GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 07:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made some of these points in one of the former GS F threads, so I am not going to rehash them here when I'm sure that many will disagree, but...

I think this car will occupy a unique niche in the market, and despite the horsepower deficiency, it will have an audience of buyers and be competitive in it's own right. If you want a high horsepower super saloon, you're not going to buy a GS F over an M5, E63 or XFR-S. Period.

Now that we have that out of the way, there are a lot of other things that make a car "high performance" like handling, steering feel, braking, stability, engine acoustics and most importantly, the overall experience that those things create.

AMG cars are quickly going to AWD because of massive power that overwhelms a RWD chassis. It was confirmed today that the next M5 is going to be AWD. The S6 also drives all four wheels. All three - the Merc, BMW and Audi - are turbocharged. The XFR-S is RWD for now, and supercharged.

What I like about the GS F is that it represents - very sadly - the end of an automotive era. N/A V8s are on their way out the door, and the one Lexus has built for this car and the RC F is an absolutely beautiful piece of work. No turbos, no superchargers - a beautiful, linear power delivery, muscle car acoustics and a willingness to rev without immediate, monstrous power delivery.

If you are a person who likes to drive and appreciates those things, the GS F will be a very special car to you. If you're a person who wants to be the fastest in a straight line or wants horsepower bragging rights to back up your $120k purchase, then the GS F will not be the car for you. There is nothing wrong with either of those and they represent two very different buying philosophies. To be clear, I am NOT saying that the E63 or M5 are bad cars or inferior to the GS F, but the experience behind the wheel will be very different with N/A RWD vs. FI AWD.

The GS platform is one of the best that Lexus has ever created. This chassis, tuned by the F team, and with this engine under the hood should be one of the best drivers cars of our time. Just really depends on what type of driving you like to do...
Old 01-14-15, 08:00 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree totally with the post above. I just want to add :

Some people want a sledgehammer while some want a fine surgical tool. No one is right or wrong in this matter, just a case of different tastes.
Old 01-14-15, 08:16 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ Agree with the above. For me two of the most rewarding cars to drive were the RX-8 and the S2000, both were down on power compared to rivals but they were the most fun to drive because they were a balance of handling, braking, steering feel, and power. They were not the fastest cars I have ever driven on the street or track, but still hold a special place in my heart as fun to drive. I know the GS-F is not a light weight sports car, but in the realm of 4200+ lb 550hp rocket ships it should serve to be a more balanced machine. I don't have $120k+ for an M5 or AMG but can stomach the $75k for a GSF. To me it seems like a logical size upgrade for those of us with IS-Fs that need a bit more room.
Old 01-14-15, 08:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I dont see much point in making an ISF. Now if you want an F model you have two distinct choices a smaller coupe or a larger 4 door. What gap would an ISF be filling being a slightly smaller 4 door?
Old 01-14-15, 08:22 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I dont see much point in making an ISF. Now if you want an F model you have two distinct choices a smaller coupe or a larger 4 door. What gap would an ISF be filling?
I would still love to see an F version on the much improved current IS platform. Even if my family is quickly outgrowing a car of that size.
Old 01-14-15, 08:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I want a GS F coupe because I prefer the shape of the RC F 2-door body but wants the more upscale interior of the GS F, that's the gap I want to get filled
Old 01-14-15, 08:38 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I agree totally with the post above. I just want to add :

Some people want a sledgehammer while some want a fine surgical tool. No one is right or wrong in this matter, just a case of different tastes.
Agree.

There is a big fuss over CTS-V but i'm a skeptic. I don't expect them to put all that power down properly. Z06 is a sports car and as that it is acceptable to be on a wild side but luxury foor door is a completely different game. What I expect them to do is either neuter it and make it a straight line rocket or make it very tail sliding happy which in my opinion is the worst thing to expect from your four door car. I never appreciated skidding four doors cause that is just nonsense, hence I never liked AMG sedans ever. BMW M3 was surgically precise up until last gen and M5 was never good at anything except that beautiful V10 sound in previous gen. I never understood people's obsession with oversteer in anything bigger than S2000 or RX8, even if you can control it to a degree and especially not in pig cars like M5, E55 and yes even Viper. That's not joy that's pure stupidity or compromise because the car lacks proper thrilling attributes. Driving Evos spoiled me a lot and benchmark is set really high when it comes to four doors

If RC-F is any indication then GS-F should be a composed sedan that will not get you in trouble by acting stupid just because you asked for some thrill but rather provide you with the thrill in a balanced manner like proper sporty-luxury sedan should.
Old 01-14-15, 08:44 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
High resolution photos here :

http://www.car-revs-daily.com/2015/01/13/lexus-gsf/

EDIT :

Even higher rez photos here :

http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2016-gs_f/
i cant stop drooling

thanks for the link
Old 01-14-15, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think this car will occupy a unique niche in the market, and despite the horsepower deficiency, it will have an audience of buyers and be competitive in it's own right. If you want a high horsepower super saloon, you're not going to buy a GS F over an M5, E63 or XFR-S. Period.

