Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 06:51 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The car is definitely a game-changer for Cadillac......and I'm definitely digging that 34 speaker BOSE sound system that this car has.

That being said, this car needs a V8 engine. I mean if Hyundai can put one in a Genesis Sedan then Cadillac should put one as well for this CT6.

I hope they're working on it....
Added weight of 8s, 10s and 12s, expectedly more expense maintenance costs and lower gas mileage are troubles many buyers don't want to incur in this day and age just for the sake of bragging rights. Not to mention, depreciation on those same cars is down-right criminal.

Toyota's 2jz-GTE is LEGENDARY for durability and tuning prowess and so was the 1UZ-FE for reliability and smoothness. Which one is everyone still talking about (FF franchise notwithstanding)?...the one that can do more with less!
Old 04-02-15, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, like with the Lexus spindle-grilles and some other controversial vehicle features, it looks like we've got quite a polarizing vehicle here in the CT6, with sharply divided opinions both ways.
Theres nothing polarizing or controversial about this vehicle at all, thats part of the problem. It takes no chances, it doesn't stand apart in any way.

How could the same people that designed the interiors of the ATS, CTS, XTS & Escalade have designed that?!? Incredible...they managed to make a car that is not at all based on an Impala...look like a warmed over Impala inside! The XTS...which is based on the Impala, looks different and more upscale.

CT6:

Impala:

XTS:

Someone somewhere said the XT6 looks like it could sell with a bench seat...and they're right.

If this is part of what GM is doing with that $12B they say they need to fix Cadillac, they should save their money.
Old 04-02-15, 10:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Theres nothing polarizing or controversial about this vehicle at all, thats part of the problem. It takes no chances, it doesn't stand apart in any way.
I was going by many of the former comments posted here in this thread about the car. Seems like most people either strongly like it or strongly dislike it. (even if, as you say, the car itself isn't controversial).

I'm saving most of any further comments I have for when I've actually seen and (hopefully) driven the car....I don't think one can form a complete opinion about a vehicle entirely on pictures/images.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-15 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The reason people dislike it isn't because its too "out there" thats what you're missing.
Old 04-02-15, 12:01 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Can someone please point out the aspects of the front of the car that they like?

I really like the way they did the ATS but the drooping light arrays in the CTS and this car look lousy to me.
Old 04-02-15, 12:06 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I absolutely love the looks of the CTS. This car looks a bit bland but I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person. It looks a bit slab sided like an Audi (which I also consider pretty bland).

To the poster above... I see no similarity between the impala interior and the CT6.
Old 04-02-15, 12:22 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Can someone please point out the aspects of the front of the car that they like?

I really like the way they did the ATS but the drooping light arrays in the CTS and this car look lousy to me.
Old 04-02-15, 01:54 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup. I like it. Looks reeeeeeal good!
Old 04-02-15, 03:13 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It takes no chances, it doesn't stand apart in any way. y.
While the CT6 may not take many chances in overall design, I think it's because they're happy with their design language. I think the Innovation and Chances are going to be found in the dynamics of the way the vehicle drives with the touted extremely lightweight architecture, and they've been pretty spot on with dynamics lately in the ATS and CTS. Technology also looks to be interesting. They've got that camera rear view mirror (I know Nissan has something similar in Japan) and the semi-autonomous drive mode.

I think it could stand to be a proper flagship for the brand. They just need to avoid the mistakes of the ATS and CTS in terms of pricing it too high right from the start.
Old 04-02-15, 07:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't actually sat in one or driven one yet (I plan to). But, just from the posted images (and other available images), I see little to complain about except for the (IMO) annoying CUE system. Given what Lincoln has just unveiled at the New York auto show, I think it will make a great potential competitor to the Continental Concept. The two cars seem to stress two basically different interior themes......the Continental, vast amounts of chrome, and the CT6, vast amounts of wood-trim....both traditional in classic American flagships.

You can't compare these 2 cars. The CT6 is the "introduction" of this model. The Continental is just a concept--the interior won't end up looking like that.

It's funny you refer to the Caddy interior as "classic American". Is that how Caddy plans to go head on with BMW, Lexus, Audi and MB? By going "classic American" which is one of the reasons that foreign brands took off in the lux market? Caddy's blind adherence to the past, rather than seeing the wave of the future?
Old 04-02-15, 07:48 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pbm317

I think it could stand to be a proper flagship for the brand. They just need to avoid the mistakes of the ATS and CTS in terms of pricing it too high right from the start.
You mean like charging $70k for a 250hp 4-banger version?
Old 04-02-15, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You can't compare these 2 cars. The CT6 is the "introduction" of this model. The Continental is just a concept--the interior won't end up looking like that.

It's funny you refer to the Caddy interior as "classic American". Is that how Caddy plans to go head on with BMW, Lexus, Audi and MB? By going "classic American" which is one of the reasons that foreign brands took off in the lux market? Caddy's blind adherence to the past, rather than seeing the wave of the future?
Asian and German luxury brands didn't take off because of their interiors. They took off because they offered either better build quality, better road manners, or both. And that is now staring to change.
Old 04-02-15, 08:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Asian and German luxury brands didn't take off because of their interiors. They took off because they offered either better build quality, better road manners, or both. And that is now staring to change.
Interiors were part of it. The issue was that german companies had interiors that were too hard and austere, while American companies had interiors that were too soft, poorly made, and ugly. Lexus (and Acura and Infiniti) came along and struck a balance with a posh, luxurious interior that wasn't hard and austere, but had excellent materials and looked and felt modern.

I remember being out with my Dad in 1990 when he shopped for the first LS400. I was a kid, but a huge car nut. He wound up with a 1990 Lincoln Continental that year, but he really wanted that first LS400. His business involved work with several labor unions, and it was a big nono at that time in his industry to drive a foreign made car.

It was very clear, to us the interiors from BMW, MB, Audi had a firm bleakness that wasn't appealing...plus they were insanely expensive. Your Cadillacs were too far the other direction with old styling, lack of things like airbags, really poor quality materials. The Continental that year had a nice interior that felt modern, it was reasonably priced, had dual airbags and it was the winner...but had it not been for the union issue he would have gotten the LS400 then. Even when he got it in 1998 he had to hide it when going to dinner or golf functions with those customers.

We looked at the Cadillac Seville and Eldorado, the Continental, the BMW 5, the MB E, the LS, the Acura Legend, the Q45. The Chrysler Imperial (he was coming out of a 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue). Interiors were a BIG plus on those asian cars.
Old 04-03-15, 05:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, but people don't spend money in this category without style being a big factor. As foreign brands evolved, and actually were on the forefront of style, American brands stuck firmly with excessive chrome, whitewalls, and bench seats. Then they'd offer a "euro" style option with blacked out trim and bucket seats.
Old 04-03-15, 06:57 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Caddy's issue has been pricing ever since the new CTS came out. They are pricing their cars comparably to the intended competition but it doesn't quite have the same cache yet. I think they're willing to take a hit in sales to try and improve their image in the long run and not be always looked at as a cheaper/lesser option. I do hope it succeeds for caddy. If they had a full line up as the Germans, I'd be considering them right now.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)