Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I Don't Get the Whole "F" Sport Thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Guess what? The GS-F will handle even better than the F Sport.
It should, considering it will probably have a more track-oriented suspension and underpinnings.

I hope, though, that they do a better job on the GS-F's underpinnings, overall, than they did when the IS-F was first introduced some seven years ago. I test-drove an early-production electric-blue IS-F at Lexus of Silver Spring in 2008. Among other local roads, I drove it on Route 29 (if you lived in MD back then, you might (?) remember U.S. 29's notorious frost-heaves before the pavement was resurfaced). On those frost-humps, the IS-F's suspension, even at the proper tire PSI (which I check before test-drives) was so stiff that the rear end of the car (which was lighter than the front end and its heavy V8) actually would come off the ground an inch or two and sometimes come down at a slight angle from a slightly different force on each rear wheel, requiring a small steering correction when it hit. I had to slow down markedly over those humps to go over them civilly...not that I was really going over them that fast to start with. I had never experienced that before on a test-drive, though I suspect that the rock-hard Mitsubishi Evo I also test-drove might have done the same thing on a rougher road....it was as stiff as the IS-F on minor bumps.

Now......before you respond, I know that you think I'm just some kind of Baby-Boomer Grandpa that grew up with pillow-soft 1960s Cadillacs and Lincolns and am so in love with rolling mush-cocoons that I simply can't accept a suspension or tires of modern specs. But, consider that, on the IS-F, it was not just my opinion. Road & Track, Car & Driver, and Automobile Magazine all tested an IS-F around the time I did, and all three publications, which were accustomed to driving stiffly-sprung performance vehicles, came up with pretty much the same conclusion....the IS-F's initial suspension was overly-harsh even by their standards. Lexus did make some changes to it the next year, though, which did made it a little more civil without giving up the excellent handling.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-15 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-17-15, 06:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Remember that IS-F came out 7 years ago. Since that time they redid the suspension on the IS-F and addressed those issues, released a RC-F that has been praised for its handling both on the road and on the track, and developed several models (the IS, the GS) that went from bottom of the pack to leading their segments in handling in one generation. I have confidence that Lexus understands how to design and build a great handling, yet drivable performance luxury car at this point.

Considering that the IS-F was basically the first performance car they had ever built, one would expect the first product to be less polished than the subsequent products.
Old 01-17-15, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Remember that IS-F came out 7 years ago. Since that time they redid the suspension on the IS-F and addressed those issues, released a RC-F that has been praised for its handling both on the road and on the track, and developed several models (the IS, the GS) that went from bottom of the pack to leading their segments in handling in one generation. I have confidence that Lexus understands how to design and build a great handling, yet drivable performance luxury car at this point.

Considering that the IS-F was basically the first performance car they had ever built, one would expect the first product to be less polished than the subsequent products.

True. That's why i said that I hope we initially see better from the GS-F, and like you, I'm confident that we will.

I haven't driven an RC yet....have you? Hope to do so in the coming year....though it seems to be in limited-production, and may be in short supply. I have a feeling most of them will come off the truck pre-sold....especially F models

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-15 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-17-15, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have not. Sat in them but have not driven one. They had several at Silver Spring and Rockville when I was there, including some Fs.
Old 01-17-15, 07:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand F Sport proliferation but I just wish Lexus did the power thing more like BMW. There's 3 choices of the 3, 4 and 5 series.
The 328 has around 240 hp (way more than the IS250), 335 has 300hp and M3 over 500. An IS-F would fix that.
On the other hand, I hate trying to copy another brand. All I really care is that Lexus give us more choices of power in the various models.
Old 01-17-15, 07:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I personally think this is quite exciting for Lexus . And think about it the regular GS since 2007 has had 306 hp and Lexus has carried that up to 2014. Now with the up coming release of the F model and 467hp is pretty iconic imo. Minus the hybrid model of course. Having a few different choices between models only gives the customer more choices. It's always been that way
Old 01-17-15, 08:31 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hilarious you say its priced too high when they haven't even hinted as to what the price will be LOL.

