Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the Lexus Super Bowl Commercial “Super Bowl” Enough for the Super Bowl?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 03:47 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the Lexus Super Bowl Commercial “Super Bowl” Enough for the Super Bowl?

I don't think so, and I explain why on the blog. You can watch the spot below and decide for yourself.

Last edited by John Coyle; 01-16-15 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 03:54 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a half **** effort? Lexus should make a more car centric ad instead of this crap? What about the commercial about their F cars from a few months ago?
Old 01-16-15, 04:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Lexus hasn't made a decent commercial in a long time. Actually the the December to remember ones were pretty good this time around, but nothing like the ones from 8-10 years ago.

Favorite of all time is Moments featuring the GS
Old 01-16-15, 05:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Not very memorable IMO. I'm not the demographic they are going after so maybe (a big maybe) it will resonate with that target.
Old 01-16-15, 05:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Make some noise? What in a parking garage? Sorry not feeling this one. I saw one on TV last night of a 5-Series, E-Class and A6 driving around in circles in the desert. GS comes storming in and cuts each off (a slightly **** move ) and as the camera goes to an aerial view the GS shoots across completing the Lexus L. The commercial is still not on the Lexus Youtube Channel as of this post.
Old 01-16-15, 05:54 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

This is how you do a comprehensive commercial.
Old 01-16-15, 06:09 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Commercial like these that don't make any sense at all are just ignorant and too smart for itself. Overdone.
Old 01-16-15, 08:21 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
This is how you do a comprehensive commercial.
well a commercial doesn't have to be a movie or consist of haikus lol

It just has to be memorable and thought provoking. Sometimes the simples ones are best

not to fill this thread with other commercials but I just couldn't resist

Old 01-16-15, 08:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The NX commercial is not bad but not a standout. Where they fell short is the voice over (not the usual more passionate Lexus voiceover which I love). Hard to pinpoint what's still lacking but there's more...

The GS Superbowl commercial a couple years back was dramatic, suspenseful, stunning visuals = memorable!

Old 01-16-15, 09:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Whether the OP ad is fodder or not for the Super Bowl or not, I can't say, but it is definitely not my cup of tea. I DID however, like the traditional Lexus ads with the guy with the silky-smooth baritone voice.....forgot his name.

Old 01-17-15, 12:18 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad to see they've replaced some of the best marketing for a luxury brand with this bull****.
Old 01-17-15, 02:55 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

commercial is on point.

Unlike the GS commercial, it doesn't waste 2/3 of the airtime to reveal the product. The vehicle itself gets a lot of screen time.
Immediately you see that it is targeting the younger demographic. Immediately you see a shot of the car in the better looking F sport trim.
It relies on the polarizing looks of the car to catch your attention, as if it sells itself. It doesn't need another gimmick to catch your attention.
The commercial suggests agile handling.

It does not waste screen time focusing on one person talking to himself and rolling boogers.
The focus is the car, not gimmicks or actors.
Old 01-17-15, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Sad to see they've replaced some of the best marketing for a luxury brand with this bull****.
You can see they are obviously trying to target it to a MUCH younger audience than the original, classy, smooth-talking Lexus ads. That won't (necessary) make it SuperBowl fodder, though, as people of all ages tend to watch that event.
Old 01-17-15, 08:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I DID however, like the traditional Lexus ads with the guy with the silky-smooth baritone voice...
Of course you did

Ads with cars driving at 25 MPH talking about resale value just aren't current or effective. Ask Acura, they've been the last company to abandon them.

I don't love the ad, but its certainly not the worst car ad I've seen. Marketing today has a different mission, TV marketing grabs attention. Does that ad grab attention? I think it does.

Like it or not, its not 1992 anymore.

As for the LC Prado ad, I like the idea bridging the urban with the offered adventure, I think that ad is about a minute too long though.
Old 01-17-15, 01:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Of course you did

Ads with cars driving at 25 MPH talking about resale value just aren't current or effective. Ask Acura, they've been the last company to abandon them.
You poke fun at an old LS ad showing it going 25 MPH, yet this latest ad shows a couple of NX'es going through a parking-garage at all of 10 MPH. My late grandmother could hobble with her cane faster than that.

Ask Acura, they've been the last company to abandon them.
Ads or not, one certainly cannot point to Acura as an example of good effective marketing. (I'm not saying you were, but just using it as a metaphor). They are run by what is arguably the most stubborn management in the industry.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-15 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the Lexus Super Bowl Commercial “Super Bowl” Enough for the Super Bowl?