Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Time Selling a Vehicle - Craigslist Process and Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 09:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default First Time Selling a Vehicle - Craigslist Process and Tips

After over a decade of ownership, I am selling the IS. She runs great but the lack of modern technology has got me aching for something else. Plus, she is (over)do for the major timing belt and water pump service and I see no reason to spend more money.

So I have never really sold a vehicle in private sale before. Usually I end up trading them in so I have no idea how the process works.

I have already posted the ad on Craigslist for the IS and have gotten tons of responses, but I have really only been interacting with one person whom I consider to be the most serious.

I plan to meet him in downtown, somewhere busy, where he can view and test drive the car.

Just curious if anyone has any tips or experiences on how to proceed with the sale, particularly those who have done so in CA?

I do have some specific questions.

I have the title with me and I understand that there is space on the bottom for when you sell the vehicle. I assume we both fill it out with the price and mileage and sign. Is this a sufficient agreement? Do I need to write up something simple for the buyer to sign, such as "sold as is", release of liability, etc?

I know I will have to complete the Notice of Transfer and Liability Release through the DMV online form. Do I need to do anything else with the DMV (California) besides paying the transfer fee?

The next tricky bit is that I have personalized plates and the title lists the original randomized plate number. I believe I still have the randomized plates somewhere, do I give those to the buyer? Do I keep my own personalized plate and cancel it with the DMV separately? On all the forms, which plate number do I use?

I understand this should be Cash only as cashier's checks can be made fraudulent

I understand I must perform a smog check.

Am I missing anything? TIA
Old 01-09-15, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

1) no need to sign anything extra. you take the money, you sign, give him the pink slip, you retain the top part to release your liability (make copy) and make it in

2) the notice of transfer of liability form is also available as the top part of your pink slip. that's all you need to send in

3) you do NOT need to pay any fee!!!!!! there is no transfer fee. all you are responsible for is a smog cert (pass) within 90 days for the new owner. that's required

4) no need to give plates. when i bought my nsx, it had personalized plate and the owner took it (car had no plates at all when i registered at aaa). they simply stated the car had no plate so a new plate was issued to me. and so i believe you will cancel the vanity plate yourself (especially since you have the ability to transfer to another car of yours if you want)

5) sometimes i am afraid of cash too. usually what i do is go to the buyer's bank together, go to the cashier together, and you overlook him getting an official bank check (you can confirm with the clerk), meaning the fund is OUT of the buyer's account already before they issue the check. then you take the check and deposit. if you and the buyer have accounts at the same bank, it's even easier.

6) if the above doesn't work, yes, cold hard cash only and you might want to get one of those markers to test the bills

basically once the car is sold (you get the money and he gets the pink slip + smog cert), it's done deal. the car can break down the next morning and there is nothing to do with you. just make sure you send in the release of liability

good luck!
Old 01-09-15, 10:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Write up a simple contract.

"I sell this car to this guy for this price." Both of you sign and date. Photos and witnesses if available. Make copies.

It becomes a legal document.
Old 01-10-15, 08:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Great, thanks. Rominl, you may it sound so easy...lol
Old 01-10-15, 09:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Great, thanks. Rominl, you may it sound so easy...lol
haha seriously it shouldn't be that hard. i personally care more about you getting real money for your car. the rest? it's up to the buyer

i have sold more than few cars in similar fashions as above one way or another

good luck!
Old 01-11-15, 06:16 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

The only thing I would add to the above items is to absolutely ride along on the test drive for several reasons. Most importantly is to be sure the car will come back and also to answer questions in case the buyer is not familiar with the operation of your car.
Old 01-11-15, 08:55 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts
Default Default First Time Selling a Vehicle - Craigslist Process and Tips

If you receive an email from someone who says they will pay your asking price but they can't view the car because they are on active duty but they will send someone to pick it up and all you need to do is provide certain personal info ............ RUN AWAY!