GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
GM has way many new technology and development. They always fund universities to research new techs. Powerful engine isn't the only thing GM possesses. Magnetic Ride Control? Color HUD? Electric vehicle? On-Star? continuous development in cylinder De-activation? List goes on...

Some of those are not own by GM, but I doubt most of the tech Lexus uses is own by Lexus.
I'm not sure where I ever said that wasn't the case.
Old 01-07-15, 08:47 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Then buy a Dodge. Lexus has spent a lot of money developing aspects of their cars that GM and Chrysler have not, if what checks the boxes for you is the power...buy the power.

What they said was they were interested in building what their definition of a performance Lexus was. They didn't say they were going to copy what the competition was doing...in fact they said they were not going to do that.

They're telling you what they think that definition is, and it clearly includes NA engines with less focus on total power output. Obviously that doesn't appeal to you...but I'm not sure why your opinion is the one thats the most meaningful. Lexus has enough buyers and fans that they don't need to concentrate on capturing buyers from other manufacturers. While I agree they should have increased the output for the GS-F over the RC-F even if it was only slightly, I applaud them for doing it their way. Will it sell? We don't know. We know you won't be a buyer...how many times do we need to hear that?
I'm not sure where I ever said that wasn't the case.
Read the bold*
Old 01-07-15, 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just because Lexus has spent money in areas GM and Chrysler have not doesn't mean that they haven't invested in developing in areas other than power.
Old 01-07-15, 09:06 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Just because Lexus has spent money in areas GM and Chrysler have not doesn't mean that they haven't invested in developing in areas other than power.
Engine reliability may be Toyota's strong suit, but they are still catching up when it comes to technology. What technology that Toyota has and other carmakers don't? I can hardly think of any.
Old 01-07-15, 09:07 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

What they said was they were interested in building what their definition of a performance Lexus was. They didn't say they were going to copy what the competition was doing...in fact they said they were not going to do that.

They're telling you what they think that definition is, and it clearly includes NA engines with less focus on total power output. Obviously that doesn't appeal to you...but I'm not sure why your opinion is the one thats the most meaningful. Lexus has enough buyers and fans that they don't need to concentrate on capturing buyers from other manufacturers. While I agree they should have increased the output for the GS-F over the RC-F even if it was only slightly, I applaud them for doing it their way. Will it sell? We don't know. We know you won't be a buyer...how many times do we need to hear that?
It think its pretty clear that Lexus and Toyota does not have the experience to build engines like the competition. It has nothing to do with the NA engine soultion or supercharged at all. Its pretty simple. Its the same way as BMW or Audis so called "hybrids" are a joke.But I do think that people has a good reason to expect a lot more from the F brand now than 5-6 years ago.

This does actually remind me very much of Audis struggle with the S division the first years, when they simply put in the way too weak 2.3 liter 5 cyl turbo in every car with a stiffer chassi and namned it S2/4/6. But then something happened. Yes, the reliability was not that good for a while (S4/RS4 V6 turbo) , but the result speaks for it self I guess.
Old 01-07-15, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Engine reliability may be Toyota's strong suit, but they are still catching up when it comes to technology. What technology that Toyota has and other carmakers don't? I can hardly think of any.
Reliability, refinement, longevity (reliability and longevity are different), product quality...all things that a Lexus has that I've yet to see to anywhere near the same levels in a GM or Chrysler product (and I also have a very nice Chrysler product)
Old 01-07-15, 09:18 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Reliability, refinement, longevity (reliability and longevity are different), product quality...all things that a Lexus has that I've yet to see to anywhere near the same levels in a GM or Chrysler product (and I also have a very nice Chrysler product)
At cost of what? High priced product? FCA's luxury brand is Maserati, not Chrysler or Jeep. You probably want to compare refinement and quality of a Maserati to a Lexus. Sure. Toyota is one of a few brands leading in reliability. " and longevity?"
Old 01-07-15, 09:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have a $50,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its certainly comparable or more expensive than many Lexus vehicles. Maserati doesn't sell a vehicle cheaper than $70,000. 90% of Lexus sales are below $70,000.