Now that we have that out of the way, there are a lot of other things that make a car "high performance" like handling, steering feel, braking, stability, engine acoustics and most importantly, the overall experience that those things create.

AMG cars are quickly going to AWD because of massive power that overwhelms a RWD chassis. It was confirmed today that the next M5 is going to be AWD. The S6 also drives all four wheels. All three - the Merc, BMW and Audi - are turbocharged. The XFR-S is RWD for now, and supercharged.

What I like about the GS F is that it represents - very sadly - the end of an automotive era. N/A V8s are on their way out the door, and the one Lexus has built for this car and the RC F is an absolutely beautiful piece of work. No turbos, no superchargers - a beautiful, linear power delivery, muscle car acoustics and a willingness to rev without immediate, monstrous power delivery.

If you are a person who likes to drive and appreciates those things, the GS F will be a very special car to you. If you're a person who wants to be the fastest in a straight line or wants horsepower bragging rights to back up your $120k purchase, then the GS F will not be the car for you. There is nothing wrong with either of those and they represent two very different buying philosophies. To be clear, I am NOT saying that the E63 or M5 are bad cars or inferior to the GS F, but the experience behind the wheel will be very different with N/A RWD vs. FI AWD.

The GS platform is one of the best that Lexus has ever created. This chassis, tuned by the F team, and with this engine under the hood should be one of the best drivers cars of our time. Just really depends on what type of driving you like to do...
/thread

well said, er, typed.

i personally would rather have an na v8 than a turbo anything.

regardless of whether it's 'competitive' anyway, apprently lexus is only bringing 200 to the u.s. so they will be sold almost instantly.
Old 01-14-15, 09:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
/thread

well said, er, typed.

i personally would rather have an na v8 than a turbo anything.

regardless of whether it's 'competitive' anyway, apprently lexus is only bringing 200 to the u.s. so they will be sold almost instantly.
Wrong info by MT, confirmed 1600 units globally the first year at least USA their largest market, especially for a V8 like this only 200 ?
Old 01-14-15, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I see you're in Atlanta. I don't see very many Americans using the term "saloon"........in Britain, of course (and on the Top Gear shows) it is used to signify a traditional sedan, with four doors, a separate trunk, and a fixed, enclosed roof.

Anyhow, I agree with bitkahuna........,a well-written post on your part. I agree that the ongoing demise of the N/A V8 in most vehicles outside of larger work-trucks is a disturbing trend.
Old 01-14-15, 09:51 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say this and its strickly my opinion but the seats in this thing are by far the best and coolest looking when compared to the other offerings it whatever class it is considered to be in. It looks the seats in a freaking rocket ship! Love them!
Old 01-14-15, 09:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I made some of these points in one of the former GS F threads, so I am not going to rehash them here when I'm sure that many will disagree, but...

+1

Hmm we should sticky this
Old 01-14-15, 10:03 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus GS F Looks Good, is Underpowered Compared to Rivals

Click here to view more photos

Lexus officially lifted the veils off the all-new 2016 GS F performance sedan in Detroit and has also released new photos and information – still no acceleration times, though.

As we know from last week’s preview of the car, the GS F sports sedan is powered by a 5.0-liter naturally aspirated V8 producing 467hp (473PS) and 389lb-ft (527Nm) of torque – considerably less than rivals like the BMW M5 (552hp) or the Mercedes E 63 AMG (550hp).

It has to be said though that the Lexus GS F is significantly lighter than both quoted rivals. Tipping the scales at 1,830 kg (4,034 lbs), it is 115 kg (253 lbs) lighter than the BMW M5 and 195 kg (430 lbs) lighter than the E 63 AMG 4Matic. Whether the GS F’s weight advantage can offset the horsepower deficit over its rivals, remains to be seen.

The engine is mated to an 8-speed automatic gearbox with paddle shifters driving the rear wheels through the same Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD) found in the RC F, with three operating modes named Standard, Slalom and Track.

The car features an exclusive suspension system “honed on Japanese circuits such as Fuji Speedway and perfected on the famous Nürburgring Nordschleife” and rides on wide 19-inch forged wheels shod with staggered Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (255/35-19 front, and 275/35-19 rear). The GS F also has an enhanced braking system with 15-inch front rotors that are available with bright orange 6-piston calipers.

Styling wise, the GS F sports an aggressive kit that includes revised bumpers, a rear diffuser with quad exhausts, flared wheel arches, side skirts and a carbon fiber boot lid spoiler. The cabin gets two-tone leather and Alcantara surfaces with front sport seats, carbon trims, a sports steering wheel and added kit.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/201...s-good-is.html
Old 01-14-15, 10:04 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F