GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 12:51 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I have no problem with the RC F V8 being shared with the GS F. The E60 M5 and the M6 for that matter shared a 5.0L V10 and even current M's in higher standing than the 3/4 all use a hopped up 4.4L unit. Benz does it, Audi does it. If the GS F was FI then it'd be a different story. As this is NA it's no surprise that its lower hp and likely price too. The GS F is not a numbers car it is a drivers car. Interwebs need to understand this. Lexus needs to make another ride and drive event to quell the naysayers.
They share the same engine because one is a coupe and the other is a sedan in the same class. Unless the RC is in the same class as the GS and not the IS, your argument is flawed. If I'm wrong, please explain it to me.

Last edited by obturator; 01-12-15 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 01:01 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so i guess i finally got it, the gsf is competing with the m3. maybe topgear is right, and maybe it start to makes more sense to me. i just need to convince myself that the gs350 is competing with 535 but the gsf is competing with the m3.

talking about evolution, i thought the isf engine was derived from the 5.0 used in the ls600hl. didn't really hear that much criticism about that back then.
Ya because it was a new engine back than, today its an old engine. And old engines don't compete to well with new engines.
Old 01-12-15, 01:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
we understand that alright, but just like you can legitimately say the Porsche Cayman is a more fun/better drivers' car than the 911, the 911 turbo etc., had been routinely compared to the Ferrari 328/348/355/360/430 etc, throughout it's history by the media and be very competitive in every way(including price), you cannot put a Porsche Cayman as is in the 911's place and do the same, it's simply is outclassed in the power department, yes some people can still prefer it's driving dynamics, but it's not a legit competitor to those cars ....
Who said legitimate? Wasn't me lol. Regardless of what people think, its refreshing to know the groundwork has been laid for F GS's. This is a great first effort for the GS line and adding depth to F. Clearly the FI V6 and V8 mills are not ready hence this bridge engine and putting it to good use. No problem with that. Hell if it bothers people that much just rebadge to GS500 F-Sport . The Goods are coming, sit back relax and enjoy the ride
Old 01-12-15, 01:19 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Umm GS350 won comparisons over other 6cyl variants which were not that more powerful.
It lost to Caddy CTS Vsport in MT comparo.

The GSF is SIGNIFICANTLY less powerful than M5, E63, RS7 and CTS-V.
It should be better than 550i overall but i doubt it will be faster.
If being faster and having more power is all that matters, then theyre all losing to the charger hellcat. The M5, E63, XFR etc. are SIGNIFICANTLY less powerfull than it. Does that make them unworthy of their badge? Funny that because it doesnt have 500hp+ it now shouldnt compete with those cars. Thankfully Lexus makes the decisions. The power is adequate. 550-600hp is for bragging imo.
Old 01-12-15, 01:25 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TF109B
If being faster and having more power is all that matters, then theyre all losing to the charger hellcat. The M5, E63, XFR etc. are SIGNIFICANTLY less powerfull than it. Does that make them unworthy of their badge? Funny that because it doesnt have 500hp+ it now shouldnt compete with those cars. Thankfully Lexus makes the decisions. The power is adequate. 550-600hp is for bragging imo.
Anyone paying around 100K for a car should have bragging right IMO.
Old 01-12-15, 01:35 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Who said legitimate? Wasn't me lol. Regardless of what people think, its refreshing to know the groundwork has been laid for F GS's. This is a great first effort for the GS line and adding depth to F. Clearly the FI V6 and V8 mills are not ready hence this bridge engine and putting it to good use. No problem with that. Hell if it bothers people that much just rebadge to GS500 F-Sport . The Goods are coming, sit back relax and enjoy the ride
This is how Lexus sees their Flagship competing against the competition, the just lowers expectations of future cars as this is what they think is good enough.

If this was Hyundais answer to the M5 we would all be laughing at how underpowered it is and they aren't close enough to compete with the segment leaders, but this is a Lexus that is no where close to the competition.

Doesn't look like Lexus want to move upmarket at all, and still wants to be a value Luxury brand that is slightly higher than Acura and not in the same level as the Germans
Old 01-12-15, 02:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

so i guess i finally got it, the gsf is competing with the m3. maybe topgear is right, and maybe it start to makes more sense to me. i just need to convince myself that the gs350 is competing with 535 but the gsf is competing with the m3.
i really don't think lexus considers what it's 'competing with' that much. they're extending the gs line-up to have a higher performance model which i expect they believe will add appeal and sales to the whole line.

if lexus REALLY wants to compete with an m5 it will have to drop the LFA v10 in the GS, and yeah it will cost $125-$150 but then we will all go WOW.
Old 01-12-15, 02:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i really don't think lexus considers what it's 'competing with' that much. they're extending the gs line-up to have a higher performance model which i expect they believe will add appeal and sales to the whole line.

