Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new Ford GT?
I love it; it looks awesome
74.63%
I hate it, its fugly
4.48%
Its just ok / Having mix feelings
20.90%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

New 2017 Ford GT Official Debut

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 09:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that Multimatic Inc. can only build a max of 250 Ford GT cars per year.......so in short, supply and demand principle is in effect.
Old 03-11-15, 03:41 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
People who are forking over a quarter million for a super car care. In general most people who are spending over 250K on a sports car want it to have a unique engine, not a V6 based on what is used in a Ford Taurus or Pickup. Plus the GT40/GT always had a V8, now the engine is being downsized to a V6 in a new version that costs over twice as much as the last V8 one. A car that aggressive/exotic looking and expensive deserves a more exciting unique power plant then a tuned V6 Ecoboost engine. The XJ220 failed in the market because they gave it a V6 instead of the V12 it was supposed to have.
Thank you for typing that for me, I didn't bother

$250K?! A $69k Nissan GTR owner is not happy if their engine is based on the V6 from an Altima.

The Ford GT having a V6 80% similar to a F150 is like a Ferrari F12 having an engine from a Dodge Ram or the Lexus LFA having a V6 from the Tacoma. Some rich folks are dumb, but they aren't THAT dumb. They can tell their $400k sports car sounding the same as their $40k truck.
Old 03-11-15, 05:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Where are you from? The XJ220 didn't fail in the market, at least not in the US because it was never offered here. People on began to import them in the late 2000's under the show and display act.

It 'failed' because Jaguar was expecting up to 350 examples to be made. Only 275 were sold. Of course there were other things going on at the time so the V6 was only a part of the problem.
Old 03-11-15, 08:07 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Time out here

Didn't the last Ford GT have a motor from the F150 Lightning?

The last GT sold great and has a strong follow on market.

Comparing a 600 plus HP mill (think big dollars to get this thing to be a reliable, yet friendly monster) to the 365 HP Taurus SHO mill just because the word ecoboost is sitting on a spec sheet is crazy.

I do think the $400K price point is risky but there are americans who are fed up with the lack of pride in the US car industry (product wise) and can shell out for such a car. A lot of senior execs at big american companies do not buy foreign rides because of the perceptions to their customers and staff. What I am saying here is there is pent up demand for some that combines amazing and american.
Old 03-12-15, 10:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree that the car was a failure. I don't see a problem with not meeting initial production numbers, this in turns makes the vehicle more rare and sometimes can increase its value. The economic recession at the time was one factor that negatively affected XJ220 sales.

As for the v12 vs v6 engine, again, not a big deal in my eyes because the V6 was smaller and lighter and instead of NA power it used turbos which any car enthusiast knows is nice because the turbos can always be upgraded for bigger units = more power. The switch from v12 to v6 allowed for smaller dimensions thus saving weight, another plus in my book. And besides that, the v12 didn't meet emissions laws anyway.

The XJ220 had a reported acceleration time of 3.6 zero to sixty mph, top speed of 217 mph and also held the Nurburgring lap record for EIGHT years. Hardly what I would consider a failure. The only other mainstream cars at the time to have similar performance were the Porsche 959, Ferrari F40 and 288 GTO Evolution. Lamborghini's Diablo was slow in comparison.

So yeah it fell short on some things but I'm still glad that Jaguar brought it to market, it adds variety to the auto landscape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ220
Hammer meet Nail
Old 03-12-15, 12:31 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to point out in regards to the GT "sharing" engine choice with Fords more mundane cars, do you think unsold GT's will be sitting around on showroom floors 2-3 years from now? Prices for the previous gen have steadily increased and dont show any signs of stopping. If I were a bettin' man, I'd put money on these things having a wait list, and every last one will be snatched up pretty quickly. So yeah, Ford might know that some wealthy clients might turn their noses up at a mundane ecoboost motor and pass on it, but they also know there'll be at least 250 other customers who'll plop down the cash.

So since I've discounted the notion that Ford is making a risky decision of this car being a flop by using a 3.5L V6, lets talk about the other ramifications! Let's transport ourselves to 2018... the GT is by now old news. I'm looking at buying a used Ford Taurus with the 3.5L ecoboost engine. Now I'm the kind of guy who loves to modify my cars, and I'm considering this Taurus with aftermarket parts in mind. I'm 100% going to be thinking to myself "ya know, this same motor is capable of 600HP in the GT, wonder what kinda parts I could throw at it myself!" I bet theres a few Lexus owners here who've actually bought a Lexus with a 2JZ-GE engine and figured "ya know... a few years down the road I could slap a turbo on this thing just like the legendary 2JZ-GTE!" It doesn't matter if they actually did it or not, but it's certainly a selling point thinking you could. I say it's a brilliant marketing decision to put the 3.5L V6 in their halo car and show the world and potential buyers of other Ford products what it's capable of.
Old 03-12-15, 12:53 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Another thing to point out in regards to the GT "sharing" engine choice with Fords more mundane cars, do you think unsold GT's will be sitting around on showroom floors 2-3 years from now? Prices for the previous gen have steadily increased and dont show any signs of stopping. If I were a bettin' man, I'd put money on these things having a wait list, and every last one will be snatched up pretty quickly. So yeah, Ford might know that some wealthy clients might turn their noses up at a mundane ecoboost motor and pass on it, but they also know there'll be at least 250 other customers who'll plop down the cash.

