Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Avenir Concept

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 11:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Love the interior and dash. It's very clean and easy on the eyes. However, the exterior is an ungainly, sagging tub. The pointy rear does not match the swoopy sides. It's no prettier than the lamented first generation Acura CL, defunct Saturn Aura, and cheesy Pontiacs of the same era.
Agreed, the front grille needs to make a bigger splash. Times have moved on with grilles and it's time for Buick to get with the decade. Same goes for the skimpy and dated air intake openings at the bottom half of the front bumper.
Old 01-12-15, 05:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

these concept interiors always look minimalist with thin seats and thin trim pieces... and they never make it to production, especially the seats which would be like rocks.
Old 01-12-15, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
these concept interiors always look minimalist with thin seats and thin trim pieces... and they never make it to production, especially the seats which would be like rocks.
That's also because most of them also don't have a real set of controls/gauges.
Old 01-12-15, 08:15 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Would do better as a Cadillac which from what I understand is not doing very well with their uncompetitive line up.
It doesn't really fit Caddy's design concepts.

And, at least as to the ATS and CTS, Caddy's problem isn't the cars aren't competitive--it's that car buyers don't know it. And even if Caddy wasn't competitive, putting this in the lineup doesn't make them competitive--it's all in the execution (see, for example, any XTS reviews--looks nice, but that's about it).
Old 01-12-15, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
It doesn't really fit Caddy's design concepts.

And, at least as to the ATS and CTS, Caddy's problem isn't the cars aren't competitive--it's that car buyers don't know it.
Is it that they don't know it.....or that they don't want to know it, and persist with outdated stereotypes?

And even if Caddy wasn't competitive, putting this in the lineup doesn't make them competitive--it's all in the execution (see, for example, any XTS reviews--looks nice, but that's about it).
The XTS, though, is different from the CTS and ATS. The public is shunning that car for valid reasons....it is not a true Cadillac flagship, as this proposed one would be.

And if the Cadillac version sells, the Buick version probably would also. Large, full-size Buicks often appeal to those who like the idea of essentially getting a full-size Cadillac at a somewhat lower price. That's what drove Buick Electra/Roadmaster/Park Avenue and Oldsmobile 98 sales for decades.
Old 01-12-15, 11:51 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not surprisingly, it seems to be the same platform Cadillac is using for its own Elmiraj flagship concept....though the article doesn't state that.

Its a concept, I doubt there is a "platform"
Old 01-12-15, 12:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
These sci fi concept interiors even on luxury cars are annoying. Would anyone really want a car with a interior like that. So plain and cold. Looks like it will take forever just to adjust the radio or HVAC being forced to surf through a bunch of menu's since the trend is to eliminate all the buttons and dials for the tablet in a car look/operation.
Old 01-12-15, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
Its a concept, I doubt there is a "platform"
Platforms can be for either design/concept or production purposes.
Old 01-12-15, 04:48 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

not bad @ all.....thumbs up
Old 01-13-15, 05:12 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Avenir Concept Would Make a Great Buick Flagship [w/Video]

Buick’s Avenir concept on display at the Detroit Auto Show is a beautiful surprise and may preview a future production flagship model for the brand.

In the words of Ed Welburn, vice president of General Motors Global Design, the Avenir study “demonstrates the growing international reach of Buick and offers an exciting vision of where it can go.”

The Avenir is a four-seat full-size luxury sedan that stretches 204.5 inches (5,195 mm) in length and 76 inches (1,931 mm) in width. It has a lot of presence, thanks to the long hood, short overhangs, the sloping rear deck and the 21-inch wheels it rides on.

The study is powered by a next-generation direct-injected V6 engine with fuel-saving Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and stop/start technology, mated to a 9-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission. It also features a twin-clutch all-wheel-drive system and driver-selectable suspension damping.

Inside, the next-generation Buick IntelliLink infotainment system with large, 12-inch-diagonal color touch screen takes center stage on the dashboard, while the four-seat arrangement gives it a special touch. Buick says interior surfaces are inspired by nature and sea waves receding on a beach – a motif featured on the seats and carried through in other trim components, even the carpet.

Light and natural colors combine with oiled and buffed wood trim, as well as Galvano satin-chrome accents for a luxurious ambience. Besides plenty of space and luxury, rear seat passengers also get USB ports and video screens that allow them to plug in to their favorite media.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/ave...ake-great.html
Old 01-13-15, 09:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Is it that they don't know it.....or that they don't want to know it, and persist with outdated stereotypes?
It's the same thing--perception is reality. Again--Hyundai and Kia. People noticing they are making much improved cars has expanded well beyond those that keep tabs on the auto industry. And it's really no different that the Japanese brands in the 70s and 80s. People laughed, they figured out how to lure people to their cars; friends, neighbors and relatives started hearing from word of mouth that they aren't actually crappy cars, and they become a world standard. It doesn't happen overnight--but you can't just keep saying "Trust us, our cars are good too" and expect everyone to beat a path to your door.

The XTS, though, is different from the CTS and ATS. The public is shunning that car for valid reasons....it is not a true Cadillac flagship, as this proposed one would be.
Well--that's your assumption. I don't think anyone has polled the public as to the reasons the XTS isn't selling. You can't have it both ways--ATS and CTS are great and competitive cars, but don't sell because they are priced right in line with competition. XTS is priced ok, but isn't a great flagship car (not everyone wants or needs a "flagship" car anyway). How is it that every car in the Caddy line up doesn't sell well, but each for a different reason? As opposed to public perception of the Cadillac brand, real or perceived? I just don't buy that.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-13-15 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-13-15, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well--that's your assumption. I don't think anyone has polled the public as to the reasons the XTS isn't selling. You can't have it both ways--ATS and CTS are great and competitive cars, but don't sell because they are priced right in line with competition. XTS is priced ok, but isn't a great flagship car (not everyone wants or needs a "flagship" car anyway). How is it that every car in the Caddy line up doesn't sell well, but each for a different reason? As opposed to public perception of the Cadillac brand, real or perceived? I just don't buy that.
If you want another opinion besides mine on the XTS, here's a credible one:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/12/...cars-to-avoid/
Old 01-13-15, 05:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

If you want another opinion besides mine on the XTS, here's a credible one:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/12/...cars-to-avoid/
I trust your judgment about the car, but just because the XTS is a POS doesn't mean that's why people don't buy it. There's plenty of POS cars on the road in volume numbers.
Old 01-13-15, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I trust your judgment about the car, but just because the XTS is a POS doesn't mean that's why people don't buy it. There's plenty of POS cars on the road in volume numbers.
It's not a POS (trust me.....I've seen lots worse) . Not everything about it is bad news. Except for the CUE system, its interior (especially the trim) is generally better than that of the DTS it replaces. Like Lincoln's rival MKS, it offers the AWD system that neither the DTS or STS ever got. But I found the XTS I reviewed disappointing in its ride, sound-insulation, and general refinement level. It was not, IMO, worthy of being a top-level Cadillac. In addition, the one I drove had a small but noticeable shimmy/steering-wheel shake in the front end at freeway speeds....something that I noticed, on Cadillac forums/blogs, was a fairly common complaint with the XTS, especially early-producton ones.
Old 01-13-15, 10:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

love this design until I get to the rear. Looks like it could be a future Bentley model

Quick Reply: Buick Avenir Concept