In some ways on the surface the Jeep is even nicer than a Lexus at that same price point, the difference is reliability (clearly) and longevity. What I mean by longevity is how long the car maintains its solidity and "new" feel and appeal. In my experiences Lexus vehicles are very good at this, and even when they have 100k, 150k, 200k miles if they've been well maintained they feel and drive more or less like new. That is NOT the case with either of the Jeep products I've had, my previous 2011 Jeep was fairly loose when I traded it at 45k miles. When I test drove the 2014 I bought it was very clear. When I test drove a 2015 GS...it felt like my 2013 GS...
Old 01-07-15, 09:35 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This is NOT an old engine. Everyone seems to have missed the fact that this is another dual cycle -- ultra-efficient Atkinson cycle at low RPMs and more-powerful Otto cycle at higher RPMs -- engine that no one, not the Germans, not GM, not Fiat-Chrysler, not Ford has, only Toyota.

Everyone is stuck on the idea that to get low fuel consumption with powerful engines, you turbocharge the heck out of a small-displacement engine (which does not give you low consumption / high efficiency in the real world, only in the lab). Toyota is the only automaker to build dual-cycle engines -- high-displacement engines for top-end power but with the more-efficient Atkinson cycle for low-end economy.

The NX 200t turbocharged 4-cyl runs the dual cycle and if you have read, everybody has said that engine has a LOT of potential to grow its power up from the rather average HP it now has.
Old 01-07-15, 09:57 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

I have a $50,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its certainly comparable or more expensive than many Lexus vehicles. Maserati doesn't sell a vehicle cheaper than $70,000. 90% of Lexus sales are below $70,000.

In some ways on the surface the Jeep is even nicer than a Lexus at that same price point, the difference is reliability (clearly) and longevity. What I mean by longevity is how long the car maintains its solidity and "new" feel and appeal. In my experiences Lexus vehicles are very good at this, and even when they have 100k, 150k, 200k miles if they've been well maintained they feel and drive more or less like new. That is NOT the case with either of the Jeep products I've had, my previous 2011 Jeep was fairly loose when I traded it at 45k miles. When I test drove the 2014 I bought it was very clear. When I test drove a 2015 GS...it felt like my 2013 GS...
What's the difference in material between base and loaded car? Load up a car to 50K and have it at base price doesn't change material and quality. It's not like Chrysler has upgrade interior option like Mercedes Benz.
Old 01-07-15, 09:58 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Put that power into context. The Germans and Cadillac (talk about a brand that copies the Germans) achieve it by turbocharging. Turbocharging is not inherently an advanced or even all that sophisticated a technology. You can turbocharge or even twin turbocharge the Lexus 5.0L V8 if you wanted to and get tons of power, and Lexus no doubt has in testing (remember that 600 HP LS-F prototype?). So I don't know why people keep treating forced induction engines as some sort of high end new technology that Lexus is behind the curve in.

Question is: is turbocharging/forced induction right for Lexus? Is the gasoline engine even worth continuing investing in if forced induction has become the most popular route for power/economy?

Is Toyota behind the curve in engine technology because they're not turbocharging? I don't think so. I think they're wrestling with the above questions. Toyota is putting their bet on hybrids and fuel cells, stuff that takes far longer to develop and come to fruition than mere turbocharging of conventional gas engines. They're racing the marathon while others are going for the sprint.

Now the F sub-brand itself also needs to mean something. Is it appropriate to simply copy BMW and MB like Cadillac has done, create a 4300 lb $90k+ sedan with a 550+HP forced induction engine? What would separate "F" from the other sub-brands in such a case, and in an absolutely tiny market segment no less?

Lexus has decided to use naturally aspirated engines as a means to differentiate the sound and feel of their cars from the competition, and this in a sense gives the F sub-brand its own character. An RC-F has an entirely different character than the M4 for example. The blue prints for this were set by the LFA, with its racy NA V10.

