatment--ever seen a Siena "SE" version, all sported up? I don't think anyone is taking their minivan to the track.

Not sure what the big deal is here.
Old 01-19-15, 01:42 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
But why remove the letter? "F Sport" sounds better, it forwards the idea that "F" stands for the sport side of Lexus. It fits in with the naming conventions of its competition. Removing the F now just confuses things further.

Anybody who would buy a GS-F or RC-F is an enthusiast to the point where they are going to understand that their car is different from an F Sport.

If something is working you don't just change it. You seem to want anything with the letter "F" to be a fire breathing screamer of a car totally out of reach of most buyers. Thats just not a business reality. The whole point of building a high performance "F" car is to sell the cheaper "F Sport" cars that people can actually buy. They aren't going to make money on the RC-F or GS-F.
Lexus isn't doing anything different than BMW does with the letter "M". And Audi uses "S-Line" to designate something I haven't figured out yet.

This is Marketing 101.
Old 01-19-15, 03:05 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nope, AWD versions still gets staggered wheels on the IS (and I believe GS) as well as the bigger brakes and AVS on top of sport-tuned springs/shocks.
You need to brush up on your Lexus knowledge.
Fsport AWD cars lack all of those features.

BTW BMW does same thing for their Xdrive Msport packs, but at least u can easily order a RWD car with no hassle.
Old 01-19-15, 03:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

BTW BMW does same thing for their Xdrive Msport packs, but at least u can easily order a RWD car with no hassle.
IS350 F Sport AWD DOES have AVS, F Sport brakes, and staggered wheels. Heck, even my IS350 non F Sport AWD has the staggered wheels.
Old 01-19-15, 03:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Not entirely true. AWD GS F Sports certainly get AVS, they just do not get the bigger brakes or the staggered wheels. They do get 19" wheels, just not staggered wheels. The IS AWD F Sport DOES get staggered wheels and the bigger brakes.

So it looks like you need to "brush up on your Lexus knowledge" too. On top of brushing up on your common courtesy. Corrado has been contributing a ton to CL, which is what has led to him being made a moderator. Even if he was incorrect about a couple facts here, he deserves more respect than a line like that.
Old 01-19-15, 06:38 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
Had my 4GS in for 15K service yesterday. While waiting I took a look at two models I had only seen on the Internet, the RC-F, and the NX. I had panned both of them. After seeing them I changed my mind. I like them!

The RC-F had that special edition glittery blue paint. It was really pretty. But it was a tight fit sitting inside. The driver's seat felt snug, almost too snug, and the two rear seats must be there as a joke. Still, I liked the looks of the car. I suppose 4.4 to 60 is fast enough, but what's up with a snow button on a RC-F? That's a joke, right?

Then I took a good look at the NSX. I've turned 180 on this vehicle. I really like it. Luxury interior, enough HP to get the job done. A real Lexus. What I don't get is the F version of this particular vehicle. It's stupid.

I have a problem with all of the F Sport versions of different models including the GS FSport. It's the same friggin' engine! It might be one-tenth of a second quicker to 60, if that. It is the exact same engine! The slightly different front end is just cosmetic and a matter of taste but there is nothing special about the engine.

This seems like a money-making scheme from Lexus. My non-F Sport is just as fast on the highway as an F Sport, so why pay extra money for the F Sport? Add another 50-60 HP to the F Sport and you've got something worth buying.

As far as the new GS F goes (without the "sport") it is priced way too high. Much faster lux sedans can be had for the same price. So at the price point for the new "F" the car is underpowered. Drop the price 8-10 grand and they'll hit the sweet spot where power and price vs the competition makes sense.

Lexus needs to get its act together.
Yeah! What he said! Just stupid, stupid, stupid! Bunch of crooks no good, low balling, high priced trinket cars.

Where can I get one?...
Old 01-20-15, 06:59 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Edmunds tested a GS350 F-Sport with LDH and it completed the slalom faster than a 560hp BMW M5 despite the GS350 being only 306hp. So F-Sport tuning is no joke

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/2013/road-test.html

Seem like you haven't done enough research on Lexus F-Sport program. Think about it : an F-Sport GS350 outslalomed a 560hp $90,000 BMW M5. I'd consider it a bargain.
Yup, and Edmunds also was able to pull an amazing slalom speed of 71mph with a 2IS equipped with the F-Sport accessories package (which is where the F-Sport brand began back in 2008).

If Lexus is able to continue delivering those levels of handling performance from tuning its base models, the F-Sport brand has achieved its objectives.
Old 01-21-15, 08:17 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is from the car salesman side of me.

Having the F-Sport versions does spur sales. Cosmetic changes/upgrades do matter to some shoppers. But F-Sport is more than cosmetics. You do feel the difference. That's worth the extra price premium for sure. Here's what bothers me. Some people want the F-Sport but will pretend its no big deal and try to negotiate the price to the same as the regular model. Then I'll say, lets do the regular model since you don't want to pay more. Then they refuse to take the regular model after having driven the F-Sport.

Its gotten worse with the Crafted Line. People will say, its just painted wheels and red seats. Why should I pay more....but they refuse to take the regular model after seeing it and don't want to pay more.

But its clear to me that F-Sport is desirable and needs to stay.

BMW has M and M-Sport and no one is complaining.

My fantasy would be to have 3 horsepower levels. Base power, F-Sport power then F power. My enthusiast side always speaks out in the end.
Old 01-21-15, 05:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
This is from the car salesman side of me.

Having the F-Sport versions does spur sales. Cosmetic changes/upgrades do matter to some shoppers. But F-Sport is more than cosmetics. You do feel the difference. That's worth the extra price premium for sure. Here's what bothers me. Some people want the F-Sport but will pretend its no big deal and try to negotiate the price to the same as the regular model. Then I'll say, lets do the regular model since you don't want to pay more. Then they refuse to take the regular model after having driven the F-Sport.

Its gotten worse with the Crafted Line. People will say, its just painted wheels and red seats. Why should I pay more....but they refuse to take the regular model after seeing it and don't want to pay more.

But its clear to me that F-Sport is desirable and needs to stay.

BMW has M and M-Sport and no one is complaining.

My fantasy would be to have 3 horsepower levels. Base power, F-Sport power then F power. My enthusiast side always speaks out in the end.
The Audi A, S, RS and Cadillac ?TS, VSport, V formula. I like it

Quick Reply: I Don't Get the Whole "F" Sport Thing