Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trying to make sense of the Uber-hate for the Toyota Camry from enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-15, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Saving money on maintenance, gas, and being able to pass the car of to your kids for college as their first vehicle at 225K and knowing they'll be fine.

While most Camrys are indeed reliable, giving one to your kid at 225K miles and sending him or her out on the road in it on a long trip to college may be pushing it. No car runs reliably forever. And kids, at that age, usually don't have a lot of spare money for repairs.
Old 01-16-15, 07:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

A well maintained Camry is still a reliable car at 225k miles. Also easy to repair and inexpensive to buy parts for.
Old 01-16-15, 07:49 PM
Gen3Camry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is somewhat random and veering off course perhaps, but I often compare my car, in person and in photos, to other vehicles, often vehicles widely loved by enthusiasts.

I'm not going to make a case for difference in driving experience, but I can't seem to justify the Gen 3 Camry being so much more "bland or boring" in styling compared to a gen 2 WRX. I actually prefer the sleeker more flowing lines, IMO it looks more upscale, like a large luxury car. Also prefer the longer hood.

Am I crazy? I feel like I must be one of the few people who prefers the Camry's styling. Maybe its because I've had WRX owners bloat about how "ugly" my Camry is compared to their WRX but I can't see it personally. I actually love seeing a nicely modded STI or WRX, but it almost seems to have a more "econobox" or even "appliance" appearance to me in the body shell, more short and stout, somewhat more angular and boxy. And maybe most other people don't see it, but I'm just wondering if anybody feels the same way?

And again, I really love WRX sedans. I do, however, find it a bit odd that modded ones far outnumber modded Camrys, when I honestly personally feel like one could almost pull off a more stylish ride in a 1992 Camry. But maybe I'm just a bit off.

Some cars seem to never catch on with enthusiasts and their styling is often criticized even though I often think they look better. An example is a 1969 Corvair Monza. My father got me a 1:18 Model and we were looking at it and saying how we thought it was more stylish than a 1964 Mustang, but how many restomodded Corvairs will you see for every 20 mustangs?

Last edited by Gen3Camry; 01-16-15 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
A well maintained Camry is still a reliable car at 225k miles. Also easy to repair and inexpensive to buy parts for.
Few people have more respect for older Camrys than I do, but if you would feel comfortable sending your son or daughter across the country in one with THAT many miles on it, fine. I'm just not sure that I would share your optimism.

As for repairs, some are easy and some are not. Just try changing the rear bank of spark plugs, for example, on a transversely-mounted V6.....THERE is where a technician earns his (or her) money. And manufacturers often claim that original platinum plugs are good for 100K miles, but, for several reasons, are sometimes best changed at 30-50K. At 100K, for example, sometimes the accumulated engine-heat burns the plug-threads into the cylinder-head threads so tightly (even with the anti-seize compound used at the factory) that they can be next to impossible to get out, even where they are easily reached up front and not on the rear bank.
Old 01-16-15, 08:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,681 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The gen3 Camry is as close to perfect as you'll get for a family sedan, plus the styling has aged incredibly well.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
And manufacturers often claim that original platinum plugs are good for 100K miles, but, for several reasons, they are best changed at 30-50K. At 100K, for example, sometimes the accumulated engine-heat burns the plug-threads into the block-threads (even with the anti-seize compound used at the factory) that they can be next to impossible to get out, even where they are easily reached up front and not on the rear bank.
This never happens if you use the factory plugs, no anti-seize needed the plugs have a coating that prevents this problem.
Old 01-16-15, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The gen3 Camry is as close to perfect as you'll get for a family sedan, plus the styling has aged incredibly well.
While more recent Toyotas have superb drivetrains and refinement (some of the best in the industry), it's unfortunate that they just don't seem to the same material solidness inside and in the sheet metal.
Old 01-16-15, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I think you're starting to stretch a little with your comparisons to the WRX OP lol.theyre very different cars, but to say an old Camry is more stylish I think is more than a little stretch. It's not surprising at all that you see more modded WRXs, it's an enthusiast oriented vehicle, the Cmary isn't.

What is stylish depends on the viewer, but I think you would find very few people would consider an older Camry stylish. I wouldn't consider many cars that old to be stylish by today's standards.

As to my kids in a 225k Camry, I'll admit probably not. But, they can still be very reliable cars.
Old 01-16-15, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This never happens if you use the factory plugs, no anti-seize needed the plugs have a coating that prevents this problem.
I've had some Toyota technicians (and techs from some other manufacturers) tell me otherwise. But even if the plugs don't get burned in, they can still be a b***h to get to on a transverse V6's rear-bank. Fortunately, that usually doesn't have to be done very often.

Fortunately, though, most technicians have a number of devices in their tool-chests that can help make a tough job like that a little easier, including swivel-plug-sockets.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-16-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 08:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,681 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But even if the plugs don't get burned in, they can still be a b***h to get to on a transverse V6's rear-bank.
No doubt about that, on some Toyota V6's it is impossible to replace the rear plugs without removing the plenum. But it's a small problem compared to the nightmarish designs of some cars, here's one example.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvYG23C80K0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQwHNo4gC90
Old 01-16-15, 09:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No doubt about that, on some Toyota V6's it is impossible to replace the rear plugs without removing the plenum. But it's a small problem compared to the nightmarish designs of some cars, here's one example.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvYG23C80K0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQwHNo4gC90
Thanks...interesting video. Eric does know his stuff.

That 3.4L GM V6, BTW, unlike the larger, older 3.8L V6 that was almost almost bulletproof, had a reputation for having more problems. Its more complex OHC design than the pushrod 3.8 also made some things more difficult to work on.
Old 01-18-15, 01:57 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 95 Camry and currently a 2001. They indeed are good quality cars, but for me I bought them for one purpose. That is to drive them to work and not worry about dings and dent or it getting stolen as it is just to get from point A to Point B. That and to keep the miles off the Acura
Old 01-18-15, 08:58 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gen3Camry
Here are some photos of modded gen 3's
A few more:

I had that same generation Camry as well. It was solid.
Old 01-18-15, 11:13 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I happen to think that the XSE trim of the current Camry looks great and if reviews are to be believed, the Camry XSE isn't a boring car to drive anymore.

Last edited by natnut; 01-18-15 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-18-15, 11:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

^^^ classic toyota tire size and gap fail though
Old 01-19-15, 05:33 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

the camry is a great daily beater and still is IMO. its a great family car that will get you to point a to point b. the people that hate on the camry are probably anti Toyota to start with (insert xxx fan boy here). they means they will continue to hate on the camry no matter what.

in the end, let whoever hates on camry. who cares? i dont think toyota could care less. they will still sale tons of them and make tons of money. so who gets the last laugh