GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 02:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Lexus is always doing their own thing... I think you misunderstood cheif engineer when saying that they did not benchmark directly against M4 - they built RC-F based on what they wanted to do and then compared it to M4. BMW on the other hand, made their own and different decisions. This is why Lexus brings M4 to every dealer training and thats why they will also bring M5 to GS-F trainings.

Same will go for GS-F and M5. M5 will be a lot faster in straights, and GS-F will be a lot nimbler in curves, as well $30k easier on the valet.
great post

but they are following their own path, just like Audi, BMW and MB have all their own differences. That does not mean that you should like it or that you should buy it, just that they all have their differences.
exactly.

Everyone would want AMG V8 turbo in M3 as well, is BMW a failure for following their own path with I6 turbo? Everyone would like GS chassis on M5, is BMW a failure for following their own path?
it goes both ways.
bravo.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
What they said was they were interested in building what their definition of a performance Lexus was. They didn't say they were going to copy what the competition was doing...in fact they said they were not going to do that.
right on.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
They are following in the footsteps of the Germans as usual by copying them.
they are all influenced by one another, but since lexus is basically a non-player in europe pretty much, mb, bmw, audi have enough to do keeping up with eachother, and lexus tends to look for unique niches (perfect for a brand that, despite its giant parent, is not as large as those others).

They finally brought out a turbo 4cyl, years after the Germans had theirs.
If u dont think that turbo 6 and 8cyl are next for Lexus prob when new LS comes out, then I have a bridge to sell you.
lol, well lexus has a challenge there because they obviously have a much bigger hybrid program in place than other brands, and now they're talking about hydrogen fuel cells, and so building very high horsepower turbo v6/v8's will be VERY expensive proposition. probably necessary though, as i think an ls350 turbo of sorts would do very well.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I don't think you can overemphasize how valuable a brand name/logo is to almost any product and every company should cultivate it with the utmost care.
true.

Once you succeeded in planting a respected brand image into the psych of the public, that line of products could benefit from it for decades to come just on that image/ goodwill alone, even if the product itself may not always stand out against the competition.
you mean like l-tuned? and while f-sport has moved forward and expanded, i think putting it on the CTh and RX were flat out ridiculous. and if you look at the actual lexus f-sport accessories, say for the GS, it's a couple of rims, a flat tire kit, and a case for the key. http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/accessories - f-sport is still very light on credibility. even on the f-sport cars, they went 2 steps forward and 1 back, by adding 'sporty' features, and then taking away many luxury features.

oh and, is the is-f done (finished) now there's an rc-f? seems a bit odd.

Originally Posted by gsintensive
Like I've said before, this really should be called GS500 F sport.
if lexus had named this gs-f the gs500 f-sport as many would want here, wouldn't that cause an 'issue' with the rc-f (having the same drivetrain, a bit bigger, but barely any heavier)?

but again, all these discussions and nit-picking don't mean much as toyota is making a load of money with its lexus brand, and is expanding it cautiously and slowly. not a bad plan, and it's working.

We need to stop making excuses for Lexus - they have a ton of $$$$$ and some GREAT engineers but the corporate culture of Toyota is preventing them from being a truly leading luxury automaker.
see above. and mercedes has been at it a century longer.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Turbocharging is not inherently an advanced or even all that sophisticated a technology.
surely you jest. while a turbo can be 'slapped onto' most any engine, to make it reliable, smooth, efficient, is far from easy, especially with emissions regulations, weight restrictions, fuel economy standards, and on and on. it's immensely complex. that's why the new 2.0T for the nx has taken a LONG time to develop.

remember lexus got dinged for not have diesels in europe... now they might end up looking smart because the europeans are finally realizing a 'clean diesel' is an oxymoron.

Dodge spent lots of time and $$$ to develop the Hellcat engine and so did GM with the motor for CTS and ATS and Corvette.
All of those are limited production cars as well.
but those engines are a) derivatives of engines before - in some cases not dramatically different, and b) they will be used across several models. chrysler/dodge for example uses their v6 3.6 and their v8 5.7 'hemi' across a whole bunch of vehicles.

