Lexus debuts 2016 GS F

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 05:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
at least i think it's a much better fight

and even yaguchi said it's a 4 door rcf, and rcf goes against m4, and m4 is a 2-door m3
well, there we go... GS is 3 series competitor. Pretty sure what Yaguchi-san meant was that RC is 2 door version of GS, but all right.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
If we follow their logic, LS-F (if we ever see one) we'll go against M5 and AMG

Yes, as supposed to M7 of course... right? :-)

Besides, reality check CLS63 is faster than S65... and S63 uses same engine as CLS63. Oh noes :-).

Of course, I doubt LS-F will ever happen. Large sedan market is whimpering off, they better invest it into another road going SUV, thats what people seem to be buying these days.
Old 01-23-15, 05:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, there we go... GS is 3 series competitor. Pretty sure what Yaguchi-san meant was that RC is 2 door version of GS, but all right.
gotta love silly generalization. i said gsf going against m3, i didn't say gs going against 3, but all right

plus since the beginning a lot of the lovers on this car have been telling me it's absurd to compare this car to the m5 and e63. i don't know, make up your mind?

i guess the official answer might be this car is not to be compared with anything else.
Old 01-23-15, 06:32 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Of course, I doubt LS-F will ever happen. Large sedan market is whimpering off, they better invest it into another road going SUV, thats what people seem to be buying these days.

I think they should make one, but only when they have something new to put under the hood. Putting an IS-F engine in LS-F and calling it a bigger RC-F with 4 doors just won't fly.
Old 01-23-15, 07:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Which means RC F competes with M6 too ?
Old 01-23-15, 07:16 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I think they should make one, but only when they have something new to put under the hood. Putting an IS-F engine in LS-F and calling it a bigger RC-F with 4 doors just won't fly.
Yeah! They can't put the ISF engine in the LSF. That's like putting an RCF engine in the GSF.
Old 01-23-15, 08:17 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
Yeah! They can't put the ISF engine in the LSF. That's like putting an RCF engine in the GSF.

Old 01-23-15, 08:27 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SNiiP3R, do one with:

So RCF is M4 and GSF is M3.

We'll go deeper and make LSF a 1M.

LOL.
Old 01-23-15, 10:18 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i guess the official answer might be this car is not to be compared with anything else.
100% my sentiment. I have been away from the site for a while with football season and all, but once the GS-F officially hit headlines I came back expecting all of these comparisons and dissections, with a few people keeping perspective Just be happy a GS-F is on its way, and if that doesn't do it for you, go to another brand/car. Were all of you really going to pony up for the "expected" 500+ HP GS-F?
Old 01-23-15, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSthe4th
Just be happy a GS-F is on its way
sorry but i don't buy into that excuse. i don't settle for what i consider not a complete product
Old 01-24-15, 01:31 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sorry but i don't buy into that excuse. i don't settle for what i consider not a complete product
While I agree it may not be a complete product in many people'e opinion, buyers will speak with their wallets, and those who want one will of course buy/lease one, and those that don't will look elsewhere (I am looking at a 5LS-F, RS7 or S8 in 2017 because I want what I would/hope to be a complete product). I am sure this is not the car for you either, and you are not the only one who feels the way you do. The question for me is, what is Lexus' true goal with this car? And the "F" line in general? I would guess that few really know, and it will play out in the coming years.

Lexus needs people like you to hold its feet to the fire and provide constructive criticisms that go beyond the "lack" of HP.

Last edited by GSthe4th; 01-24-15 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-24-15, 11:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

gotta love silly generalization. i said gsf going against m3, i didn't say gs going against 3, but all right

plus since the beginning a lot of the lovers on this car have been telling me it's absurd to compare this car to the m5 and e63. i don't know, make up your mind?

Yet this commercial is comparing this to the other german cars: The no-leather standard E class, the fwd audi, and then being more powerful than the 4 cylinder 528, more standard hp than the german cars

So it's ok that the regular GS 350 can be compared to the other weaklings?

I am so ever confused
Old 01-24-15, 03:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Yet this commercial is comparing this to the other german cars: The no-leather standard E class, the fwd audi, and then being more powerful than the 4 cylinder 528, more standard hp than the german cars

Lexus GS - Hypnotize Commercial - YouTube

So it's ok that the regular GS 350 can be compared to the other weaklings?

I am so ever confused
not sure why wouldn't it be compared to M5 exactly? It is not that clear cut at all... I mean +300lbs and $30k extra for twin turbos.
Old 01-24-15, 03:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSthe4th
While I agree it may not be a complete product in many people'e opinion, buyers will speak with their wallets, and those who want one will of course buy/lease one, and those that don't will look elsewhere (I am looking at a 5LS-F, RS7 or S8 in 2017 because I want what I would/hope to be a complete product). I am sure this is not the car for you either, and you are not the only one who feels the way you do. The question for me is, what is Lexus' true goal with this car? And the "F" line in general? I would guess that few really know, and it will play out in the coming years.

Lexus needs people like you to hold its feet to the fire and provide constructive criticisms that go beyond the "lack" of HP.
i look at it two ways. sales number is definitely one metric but if that's the case it won't be pretty on lexus at all. isf doesn't sell in volume compared to m3 at all but i don't think it's a bad car at all either. the 2nd metric is just how cars compare to each other everything considered

of course everyone can argue the meaning of F, trust me lexus is probably trying to define it now too. however, public perception imho is probably bigger than anything and what's going to impact most. like it or not, lexus came out with the F since 2008 and it was enough of a clear message to fight the m and amg (people need to stop lying to themselves otherwise). the isf was close competition to m3 and i like that car a lot. the rcf is close competition to m4 as well imho and i think it's not a bad car either. the lfa obviously is a statement car.

so with that, comes the gsf and to everyone (read, not lexus fan and include those outside of clublexus) it's very logical to think this car goes up against the m5 and e63. it's not in a very good position now imho

i like lexus and i have been buying lexus for good reasons. i think they have done a lot of good things and smart moves. but i don't think i am here to defend their every moves especially when i think they made bad moves. i can easily name few big mistakes they made in past years

not sure why wouldn't it be compared to M5 exactly? It is not that clear cut at all... I mean +300lbs and $30k extra for twin turbos.
i don't know, i want to. but ask the members who called us crazy and dreaming for trying to compare the gsf to m5 and e63
Old 01-25-15, 01:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Sorry for the interruption, but I'd like to ask if there's a thread or any info on the regular GS refresh. I've been roughly following this thread, but don't recall seeing anything. A search pulls up nothing. I was under the impression we'd be seeing a facelifted GS along with the GS-F.
TIA
Old 01-25-15, 06:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

so i was looking at the m5 page here...

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...M5SedanRD.aspx

essentially it's 80 more HP and probably $20K more than the GS-F will be. but the M5 is nearly 4400lbs. they're both RWD, both have fancy differential. the M5 is 7 speed DCT and the GS-F will have the already known to be quick and effective IS-F 8 speed.

you know, i don't think this GS-F is going to be THAT far off the M5 in performance, and for $20K+ less, it might end up just being a real bargain.

before we start again with it not having the same hp, perhaps we should wait for the test drives and results...

i put the e63 on another level because the amg awd is going to make traction and applying power a whole bunch better.

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F