That's where you are wrong. The price is expected to be at least 75K base:

http://toyotacars2016.com/2016-lexus-gs-f-review-price/
Old 01-17-15, 08:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
That's where you are wrong. The price is expected to be at least 75K base:

http://toyotacars2016.com/2016-lexus-gs-f-review-price/
That's a site run by some dude in Serbia. Not remotely official.
Old 01-18-15, 12:52 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Had my 4GS in for 15K service yesterday. While waiting I took a look at two models I had only seen on the Internet, the RC-F, and the NX. I had panned both of them. After seeing them I changed my mind. I like them!

The RC-F had that special edition glittery blue paint. It was really pretty. But it was a tight fit sitting inside. The driver's seat felt snug, almost too snug, and the two rear seats must be there as a joke. Still, I liked the looks of the car. I suppose 4.4 to 60 is fast enough, but what's up with a snow button on a RC-F? That's a joke, right?

Then I took a good look at the NSX. I've turned 180 on this vehicle. I really like it. Luxury interior, enough HP to get the job done. A real Lexus. What I don't get is the F version of this particular vehicle. It's stupid.

I have a problem with all of the F Sport versions of different models including the GS FSport. It's the same friggin' engine! It might be one-tenth of a second quicker to 60, if that. It is the exact same engine! The slightly different front end is just cosmetic and a matter of taste but there is nothing special about the engine.

This seems like a money-making scheme from Lexus. My non-F Sport is just as fast on the highway as an F Sport, so why pay extra money for the F Sport? Add another 50-60 HP to the F Sport and you've got something worth buying.

As far as the new GS F goes (without the "sport") it is priced way too high. Much faster lux sedans can be had for the same price. So at the price point for the new "F" the car is underpowered. Drop the price 8-10 grand and they'll hit the sweet spot where power and price vs the competition makes sense.

Lexus needs to get its act together.
Differences between a F-Sport GS and a base GS :

1) semiautonomous self-adjusting suspension (AVS)--which can be tuned stiffer with the rotating dial in the car cabin
2) sports tuned shocks
3) larger 2 piece front rotors : 14inch rotors vs 13 inch rotors in non-F-Sport
4) larger 19 inch wheels, staggered for RWD models
5) VGRS -- speed sensitive steering, improves steering feel in Sport+ mode
6) Rear Wheel Steering (RWS) --decreases the car's turning radius at lower speeds, thus increasing car's agility and increases car's stability at highway speeds
7) VGRS+RWS+VDIM(Lexus stability control) is then coupled with Lexus software tuning to dramatically increase an F-Sport's handing/performance envelope over a non-F-Sport. This also known collectively as Lexus Dynamic Handling package (LDH)

Edmunds tested a GS350 F-Sport with LDH and it completed the slalom faster than a 560hp BMW M5 despite the GS350 being only 306hp. So F-Sport tuning is no joke

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/2013/road-test.html
A few runs later and the 2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport had done nothing less than tie the smaller and more singularly focused 2011 Lexus IS F with a speed of 69.7 mph through the slalom
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m5/2013/road-test.html
But despite the right ingredients, the end result left an odd taste in our mouths. The front end can feel ponderous, and understeer is way too prevalent for an M car. At our test track, its average slalom speed of 68.9 mph is nothing to sneer at, but it's no better than the last M5
Seem like you haven't done enough research on Lexus F-Sport program. Think about it : an F-Sport GS350 outslalomed a 560hp $90,000 BMW M5. I'd consider it a bargain.
Old 01-18-15, 06:42 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Truth be told if you are living in US and you want to get NX you need F-Sport package to delete the ugly base bumper. I'm still not sure how they could get F-Sport bumper approved but not the other bumper that is offered in the rest of the world. But then there is a question are you really ready to blow 50 grand on a CUV that does exact same thing and features same materials as loaded Rav4 or CX5.

F-Sport does get you better looks on almost all of the Lexus cars and SUV there is no question but is it worth 5k? For example on GS you get a lot less amenities in F-Sport package compared to Luxury package but cars' performance difference between those two packages is 10% in the best case scenario. Maybe if you equip it with LHP or whatever cornering would be noticeably better but then F-Sport option ends up being almost 40% more expensive than Luxury add-on. On IS its even more of a trade off between F-Sport and Luxury since you cant get the ventilated seats yet.