Originally Posted by UDel
There is no way Lexus was going toe to toe with the M5 or E63AMG their first time out with a top end GS. Lexus is still not a direct German competitor and not prestigious enough as a brand to charge around 100K for a mid level sedan no matter how much hp it makes, yes a couple dozen people on CL may buy it who could afford it but the buying pubic is not going to spend that kind of money on a Lexus. The LS is still a notch below the S class, A8, or 7 series, it is a great car but just not at their level or offers what they have offered like 12 cylinders, big V8 power, etc not to mention the top end lower volume cars/engines those German companies have offered that Lexus does not so expecting Lexus to be a direct competitor to the high dollar German power sedans with power, performance, price was a little unrealistic. It is not how Lexus does things.
another excellent post.

There is a F logo on the LFA, I thought you have rode in the car Paul , and many magazines and enthusiasts do regard the LFA as an F model.
yes, i know there's a f logo slapped on the side. but you know full well what i mean that it should be in the name if the BRANDING is to have benefitted from having a model as incredible as the LFA. while some enthusiasts know the lfa has an f logo on it, it's not the same as having it in the model designation.
Old 01-08-15, 02:41 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't really get most of the people disatisfied with the "lower than competitor" numbers. The entire F line has always had less power than their competitors and Lexus has always been proud of that and never saw the necessity to change.

Lexus practiced great restraint with power figures with the LFA which had a seemingly endless R&D budget.

Either Lexus truly believes there is some magical ratio of handling & power to achieve a truly joyful driving experience or there is some mega strategy at play here.
Old 01-08-15, 02:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

you mean like l-tuned? and while f-sport has moved forward and expanded, i think putting it on the CTh and RX were flat out ridiculous. and if you look at the actual lexus f-sport accessories, say for the GS, it's a couple of rims, a flat tire kit, and a case for the key. http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/accessories - f-sport is still very light on credibility. even on the f-sport cars, they went 2 steps forward and 1 back, by adding 'sporty' features, and then taking away many luxury features.
No not at all, I mean actual F cars. They IMO should not hastily introduce another F car at all if they are not ready. This GS will be a fantastic addition to the GS model if it were just marketed as a "regular" Fsport V8, much better than if they just introduce a GS500 with only 416 hp of the ISF and I am sure would have exceeded all expectations.
Old 01-08-15, 02:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by G Star
I don't really get most of the people disatisfied with the "lower than competitor" numbers. The entire F line has always had less power than their competitors and Lexus has always been proud of that and never saw the necessity to change..
Really? the IS F/ RC F has exceeded the hp of the M3/M4 when introduced
Old 01-08-15, 02:53 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish they give it more torque
Old 01-08-15, 02:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I don't really get most of the people disatisfied with the "lower than competitor" numbers. The entire F line has always had less power than their competitors and Lexus has always been proud of that and never saw the necessity to change.

Lexus practiced great restraint with power figures with the LFA which had a seemingly endless R&D budget.

Either Lexus truly believes there is some magical ratio of handling & power to achieve a truly joyful driving experience or there is some mega strategy at play here.
what are you talking about? both the isf and rcf have more power than the m3 and m4
Old 01-08-15, 02:58 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

I may vary on different markets, but in europe IS-F had more power than M3 and Audi RS4, and thats the case with the RC-F as well. Only AMG has stronger engines, but they are a lot more expensive. The problem was never the claimed power, it never perfomed anywhere near the other cars in reality. Lexus GS-F may very well be different in this case.
Old 01-08-15, 02:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

No not at all, I mean actual F cars. They IMO should not hastily introduce another F car at all if they are not ready. This GS will be a fantastic addition to the GS model if it were just marketed as a "regular" Fsport V8, much better than if they just introduce a GS500 with only 416 hp of the ISF and I am sure would have exceeded all expectations.
but once again, GS-F is not just the engine. Do you think that only difference between 528i and M5 is the engine? Or that only difference between GS 350 and GS-F is engine?

As to offering it as GS500, I just checked 550i and people who complain that Lexus will be expensive at $80k - 550i equipped like top end GS350, costs $93k.
Old 01-08-15, 03:06 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

but once again, GS-F is not just the engine. Do you think that only difference between 528i and M5 is the engine? Or that only difference between GS 350 and GS-F is engine?

