Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Styling opinions: Maserati Quattroporte 5 Vs. 2015 Maserati Quattroporte Vs. Ghibli

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-15, 07:35 PM
Gen3Camry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Styling opinions: Maserati Quattroporte 5 Vs. 2015 Maserati Quattroporte Vs. Ghibli

What are some opinions towards the new Maserati Quattroporte vs. the Quattoporte 5?

For me, and I'm assuming many will also feel this way, the new quattroporte is indeed attractive and elegant, but not quite as classically graceful and beautiful as the gen it replaced. I was obsessed with the 5's, to the point where as a 6th grade kid when it first launched, I picked up a $1.00 hotwheel of it that my father got me. Then, some while later, returning to the store, I glimpsed a 1:18 model. And there were some instant cult classic supercars grouped with it, but I knew I wanted that Quattroporte. Its basically the car that started my lifelong obsession of the look of upscale sedans. My dad put off buying it until he surprised me... I don't think he knew how badly I wanted the damn thing.

Here is a stock photo of it. Even now, it sits upon a coffee table shined up with 4 other luxury sedans, a Panamera, a Mercedes S-class, a Chrysler 300C, and a Lexus GS (autoart).

With the new model, I feel like it doesn't quite capture the pivotal pinninfarina styling and grace that the old one seemed to hit dead-on. The new one is still a great looking car, but I almost feel like the Quattroporte 5 was styled so perfectly for a sedan it was somewhat difficult to improve upon. Its almost like they trapped themselves when redesign time came.

However, I feel like the Ghibli more sucesfully modernizes the beauty of the Quattroporte 5.
Old 01-02-15, 06:08 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Last QP was "perfection" from a design perspective. New ones feels like styled to appeal to Asian market (nothing against Asians).
Old 01-02-15, 09:10 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I felt the pre-facelift QP5 started looking dated VERY fast. The new one is undoubtedly going to stay fresh longer, imo. It is indeed less emotional inside and out though while still being very pretty.

Old 01-03-15, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I also felt the previous Quattroporte felt dated very quickly and much prefer the new one.
Old 01-03-15, 12:05 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I'll jump on board and say I do prefer this newer styling as it's more fluid, however the previous Quattroporte certainly has classic lines and class similar to the previous XJ. That charming Italian flair!
Old 01-03-15, 01:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The newest one is the best, but never a fan of any of them ......
Old 01-04-15, 08:36 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new one > the old one

And this is true for the infotainment system:

NEW

OLD

I guess Fiat Group can thank Chrysler for a much more superior infotainment system
Old 01-04-15, 08:56 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

But that was it. Well maybe the engines too, as they have enough power now to be competitive.
Old 01-04-15, 12:36 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Levi68
But that was it. Well maybe the engines too, as they have enough power now to be competitive.
As for the engines back then, I felt that auto journalists and auto enthusiasts should've given Maserati some slack on this. The Gran Turismo was bashed regarding this............save for the MC Stradale/MC Sportline which has higher HP and torque.

I've felt that people were being too harsh against Maserati yet failed to realized that it's really hard to get power from a Naturally-Aspirated engine and they were doing the best they can. It's not a fair fight when it's being compared to rivans with Force Induction motors.

It's kinda similar to what Aston Martin was going through when people said that early V8 Vantage cars lacked power......which I think is unfair criticism
Old 01-04-15, 01:07 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blackraven
As for the engines back then, I felt that auto journalists and auto enthusiasts should've given Maserati some slack on this. The Gran Turismo was bashed regarding this............save for the MC Stradale/MC Sportline which has higher HP and torque.

I've felt that people were being too harsh against Maserati yet failed to realized that it's really hard to get power from a Naturally-Aspirated engine and they were doing the best they can. It's not a fair fight when it's being compared to rivans with Force Induction motors.

It's kinda similar to what Aston Martin was going through when people said that early V8 Vantage cars lacked power......which I think is unfair criticism
I know, that is like all those hating on the Lexus 3.5l V6 engine or 4.6l/5.0l V8.
Old 01-04-15, 07:48 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well they did use "Ferrari derived" when describing their engines in marketing purposes so expectation were quite high, of course you would had to be a tool to believe that it would reflect anything of a Ferrari F430 engine attributes.
Old 01-04-15, 09:52 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 332 Posts

I've spent sometime in a Maserati forum when the new QP came out. Almost universally the members there preferred the styling of the previous QP5. I bit my tongue and didn't say I liked the new one.
Old 01-05-15, 06:52 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That's usually the response when a model is styled to bring in new people to the brand. Coincidentally, QP sales are much higher now with this new model.

For a more extreme example of this happening, see the Jeep Cherokee.