if lexus REALLY wants to compete with an m5 it will have to drop the LFA v10 in the GS, and yeah it will cost $125-$150 but then we will all go WOW.
Don't think it will cost that much, even previous M5 has a V10 and it's a $100k car, plus they can go with a larger NA V8 and still keep a fully loaded 500hp+ car just under $100k had they so desired .... but obviously they don't .....
Old 01-12-15, 02:13 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Pretty much doubt the V10 in the LFA will be competitive with 550hp. It takes the LFA 3.7 secs 0-60. Imagine strapping 400 to 500 extra lbs to that engine? Plus I doubt the engine will rev as freely with all that extra mass strapped to it and with most of its torque high up in the RPM. Sure it will sound hella wicked, but its better suited for a much lighter car.
Old 01-12-15, 02:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Ya because it was a new engine back than, today its an old engine. And old engines don't compete to well with new engines.
nop i am not trying to compare it to new engine.

i am saying people keep saying m3/m4 is just the "same" 335/435 engine on steroid. the isf engine was basically the 5.0l from ls600hl on steroid too. talk "new"? the v10 in m5, new, the v10 in lfa, new. the 6.2l amg, i consider that new

keep in mind i am not praising the m4 at all, i am not a big fan of the engine setup fwiw

what makes you think that v10 will work well in the gs? that engine is only 4.8l, it works wonders on a 3200lb car. but on a 4000lb car it might work very different. not to mention its tricky requirement on the engine placement, maybe it makes it not feasible to work on passenger car platform. (i am putting aside the whole "bespoke" part for now)

and the whole competing with part? let's face it. i agree they can say / do whatever they, but sorry the public and press are going to do otherwise. they will compare it to something

lexus said the rcf is all about a car of joy too and m4 not on their radar, i have said about 1000 times before, what car they brought to their own event again? i am interested to find out what cars they bring to their internal gsf training next. hey, maybe they see comments and decide not to bring anything else at all
Old 01-12-15, 02:27 PM
xioix
Racer

nop i am not trying to compare it to new engine.

i am saying people keep saying m3/m4 is just the "same" 335/435 engine on steroid. the isf engine was basically the 5.0l from ls600hl on steroid too. talk "new"? the v10 in m5, new, the v10 in lfa, new. the 6.2l amg, i consider that new

keep in mind i am not praising the m4 at all, i am not a big fan of the engine setup fwiw

what makes you think that v10 will work well in the gs? that engine is only 4.8l, it works wonders on a 3200lb car. but on a 4000lb car it might work very different. not to mention its tricky requirement on the engine placement, maybe it makes it not feasible to work on passenger car platform. (i am putting aside the whole "bespoke" part for now)

and the whole competing with part? let's face it. i agree they can say / do whatever they, but sorry the public and press are going to do otherwise. they will compare it to something

lexus said the rcf is all about a car of joy too and m4 not on their radar, i have said about 1000 times before, what car they brought to their own event again? i am interested to find out what cars they bring to their internal gsf training next. hey, maybe they see comments and decide not to bring anything else at all
They might not even do an event, if we just go off the canceled event in Japan for the RC-F
Old 01-12-15, 02:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
They might not even do an event, if we just go off the canceled event in Japan for the RC-F
i think they clarified that they canceled only part of the event because the audience were covered in other countries.

but the US events still happen just fine. running of the bull was a lexus internal dealer training and related programs and it went from cities to cities.
Old 01-12-15, 02:51 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Its pretty easy to change gear ratio ( and torque on the wheels as well ) with a engine like that, you have 9000 + rpm to play with. The biggest issue however would be the fuel consumption and exhaust regulations for a 2016 car .GS-F v10 would probably be illegal in most countries.
Old 01-12-15, 03:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

another issue is an LFA engine costs 90k at sewell with CL discount

BTW

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/11/1...s-event-japan/

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-12-15 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 03:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This is how Lexus sees their Flagship competing against the competition, the just lowers expectations of future cars as this is what they think is good enough.

If this was Hyundais answer to the M5 we would all be laughing at how underpowered it is and they aren't close enough to compete with the segment leaders, but this is a Lexus that is no where close to the competition.

Doesn't look like Lexus want to move upmarket at all, and still wants to be a value Luxury brand that is slightly higher than Acura and not in the same level as the Germans
Clearly the next generation of powertrains are not ready. Would you rather we wait two more years or so before they come out then release a 'proper' GS F? Or better yet utilize a current platform and latest V8 to good use.

5LS on the horizon, refreshed LX, LC500, higher quality materials as of late.. Lexus is elevating as is Cadillac and Jaguar. Lexus had a current V10 supercar, where's BMW's? A 3-Cylinder I8?

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F