As to offering it as GS500, I just checked 550i and people who complain that Lexus will be expensive at $80k - 550i equipped like top end GS350, costs $93k.
At this level, it's not just the chassis either, the engine is just as important. You have to be competitive in EVERY aspect. You don't have to lead or even match in every department, but you cannot be too far behind in ANY department AT ALL.

The expectation for this GS is already very low for most from the discussion about rumours of the specs. of this car in the previous thread. Virtually nobody expect it to match the 550+hp of competitors, but I guess very few expect them to do absolutely nothing and just put the EXACT SAME engine as the RC F in it, and that never happens in any of their competitors equivalent classes of cars either, that's the really disappointing part, absolutely no excuse for that IMO ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-08-15 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-08-15, 03:20 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At this level, it's not just the chassis either, the engine is just as important. You have to be competitive in EVERY aspect. You don't have to lead or even match in every department, but you cannot be too far behind in ANY department AT ALL.

The expectation for this GS is already very low for most from the discussion about rumours of the specs. of this car in the previous thread. Virtually nobody expect it to match the 550+hp of competitors, but I guess very few expect them to do absolutely nothing and just put the EXACT SAME engine as the RC F in it, and that never happens in any of their competitors equivalent classes of cars either, that's the really disappointing part, absolutely no excuse for that IMO ...
Bingo!

And the member that thought all previous Fs had lower power than the competition, this just shows how much people know about the F brand. A lot of people probably don't know that the last ISF equal the time of the M3 at the Nurburgring, a testament to how far F has gone in a short period of time. So, to just put the untuned RCF engine in the GSF is simply lazy especially for a long and much anticipated GSF (after Akio stated that more power can be extracted from this engine).
Old 01-08-15, 03:45 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So, is the bottom of the headlight part of the DRL or is that a turn signal ?

Old 01-08-15, 05:13 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
Bingo!

And the member that thought all previous Fs had lower power than the competition, this just shows how much people know about the F brand. A lot of people probably don't know that the last ISF equal the time of the M3 at the Nurburgring, a testament to how far F has gone in a short period of time. So, to just put the untuned RCF engine in the GSF is simply lazy especially for a long and much anticipated GSF (after Akio stated that more power can be extracted from this engine).
That's exactly how I felt, it just seems lazy on Lexus' part to use the same engine. The one good thing is at least it is lighter than most of the competition which could be a big deal. As most have said, pricing this will be key.
Old 01-08-15, 08:27 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
So, is the bottom of the headlight part of the DRL or is that a turn signal ?
It's not a DRL most likely a turn signal.
Old 01-08-15, 08:36 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

When the IS-F came out it had 416 hp 371 lb-ft. M3 414 hp 295 lb-ft. C63 451 hp 443 lb-ft. RS4 420 hp 317 lb-ft. Power figures were extremely close minus the heavier C63 but at least the IS-F was in the ball park. You would have heard complaints if Lexus would have offered the same 389 hp tune from the LS600hL

Many here aren't worried about turbos or superchargers on the GS-F. Lexus really should have been able to pull 500+ hp from that engine.
Old 01-09-15, 07:01 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
When the IS-F came out it had 416 hp 371 lb-ft. M3 414 hp 295 lb-ft. C63 451 hp 443 lb-ft. RS4 420 hp 317 lb-ft. Power figures were extremely close minus the heavier C63 but at least the IS-F was in the ball park. You would have heard complaints if Lexus would have offered the same 389 hp tune from the LS600hL

Many here aren't worried about turbos or superchargers on the GS-F. Lexus really should have been able to pull 500+ hp from that engine.
I'm sure 500+ hp from the 5.0 isn't hard. High revving engines is a Yamaha forte. However, its a 2 ton vehicle and the available torque is already at the high end of the RPM range in its current tune and it made it feel slower than it really is even though it had more HP than its competitors, per RC-F reviews. It was the same thing in the IS-F, per Top Gear at least. I do agree it was lazy of Lexus to just drop the same engine into the GS-F as the RC-F especially when the GS will be a a class higher and costs more! At a minimum they could have slapped a small turbo on the thing to give it more low end torque and more HP.

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F