Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation Hyundai Elantra makes spy photo debut, cabin pics included

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 06:23 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Next generation Hyundai Elantra makes spy photo debut, cabin pics included

Click here to view more photos

Appears to keep the same proportions

The next generation Hyundai Elantra has been spied for the first time during preliminary winter testing.

Commercialized in South Korea as the "Avante", Hyundai's new Elantra won't look that much different compared to the outgoing model but it will get the latest styling updates introduced with the i20 and i30 facelift so look for sharper lines creating a more evolved design enhanced by a revised hexagonal grille. Judging by these spy images, the headlights don't seem to stretch that far back as they do on the current model while the curvy taillights should be replaced with more linear ones.

Codenamed AD, the new Elantra/Avante will keep the sloping roofline while up front on the bumper's side there are strips of LED daytime running lights. There are also some shots of the interior cabin which could host slightly better materials and more choices in terms of trims & upholsteries.

Under the hood there should be an array of CRDi diesel and Turbo GDi gasoline engines used in the latest Hyundai & Kia models and there are also talks of a more frugal hybrid derivative but that won't probably be available from day one. A coupe version should follow a year after the sedan's launch and there also might be a five-door GT hatchback variant for United States and Canada.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501168...py-photo-debut
Old 01-17-15, 12:13 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The current Elantra is a pretty good looking little car, I wonder if Hyundai will make the same mistake it made with the Sonata and go conservative.

I see it already has the stolen Lexus mirrors on it though.
Old 01-17-15, 11:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

isnt this a facelift?
Old 01-17-15, 07:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
isnt this a facelift?
Upon close inspection, it's a full redesign. Body looks wider and the giveaway for me besides interior door panels and seats differently styled is the beltline in the rear window is straighter and there's a quarter window in the rear door which the current model does not have.
Old 01-18-15, 12:53 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

This is most certainly NOT the "spy shot debut" of the AD Elantra (silly WCF). Also, it is most definitely a redesign. Unlike for the 2011 Elantra (MD/UD) from HD (2006-2010), it will be evolutionary the AD Avante/Elantra. Just as the LF Sonata is more conservative evolution of the YF Sonata. In fact, the AD Elantra is one of the first Hyundai production model designs approved under Peter Schreyer's leadership in 2013.

Most of the new Hyundai range launched last year, were designed or signed-off before he took office (ie Genesis DH and Sonata LF). Despite many incorrect assumptions, the new Sonata has nothing to do with him. The refresh of it for 2017 certainly will.

Adrian Padneau at World Car Fans has proven to be very lazy at times with his reports and as a result, inaccurate and misleading to those reading his material. One has been seeing the AD Elantra testing since the summer (above: photo 1-July 2014, photo 2-August 2014) and that car was already in its final shape internally in 2013. OP I would be very careful with some sources, as misinformation can be hamper your good intentions and efforts.

July 2014 Avante AD Spy Shot

AD Elantra Spy Shot August 2014

WCF may be more balanced and unbiased in comparison to the likes of Left Lane News (trash), Auto Blog, Jalopnik (Jalopdiks), Auto Spies (Auto Lies), and C&D, but the level blissful ignorance espoused towards Asian brands is expected at times.
Old 01-18-15, 03:31 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The current Elantra is a pretty good looking little car, I wonder if Hyundai will make the same mistake it made with the Sonata and go conservative.

I see it already has the stolen Lexus mirrors on it though.
Stolen Lexus mirrors? In what way? When did Lexus trademark mirror designs? Design patents/registrations by Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha from 2003-present (XF40 LS design selection) do not specifically protect such design elements and I don't see the similarities. Is that not similar to how people make absurd accusations, in saying the Lexus spindle grille stole from Audi's single frame grille (dates back to 2001 design proposal of C6 A6)? Despite how the 1995 LS400 originated the Lexus trapezoidal fascia shape and was sketched in 1991.

There's no comparison with Lexus mirrors, which are more prominently door mounted.
Old 01-18-15, 04:39 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundai needs to use that front as soon as they can, so Subaru will be called copy cat. LOL
Old 02-26-15, 11:48 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Next-gen Hyundai Elantra to be "very handsome" but not as distinctive

Hyundai Motor America CEO Dave Zuchowski has revealed some new details about the next-generation Elantra.

Speaking to Wards Auto, Zuchowski said the car will be a "very handsome vehicle" but "it’s not as distinctive" as its predecessor.

While that doesn't sound very promising, Hyundai's Senior Group Manager of Product Planning said the car has scored "significantly higher" than key rivals - including the Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus, Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla - in consumer clinics. Brandon Ramirez went on to say "The results, in relation to competitors, were the best ever in Hyundai history.”

While the company declined to go into specifics, our spies have already caught the model on numerous occasions. As a result, we know the car will have a sporty front fascia with a Genesis-inspired grille. The model will also have sweptback headlights, an upward sweeping beltline and a sporty roofline.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502268...y-handsome-but
Old 02-26-15, 12:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 02-26-15, 06:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hope this is a baby Genesis.
Old 02-26-15, 06:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

no mention about it being Corolla killer from media anymore (for those remembering launches of previous Elantra and Sonata).... I cant wait to see how it will look, but hopefully it is a bit more exciting than new Sonata.
Old 02-26-15, 06:48 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate the new wing mirror design Lexus is using!

The previous gen wing mirrors used in the current RX, 2IS, pre-facelift LS & previous ES looked so much nicer & classier
Old 03-11-15, 08:43 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Alleged 2016 Hyundai Elantra spotted

To be launched next month

An image purportedly depicting the next generation Hyundai Elantra has hit the web.

The vehicle from the photo shows a compact-sized Hyundai sedan with evolutionary design, sharing some of its design cues with the facelifted i40 and i30. The hexagonal radiator grille with chromed bars appears to be identical with the one of the spied test prototype of the 2016 Elantra from earlier this year. The car has also been equipped with vertical LED daytime running lights and projector headlights.

Known in South Korea as the Avante, the model will reportedly be unveiled in its home market next month with sales starting in mid-2015. The vehicle will probably get the 1.6-liter turbo petrol unit, introduced for the facelifted i30 family in December last year. A hybrid version could also be planned, but won’t be available at launch.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503119...lantra-spotted
Old 03-11-15, 11:28 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I really like the new Sonata design - but I also still like the current Elantra design

Old 03-11-15, 11:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm a bit underwhelmed. I do prefer the current Elantra as posted by bagwell

Quick Reply: Next generation Hyundai Elantra makes spy photo debut, cabin pics included