Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM cuts price on most Cadillac CTS sedans amid weak demand

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 12:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Cadillac should of brought back the STS name and left CTS a 3series/IS/A4/Cclass competitor.

- interior and exterior styling is very bland even old looking.
- CUE is no good
- Car was overpriced prob doesn't lease well either.

Standard gauge cluster looks like it came of Chevy Malibu

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-09-15 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 01:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Cadillac should of brought back the STS name and left CTS a 3series/IS/A4/Cclass competitor.

- interior and exterior styling is very bland even old looking.
- CUE is no good
- Car was overpriced prob doesn't lease well either.

Standard gauge cluster looks like it came of Chevy Malibu

The instrument panel definitely does not live up to the rest of the CTS/ATS interior. CUE is allegedly getting better.

But as to pricing, I've said it here and elsewhere, I think Caddy needs to figure out a strategy of undercutting competitor pricing, without rebates, until their lineup really has established a true brand loyalty. This is what Lexus did when it was introduced--you could get an LS400, with lots of bells and whistles, for significantly less than an S Class.

And I don't think that Caddy needs to literally drop prices. I would think they could adapt the Hyundai strategy--for the same price you are paying for our competitor's car, look at all the additional features we will include [like, um, a really cool IP perhaps?]. There's just too many people out there that are going to go with Lexus, Audi, BMW, MB or whatever if a Caddy costs the same, and there's no added value. I think a fair number of people don't even bother going into a Caddy showroom because of this. If shoppers don't realize that the MSRP is illusory because there's thousands of dollars in rebates that make the Caddy more attractive, they may not even bother. But if Caddys had more features that competitors didn't include, or were optional, more buyers may be lured to Caddy--and THEN realize that Caddy's product line is much improved. The Hyundai name was crap 10 years ago--and now they produce legitimately competitive cars in very tough categories.

Not to mention that Caddy still has a lot of the grandfather car perception to shake.

But Caddy would rather hold the line on prices, change the lineup name, and move HQ to NYC.
Old 01-09-15, 07:32 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
But as to pricing, I've said it here and elsewhere, I think Caddy needs to figure out a strategy of undercutting competitor pricing, without rebates, until their lineup really has established a true brand loyalty. This is what Lexus did when it was introduced--you could get an LS400, with lots of bells and whistles, for significantly less than an S Class.

That is what the Japanese (including Acura and Lexus) did before they were fully established. And it is what Hyundai and Kia have been doing -- offer more features at a competitive (or even lower price) until buyers accept it as a viable option when shopping. And it will likely be what the Chinese do when they finally start to sell here.
Old 01-09-15, 07:48 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
BMW received just as much, if not more, bad press about the original iDrive. I don't think it hurt their sales, people got used to it, BMW improved it, and they haven't missed a step. I don't think I've read a good thing about the Lexus mouse controlled infotainment system either--but I'm assuming you have gotten used to that.

In fact, I've seen a handful of '15 ATS/CTS reviews, and postings by people who have received '15 Caddy loaners when compared to their '13s or '14s, which state that CUE is more responsive and improved in 2 years time.
Good to know. I'll go check out the CTS (at the new lower price). Thanks.