Bottom line F-Sport is cosmetics first everything else second.
Old 01-18-15, 08:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

They should have just called it SPORT and leave the F out ......
Old 01-18-15, 09:09 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The main thing that blows my mind about F Sport is that the owners think their cars are real F cars or simply do not know the difference . Its insane that people within the brand dont even know the difference. I showed a friend who just bought a GS350 F Sport an article on the GSF and she said " I just bought that car. " No wonder exhausts are so common on the ISF. Anything that will advertise the massive power difference is appealing. LOL
Umm wut. I do?? No I know exactly what my car is. **** I even know my car doesn't compare to a 550 (m sport) haha. I know exactly what an IS F is and I don't even like the IS. I like my F Sport. I didn't want an ultra luxed out GS. You guys ***** about wanting more choices but here you are complaining about the choices that lexus just started offering. Some people will never be happy. You want to see a pointless trim. I use to have a VW CC. I got the 2.0T Lux. I wanted the R Line but it was just to plain and wasn't anything more than ground affects. At least the F Sport GS is a lot more than that.

Last edited by sick21; 01-18-15 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-18-15, 10:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
They should have just called it SPORT and leave the F out ......
LOL, why?!? You guys talk about "F" like its some sacred thing. All the competitors reference their performance division in the name of their sport appearance/suspension package. M Sport, AMG Sport package, etc. Its just a letter.

Originally Posted by sick21
Umm wut. I do?? No I know exactly what my car is. **** I even know my car doesn't compare to a 550 (m sport) haha
He's not referring to any of us here on the forum, but clueless "general" consumers out in the marketplace.
Old 01-18-15, 10:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

LOL, why?!? You guys talk about "F" like its some sacred thing. All the competitors reference their performance division in the name of their sport appearance/suspension package. M Sport, AMG Sport package, etc. Its just a letter..
AMG and M are well established and iconic already, not the F, that's one good reason already, when you try to establish a brand playing catch up in the public ' s eye , try not to confuse them with something else the best you can.
F is just a letter, and the 3 point star is just a logo, but you cannot overestimate how important and valuable it is to a company. Did you read the annual reports of measuring how valuable the brand names are, benz and Toyota consistently come up top in luxury and non-luxury car brands, and it's because of the brand name/logo. THAT'S why a medicore Camry can still outsell all year after year, and early to mid 2000's Mercedes still sold very well despite being near the bottom of all quality surveys among all luxury and non ' luxury brands during that period, thanks to just that 3 point star logo .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-18-15 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-18-15, 10:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Had my 4GS in for 15K service yesterday. While waiting I took a look at two models I had only seen on the Internet, the RC-F, and the NX. I had panned both of them. After seeing them I changed my mind. I like them!

The RC-F had that special edition glittery blue paint. It was really pretty. But it was a tight fit sitting inside. The driver's seat felt snug, almost too snug, and the two rear seats must be there as a joke. Still, I liked the looks of the car. I suppose 4.4 to 60 is fast enough, but what's up with a snow button on a RC-F? That's a joke, right?

Then I took a good look at the NSX. I've turned 180 on this vehicle. I really like it. Luxury interior, enough HP to get the job done. A real Lexus. What I don't get is the F version of this particular vehicle. It's stupid.

I have a problem with all of the F Sport versions of different models including the GS FSport. It's the same friggin' engine! It might be one-tenth of a second quicker to 60, if that. It is the exact same engine! The slightly different front end is just cosmetic and a matter of taste but there is nothing special about the engine.

This seems like a money-making scheme from Lexus. My non-F Sport is just as fast on the highway as an F Sport, so why pay extra money for the F Sport? Add another 50-60 HP to the F Sport and you've got something worth buying.

As far as the new GS F goes (without the "sport") it is priced way too high. Much faster lux sedans can be had for the same price. So at the price point for the new "F" the car is underpowered. Drop the price 8-10 grand and they'll hit the sweet spot where power and price vs the competition makes sense.

Lexus needs to get its act together.
While I do not get the who GS-F or IS-F thing, I think the F-sport trim level is awesome and worth getting. I like it better than the base models of most Lexus products. One of my favourite details is the A, B, C pillars and roof being coloured all black.

Quick Reply: I Don't Get the Whole "F" Sport Thing