Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

December 2014 Sales

Old 01-05-15, 01:19 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Random note: Dealers are still capacity constrained for Highlanders, 4Runners and Tacomas. Toyota simply cannot meet demand, so numbers on them could actually be even higher.
Old 01-05-15, 01:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
could have been supply limited.
it is of course... next month they are adding another 1000 for the US production, and it will start coming by April I guess.
Old 01-05-15, 02:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Where are you guys getting info regarding supply/capacity? Would be nice to see how it's affecting other manufacturers too.
Old 01-05-15, 02:05 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is coming directly from dealers and distributors. NX is logical reasoning, I would assume, since it's brand new.
Old 01-05-15, 02:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Random note: Dealers are still capacity constrained for Highlanders, 4Runners and Tacomas. Toyota simply cannot meet demand, so numbers on them could actually be even higher.
couple of ways to look at that... could be poor planning as well as high demand. toyota is ultra conservative it seems to me. maybe they're as dumbfounded as everyone why 4runner demand would be high since it has a 5 speed auto, tiny info screen, and drinks gas. but we all know it's so much more than that... rugged looks, smooth drivetrain, very capable off road... maybe since jeep sales are smoking it kinda carries over to those who want a more reliable similar vehicle.
Old 01-05-15, 02:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Where are you guys getting info regarding supply/capacity? Would be nice to see how it's affecting other manufacturers too.
with NX, Lexus USA first set target to 3000 per month, then raised it to 4000 before start of sales... few weeks ago, Japanese newspapers published info about Lexus NX raise of production in January 2015:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...roduction.html
Old 01-05-15, 02:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
couple of ways to look at that... could be poor planning as well as high demand. toyota is ultra conservative it seems to me. maybe they're as dumbfounded as everyone why 4runner demand would be high since it has a 5 speed auto, tiny info screen, and drinks gas. but we all know it's so much more than that... rugged looks, smooth drivetrain, very capable off road... maybe since jeep sales are smoking it kinda carries over to those who want a more reliable similar vehicle.
toyota plans really good... Both Highlander and Tacoma plants are upping their capacity.
Rav4 is also a problem.

It is easy to see what vehicles sell well when you notice part of the supply being from Japan, which is easy from their sales charts that provide NA production.
Old 01-05-15, 02:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

BMW - Wow over 6k X5s sold and almost 20k of the 3/4 series is very impressive.
Also i8 is really HOT car right now with ppl on waiting lists.
i3 and 2 series is not doing that good.

Lexus - Solid #s for IS and GS even LS.
Once RC and NX ramp up watch out.

FRS is still an awesome car but Scion dealers do not negotiate at all on price.
When I got my BRZ and I had to travel over 2 hrs to pick it up and im in NYC.
Inventory is non existent.

I think this FRS/BRZ is misunderstood - its a sports car with not a lot of HP but it is not slow by any means.
Is it a Mustang GT or 370Z in terms of power? No
But unless ur driving 100mph in a straight line or drag racing, it has plenty of power to get u in trouble.
I think most ppl that say its underpowered never really drove the car or are used to driving cars with 400-500hp.
Old 01-05-15, 02:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
8,224 C-class models is a TON.
C numbers pretty much always hover around 6k to 8k per month. Granted the 3/4 series numbers are combined, bmw sold over 19 thousand of them. I thought the C would break 10k units
Old 01-05-15, 03:21 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
C numbers pretty much always hover around 6k to 8k per month. Granted the 3/4 series numbers are combined, bmw sold over 19 thousand of them. I thought the C would break 10k units
Understand, but two things:

1) Average transaction price for the C-class (even with incentives) is/has been higher than the 3/4-series
2) Don't forget BMW absolutely blows out leases on 320i/328i/428i's. It's incredible. Oddly enough Mercedes still can't produce enough CLA's and hasn't been giving much in the way of incentives on them still.
Old 01-05-15, 03:30 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

19000+ 3/4 series is just nuts.

Coupe sales in general are never half as good as their sedan counterparts, but bmw is the exception.
Old 01-05-15, 04:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
FRS is still an awesome car but Scion dealers do not negotiate at all on price.
When I got my BRZ and I had to travel over 2 hrs to pick it up and im in NYC.
Inventory is non existent.
I believe Scion modeled after Saturn with the fixed price business practice
Old 01-05-15, 10:35 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Apparently the NX outsold the BMW X3 2,905 units to 2,795 units and it wasn't even sold for the full month.
Old 01-06-15, 01:18 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

GX sales up 87% and all it took with a strong and aggressive mid-cycle refresh. Lexus should've been doing aggressive refreshes a long time ago but I'm glad they're starting to see the benefits. Mercedes has had the strongest refreshes out of any brand that I've ever seen. Their mid-cycle refreshes just completely changes the car for the better.

Great year for Lexus, I'm proud.
Old 01-06-15, 01:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G Star
GX sales up 87% and all it took with a strong and aggressive mid-cycle refresh. Lexus should've been doing aggressive refreshes a long time ago but I'm glad they're starting to see the benefits. Mercedes has had the strongest refreshes out of any brand that I've ever seen. Their mid-cycle refreshes just completely changes the car for the better.

Great year for Lexus, I'm proud.
well all it took is successful refresh, drop of fuel prices, rise of SUV sales, and lower end model that attracts to the showroom. Refresh itself was not that big (LS was the biggest). Demand for more-premium than RX Lexus SUV is high.

Obviously predator grille is huge success overall.

What to expect from the Next year? 350k Lexus sales? NX and RC will bring 50k extra sales but at the same time, some models have to drop. I dont see how can RX rise more, it had great sales year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: December 2014 Sales