GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 08:57 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
On some level, I think Lexus is being handcuffed by the LFA. Imagine telling the 500 or so owners of their 2yr old $400k supercar has less HP than the guy with the $80k car? Yes yes it's an out of production car designed 10yrs ago and its in a different class, but a flagship is a flagship and a halo car is a halo car. For Lexus to leapfrog that car in HP is in some ways embarrassing. I see Lexus letting lose with their next iteration of the F cars, reaching at or above the 550HP level, perhaps in 3 years. That should be sufficient time since the LFA production ended.
To counter this philosophy, Ford built the 662hp Shelby GT500 for one third the price of the Ford GT, did not seem to hurt the values of used GT's or disgruntle the owners.
Old 01-15-15, 09:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

LoL the 2009 SLR McLaren is like a $half mill. car and has only 600hp V8, similar to the the much cheaper SL65 V12, so all the SLR buyers must feel really ripped off, as they should be protected by Mercedes !! ...
Old 01-15-15, 09:31 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
To counter this philosophy, Ford built the 662hp Shelby GT500 for one third the price of the Ford GT, did not seem to hurt the values of used GT's or disgruntle the owners.
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
LoL the 2009 SLR McLaren is like a $half mill. car and has only 600hp V8, similar to the the much cheaper SL65 V12, so all the SLR buyers must feel really ripped off, as they should be protected by Mercedes !! ...
Do you guys realize he's talking about Lexus, not other manufactures?
Old 01-15-15, 09:37 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by cino
Do you guys realize he's talking about Lexus, not other manufactures?
Yes, but he is just guessing at why Lexus would do this. It is not something Lexus has stated. We are only providing examples from other manufacturers of this not being the case. I doubt Lexus cares if the few people who bought the LFA we upset by being overpowered by a newer model.

The truth of the matter is that it made more business sense for Lexus to drop an existing engine into the GS-F to hit a certain price point they felt would sell, as a Lexus. If they went all crazy twin turbo 600hp then the GSF would be $120k+ and they would sell even fewer. Not because it would hurt the feelings of the 5 people in the US who actually own an LFA.
Old 01-15-15, 09:44 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Yes, but he is just guessing at why Lexus would do this. It is not something Lexus has stated. We are only providing examples from other manufacturers of this not being the case. I doubt Lexus cares if the few people who bought the LFA we upset by being overpowered by a newer model.

The truth of the matter is that it made more business sense for Lexus to drop an existing engine into the GS-F to hit a certain price point they felt would sell, as a Lexus. If they went all crazy twin turbo 600hp then the GSF would be $120k+ and they would sell even fewer. Not because it would hurt the feelings of the 5 people in the US who actually own an LFA.
What if I tell you Toyota probably consider not to overpower LFA yet and to make GS-F affordable? Though, for a company that makes this much profit, I don't see a reason why they can't build an image shedding car. Those engineers need a new project to work on, how can they spend all their time working on Camry? What a boring job?
Old 01-15-15, 09:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I DOUBT a twin turbo 600hp GSF would even need to be priced over $110k if this GSF is mid 80s fully loaded, it can still be cheaper than the comparably equipped E63 and M5 but with even higher hp.

I do think Lexus is building this car like this to keep the price low and see if they can sell more of it while investing less.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-15-15 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-15-15, 09:49 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

What if I tell you Toyota probably consider not to overpower LFA yet and to make GS-F affordable? Though, for a company that makes this much profit, I don't see a reason why they can't build an image shedding car. Those engineers need a new project to work on, how can they spend all their time working on Camry? What a boring job?
Haha.

"Here is your new assignment, the design team for the 2019 Toyota Camry." Walks into corporate bathroom and hangs himself with his skinny tie.

Old 01-15-15, 09:53 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with this... But money talks and I think Lexus feels that the LFA is their image shedding car already. It's a shame because the LFA is unattainable for the vast majority. Would first year GSF owners feel gypped if the refresh GSF has 550hp?
Old 01-15-15, 09:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by obturator
I agree with this... But money talks and I think Lexus feels that the LFA is their image shedding car already. It's a shame because the LFA is unattainable for the vast majority. Would first year GSF owners feel gypped if the refresh GSF has 550hp?
I think this GSF will never be refreshed since the 4GS has only about 3 years left in its cycle when this car is available for sale later this year.

If there will be a next GSF, it will be a totally redesigned 5GSF
Old 01-15-15, 10:04 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Haha.

"Here is your new assignment, the design team for the 2019 Toyota Camry." Walks into corporate bathroom and hangs himself with his skinny tie.

I'm sure Toyota engineers in Japan wear skinny pants.

Or Toyota decide to give green light to 550hp GS-F and call it GS-F-F, because one F isn't enough.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I DOUBT a twin turbo 600hp GSF would even need to be priced over $110k if this GSF is mid 80s fully loaded, it can still be cheaper than the comparably equipped E63 and M5 but with even higher hp.

I do think Lexus is building this car like this to keep the price low and see if they can sell more of it while investing less.
It depends on demand and how they want to priced their product against competitions. If they feel that their product worth premium, they price it high and sales figure will let them know if their pricing works or not. CTS-V is going to be priced competitively against Germans.
Old 01-15-15, 01:26 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I would be incredibly skeptical of your planning and hesitant to spend my money if you introduce a new powertrain 1 yr into my ownership and only charge slightly more. I would understand if this was the last year of production and a new model is coming next year and I choose to still buy this model.
Old 01-15-15, 01:29 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Why would an extra 80 some horsepower cost an extra $40k or so? I can't wrap my head around that figure. Would a turbo, an intercooler, bigger brakes, and perhaps revised transmission cooler, cost an extra $40k? The cost will be incremental at best. Perhaps another $10k added to the price.
Old 01-15-15, 01:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

imagine what the 06 GS300 guys went through when the next year in 2007 they added 58 HP !! They got screwed. I would have been pissed . This is why I say do not jump on the new cars no matter who makes it or what it is.
Old 01-15-15, 01:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

MB had done that with their W220 S55 AMG, first year NA, second year added supercharger to make it significantly more powerful while price did not change much ......

Similarly 3GS300 to 3GS350 ...
Old 01-15-15, 01:45 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Why would an extra 80 some horsepower cost an extra $40k or so? I can't wrap my head around that figure. Would a turbo, an intercooler, bigger brakes, and perhaps revised transmission cooler, cost an extra $40k? The cost will be incremental at best. Perhaps another $10k added to the price.
Because it's not just the incremental cost of the pieces. It's all the R&D and testing needed to make sure that hardware maintains the level of reliability that Lexus is known for

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F