So since I've discounted the notion that Ford is making a risky decision of this car being a flop by using a 3.5L V6, lets talk about the other ramifications! Let's transport ourselves to 2018... the GT is by now old news. I'm looking at buying a used Ford Taurus with the 3.5L ecoboost engine. Now I'm the kind of guy who loves to modify my cars, and I'm considering this Taurus with aftermarket parts in mind. I'm 100% going to be thinking to myself "ya know, this same motor is capable of 600HP in the GT, wonder what kinda parts I could throw at it myself!" I bet theres a few Lexus owners here who've actually bought a Lexus with a 2JZ-GE engine and figured "ya know... a few years down the road I could slap a turbo on this thing just like the legendary 2JZ-GTE!" It doesn't matter if they actually did it or not, but it's certainly a selling point thinking you could. I say it's a brilliant marketing decision to put the 3.5L V6 in their halo car and show the world and potential buyers of other Ford products what it's capable of.
This may be true, however it'll likely be an uphill battle until you see Makes like Ferrari drop six cylinders (possibly a similar unit to the TTV6 being used in some Maserati's) into some models. Because until 6 cylinders becomes more widely accepted in the performance world, it'll be called blasphemy for some time still.

I have no problem with it. Ford has been invested in this EcoBoost V6 program for some time now and the return to Le Mans is intriguing. For the sake of the GT being more exclusive I wish they made a special one-off engine like a Coyote EcoBoost 5.0 or a 4.9L paying homage to the MKI GT40's that Won LeMans in '68 and '69, but this car should prove to be quite bad***. Return of the American mid-engine!
Old 03-12-15, 02:29 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Where are you from? The XJ220 didn't fail in the market, at least not in the US because it was never offered here. People on began to import them in the late 2000's under the show and display act.

Times are changing and more people are being conscious of fuel consumption which means auto manufactures are going to explore alternative power sources to aid the combustion engine, just like McLaren has done with the P1, Ferrari with the La Ferrari, and Porsche with their new 918, all of which have a combustion engine and a electric regenerating motor.

I haven't read through this thread and I only skimmed the original post and article, looking at the pictures but that might be the direction Ford is going. Maybe they are looking at using two turbos and a V6 like McLarens 12C, not a bad combo which was also used by the Jag XJ220 which held a top speed record for a while.
I am from the US It is very common knowledge the XJ220's had a major issue with sales and perception when they switched the V12 to a V6, with many customers demanding their deposits back once they found it, it was getting a V6 and not the V12, sales also suffered because of a economic downturn at the time. The XJ220 sold well below expectations and is extremely rare and values of used ones plummeted over the years but have gone back up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ220

Engineering requirements resulted in significant changes to the specification of the XJ220, most notably replacement of the Jaguar V12 engine by a turbocharged V6 engine. The changes to the specification and a collapse in the price of collectible cars brought about by the early 1990s recession resulted in many buyers choosing not to exercise their purchase options. A total of just 275 cars were produced by the time production ended, each with a retail price of £470,000 in 1992.[3][7]

Journalists and other commentators often bemoaned the lack of the Jaguar V12 engine and other technical components fitted to the concept car. Contemporary reviews pondered on whether the sales performance and residual values would have been improved by sticking more closely to the specification of the concept

Sales performance was disappointing. Jaguar had intended to produce up to 350 cars, but production ceased in 1994 with 275 production cars produced, not all of which had been sold; some left-hand drive examples were still available in 1997

Buyers of high dollar exotics back them and even today do not care much about fuel economy, these exotic cars are not their daily drivers or sole car, they have plenty of money for fuel and a more economical car. Given the choice of a unique race bred V8, V10, or V12 or getting better fuel economy with a 6 or 4 cylinder, the vast majority are going to want the bigger engine over fuel economy in their high dollar exotic. Audi decided to drop the V8 in the R8 and make the 10 cylinder the standard engine because they say there was no demand for the smaller lower hp V8.

The McLaren 12C has a V8 turbo, not a V6, even the more affordable upcoming McLaren sport scar is going to use a V8.
Old 04-18-15, 10:55 AM
Hoovey689

Default A little Homage

Gulf-liveried Ford GT40 takes triumphant lap of the track

Old 05-14-15, 11:04 AM
Hoovey689

Default Ford GT spied in the raw

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2017-ford-gt-spy-photos/
Old 05-14-15, 11:21 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

< Sweet presence
Old 05-14-15, 11:22 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is going to be cool no doubt, but Aventador money, seems a bit steep. However, if I were Ford marketing I would do the same, compare the price to an expensive exotic but never give an exact number. Then when it goes on sale undercut that by $100k and everyone will shout "Bargain!" even though you have more than doubled the price of the last gen GT.
Old 05-14-15, 11:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between the previous-gen and the upcoming generation obviously brings in new technology.

Old 05-14-15, 03:52 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The difference between the previous-gen and the upcoming generation obviously brings in new technology.
Just about all those sensors are already in my 05 LS.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-09-15 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-08-15, 09:54 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go behind the scenes at Ford Motor Company and meet the design team responsible for the revolutionary Ford GT supercar, unveiled at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show.

Quick Reply: New 2017 Ford GT Official Debut