Similarly the market segment the GS-F is aimed at is not directly at the M5, E63, CTS-V etc..., and this is smart on Lexus' part. There is more potential in a new segment between the 550i and M5, at around $70k base. The GS-F has more potential for success in this area of the market than it does costing $90k+ and taking the M5 head on. It also gives buyers including yourself more choice. Do you want a 600hp FI sedan? Or will a 460 HP NA sedan for $30k cheaper suffice?

You now have that choice to make, and it's a much more substantial decision than the choice between one $90k FI sedan versus another $90k FI sedan.
The Germans were actually putting out 500+ hp high revving engines a decade ago with the 500-507 hp 5.0 V10 from the similarly weighted (4,090 lbs) last gen M5 and the 507-518 hp 6.2 V8 in the previous E63 and later pre-refreshed current gen E63. They have since moved on.

And no the CTS-V had a SUPERCHARGER not a turbo and this was before the others (minus Audi) had forced induction.

But no one is complaining that the GS-F is natural aspirated. They are complaining about such a low hp figure. I guarantee only a select few would have *****ed and moaned over the GS-F had it had say 525 hp from the same 5.0. It would give the GS-F much higher credibility.

By the way why do you keep lashing out at the CTS-V? It isn't a 4300+ lb, $90k+ 550 hp vehicle. It is 4150 lbs, under $90k with 640 hp.

And with what you just said about the GS-F is that it really should just be named GS500 F-Sport. Why should Lexus build a direct M4 competitor but build a GS-F a half class down?
Old 01-07-15, 09:59 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
See how the GSF stacks up here by the #'s (horsepower per pound and pounds per hp):

GSF 4034 lbs - 467hp = .11 hp/lb or 8.6 lbs/hp

Other Lexus F branded machines..
RCF 3958 lbs - 467hp = .11 hp/lb or 8.4 lbs/hp
2008 ISF 3780 lbs - 416hp = .11 hp/lb or 9.0 lbs/hp
2012 LFA 3263 lbs - 552hp = .16 hp/lb or 5.0 lbs/hp
LFA: 3263/552 = 5.91 lbs/hp

0.91 is a huge difference in power to weight ratio, 5.0 is a seriously high ratio, only the hyper cars have achieved that so far.

Last edited by BNR34; 01-07-15 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-07-15, 10:04 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
What surprises me the most here is that they are likely to have the RCF, GSF and then another ISF based on the 2014 cars.

I would think that the GSF and new ISF would have too much overlap.
AMG have C63 and E63..........and most of the time they have the exact same engine, albeit with a slightly different tune.
Old 01-07-15, 10:04 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I completely disagree with you and can GUARANTEE you all of Lexus regular petrol engines will be turbocharged in the next 5 years.

Making a reliable turbo engine is not simple at all.
We are not talking about aftermarket crap that can blow the motor.
Going turbo is a complete change in design and needs to be developed from the beginning.

The 4cyl turbo is not just an aberration, they took time to develop it and will transfer that R&d to the 6&8 cyl engines.

They are just behind the curve.....
I have nothing to add. This is the exact response I would've typed.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Regarding the GS-F, I prefer that they kept NA, I wish the power was bumped to 500hp for $75k base, I think that's the ultimate sweet spot in terms of power/price for this segment. If the GS-F becomes successful we might see other brands introduce scaled back lower power super sedans at this price point to compete with it.
This isn't a novel approach. Audi already presents a "scaled back" sedan in the form of the S6. Mercedes actually dropped it's normal E63 AMG and E550 because buyers overwhelming chose either the standard E350 or hyped up E63 AMG S-model.

I do agree with you on the pricing/hp output though.
Old 01-07-15, 10:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What's the difference in material between base and loaded car? Load up a car to 50K and have it at base price doesn't change material and quality. It's not like Chrysler has upgrade interior option like Mercedes Benz.
Thats actually not at all true. My GC is an Overland model, it has nappa leather, real wood trim, leather dashboard and door panels, the Summit model above mine gets natura leather seats, alcantara headliner. There are definitely big interior material differences from lower trim GCs and upper trim GCs, I've had both.

The GC Overland and Summit are definitely comparable to a Lexus.

In any event though I'm not talking about material quality, I'm talking about refinement, reliability and longevity.

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F