GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 07:21 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just "slapping a turbo" on something is VERY expensive and would've pushed the development of this thing out at least another year or two.
Old 01-09-15, 07:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just "slapping a turbo" on something is VERY expensive and would've pushed the development of this thing out at least another year or two.
The 4GS had already gone thru half it's cycle hence the facelift, might as well wait until the next generation 5GS to make a serious attempt of GS F ...
Old 01-09-15, 07:39 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

To me, the feeling of being let down is there because Lexus did provide an appropriate offering relative to the M4.

By not doing so against the M5, I am keep saying to myself, why can't they attack each segment with the same vigor.
Old 01-09-15, 07:39 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
The 4GS had already gone thru half it's cycle hence the facelift, might as well wait until the next generation 5GS to make a serious attempt of GS F ...
We think alike
Old 01-09-15, 08:06 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Specs are kind of a let down for me. But at least it looks good!
Old 01-09-15, 08:45 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I'm sure 500+ hp from the 5.0 isn't hard. High revving engines is a Yamaha forte. However, its a 2 ton vehicle and the available torque is already at the high end of the RPM range in its current tune and it made it feel slower than it really is even though it had more HP than its competitors, per RC-F reviews. It was the same thing in the IS-F, per Top Gear at least. I do agree it was lazy of Lexus to just drop the same engine into the GS-F as the RC-F especially when the GS will be a a class higher and costs more! At a minimum they could have slapped a small turbo on the thing to give it more low end torque and more HP.
An extra half liter of displacement would have cured these ills and would have none of the maintenance or packaging concerns of "slapping" on a turbo. Does anyone know if this engine block can handle being bored and/or stroked or is it at its max displacement?
Old 01-09-15, 08:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am disappointed that the engine is completely unchanged from the RC F, but more interested in total package driving impressions - handling, acceleration, braking, interior and exterior detailing, engine sound, etc.

I personally estimate we are looking at ~$70k base and ~$82k loaded. I expect it to have some more equipment standard over RC F, but if there is no carbon package and TVD is already standard... those are the two biggest options on RC F.
Old 01-09-15, 08:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I am disappointed that the engine is completely unchanged from the RC F, but more interested in total package driving impressions - handling, acceleration, braking, interior and exterior detailing, engine sound, etc.

I personally estimate we are looking at ~$70k base and ~$82k loaded. I expect it to have some more equipment standard over RC F, but if there is no carbon package and TVD is already standard... those are the two biggest options on RC F.
According to Jeremy Clarkson, the RCF is some sort of understeering pig. A bit of paraphrasing here, but that's the impression I got. Hope the GSF isn't the case, but then with 4 doors and more family oriented, with similar weight, it could be the same.
Old 01-09-15, 08:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I'm sure 500+ hp from the 5.0 isn't hard. ... At a minimum they could have slapped a small turbo on the thing to give it more low end torque and more HP.
Originally Posted by LOWFAST
An extra half liter of displacement would have cured these ills and would have none of the maintenance or packaging concerns of "slapping" on a turbo.
smh. yeah it's not hard and they could just bore out the engine or slap on a small turbo.

this isn't 1 person modding their car, this is making a globally certified vehicle with many party supply chain for parts, testing, etc. it's a hugely complex endeavor, even to change minor parts.

exactly.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
then there would be complaints of where is it, a 5GS-F would likely be 4-5 years away.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
agreed.

I personally estimate we are looking at ~$70k base and ~$82k loaded.
i doubt there will be a 'base'. i estimate it will come almost entirely loaded with maybe 1 or 2 options for $75-80K.
Old 01-09-15, 08:59 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

According to Jeremy Clarkson, the RCF is some sort of understeering pig. A bit of paraphrasing here, but that's the impression I got. Hope the GSF isn't the case, but then with 4 doors and more family oriented, with similar weight, it could be the same.
Haha if you're looking for real driving impressions Jeremy Clarkson isn't your best source. Much of the other magazines, euro included, have mentioned that while it's not the sharpest tool in the shed its very easy to drive fast.
Old 01-09-15, 09:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i've only driven the IS-F (not RC-F) but i found the IS-F to be much LESS satisfying to drive than the IS350 (or even IS250 F-Sport) because the IS-F is so nose heavy. it's immediately noticeable, hence the under steer. but in a straight line the IS-F is obviously quicker.
Old 01-09-15, 09:27 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
smh. yeah it's not hard and they could just bore out the engine or slap on a small turbo.

this isn't 1 person modding their car, this is making a globally certified vehicle with many party supply chain for parts, testing, etc. it's a hugely complex endeavor, even to change minor parts.
You do realize that manufacturers change engine displacement by changes in either bore or stroke all the time, without any other changes to the block, heads, etc. GM LS engines are a perfect example. It really is not as big of a deal as you make it out to be, and unless the block is already at its cylinder dimensional limits it has no affect on reliability. But this is the internet, so you are right and my thoughts on the subject are wrong. Carry on.
Old 01-09-15, 09:49 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm not sure what is worse, rush to deliver the GS-F with the same engine as the RC-F which appears lazy or do it right the first time and come up with something different and better (although obviously not as cost effective).

Also, not sure if it has been discussed but why doesn't Lexus put a DCT in the RC-F and GS-F? Is there some reason for this? Even the TLX has a DCT in it now.
Old 01-09-15, 09:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

then there would be complaints of where is it, a 5GS-F would likely be 4-5 years away..
THey never offically announced there will be a 4GS F , before thispress release, all info are from magazine speculations and photoshops and camouflaged spy pics which could be just a face lifted F-Sport model ... if they plan it well, a 5GS F could come out just half a year after the regular 5 GS launch ...
Old 01-09-15, 09:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Regarding turbos, Ferrari said it best:

"Immediate, predictable response is a requirement in any driver's car. Turbo lag cannot be eliminated."

Sure, you can make a car blast from 0-60, but it's power response during various technical turns does make a difference.

A driver's car is surely different than a dragster's car.

R&T Link

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F