Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury SUV For Spoiled Sister

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 01:51 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luxury SUV For Spoiled Sister

My sisters 22 years old. She's been married for a year now, and even have a baby (my niece is fkn adorable! But that's a different story), and she wants a new car.

Her husband (then boyfriend), got her her first car, which she currently drives: 2006 Range Rover. I think the car is a POS. He thinks it's a POS also. But my sister likes it.

She's wanting her car to be brand new. She's looking at either a Benz G Wagon or an Escalade. I personally don't like either one, and neither does my brother in law, but that's what she wants.

I'm trying to convince her to get something else, something more reliable and not that costly.

I showed her the Lexus NX; she thinks it's ugly. I showed her the Lexus GX; still feel's the same way.

I showed her the upcoming Audi Q7, but she'd rather have a G Wagon.

I suggested the BMW X5, but she still wants the G Wagon.

I don't know much about the Benz, other then it being very overpriced, and I don't think it's that reliable (can be wrong).

Anyway, what would you suggest for a spoiled girl who's been loving the Range Rover, G Wagon, and Escalade since HS? Personally, I think she just likes these cars cause it's popular among my nationality, and I think she's easily influenced; but that's just me.
Old 12-30-14, 01:58 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you the same nationality as Kim Kardashian?

It sounds like sis is being heavily influenced by Kim and her family of misfits
Old 12-30-14, 02:01 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Lol. I wanted to mention Kim Kardashians, but she claims that she doesn't influence her (I think it did in the past). I mean seriously, there was a time where my sister almost looked like her. o.O

But to answer your question: yes, we're Armenian.
Old 12-30-14, 07:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I'd stay out of it and let her pick what she wants. If you steer her toward something she doesn't like, you are going to get blamed.
Old 12-30-14, 07:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Since money does bot seem to be an issue, it doesn't have to be primarily about expected reliability.

Client just got a new loaded Escalade. It's awesome.
Old 12-30-14, 07:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

She wants a G Wagon.

She's gonna get a G Wagon.

It doesn't matter what you think about its cost or reliability. She's gonna get what she wants. Then she's going to deal with it.
Old 12-30-14, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Happy wife, happy life, or so I've been told
Old 12-30-14, 10:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Happy wife, happy life, or so I've been told
but it's ok, she's not the wife, just sister

seriously, if money is no issue, just get what she wants. there are better battles to fight haha
Old 12-30-14, 10:45 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but it's ok, she's not the wife, just sister

seriously, if money is no issue, just get what she wants. there are better battles to fight haha
For the OP yes. I was referring to his brother in law
Old 12-30-14, 11:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

She's her husband's problem now, just let her gets what she wants
Old 12-30-14, 12:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Cant go wrong with a G-wagen or RR

Who cares about reliability? Haha
Old 12-30-14, 12:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintNexus
2006 Range Rover. I think the car is a POS. He thinks it's a POS also. But my sister likes it.
Well, as comfortable and competent as they are off-road (where few RR owners actually GO), reliability-wise, it probably IS a POS.

I showed her the Lexus NX; she thinks it's ugly. I showed her the Lexus GX; still feel's the same way.
She's got a point. I'm not a big fan of the spindle-grilles myself. And neither one will have the RR's comfort-level. But both, admittedly, will likely be more reliable.

I showed her the upcoming Audi Q7, but she'd rather have a G Wagon.
The G-Wagon is built like a tank. Shut the doors on one and the thunk is just unbelievable. It is essentially a 1980s-vintage Austrian/German military vehicle spruced in nice dress for civilian use.

I suggested the BMW X5, but she still wants the G Wagon.
Once you see how the G-Wagon is built, it's hard to pass it up if you actually have the money for one.

I don't know much about the Benz, other then it being very overpriced, and I don't think it's that reliable (can be wrong).
Again, like I said above, go check out the G-Wagon's construction/materials and you will see at least one reason for its price.

Anyway, what would you suggest for a spoiled girl who's been loving the Range Rover, G Wagon, and Escalade since HS? Personally, I think she just likes these cars cause it's popular among my nationality, and I think she's easily influenced; but that's just me.
I don't know how this might (?) or might not affect either your own relationship with her as your sister or her own relationship with her husband, but, from a common-sense point of view, since she is a new mother, I'd strongly suggest her buying something maybe half of what a new RR/G-Wagon/Escalade would cost and, using the money saved to open up a fund or account for her daughter's future needs (such as medical needs or college tuition). There are PLENTY of nice SUVs on the market that can be had for 40 or 50K (even less) instead of 90-100K or more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 12:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
She's her husband's problem now, just let her gets what she wants
I have to at least partially disagree. It's not just a he-vs.-she marital tug-of-war. They've got a child now, with responsibilities. And they've got to plan for those responsibilities (see my last reply, just above).

For a good example, look at the way SW13GS, our CL colleague, is handling his own situation. He, IMO, is doing it correctly. His wife has twins on the way (due in February), and he is looking at something sensible and suitable for the newly-expanded family that probably won't cost half (maybe one-third) of what a RR does...and will be more reliable.

Originally Posted by Rominl
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Since money does not seem to be an issue,
Money may not be an issue right now, but one cannot necessarily forecast the future. Either way, that child is going to grow up and have needs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-30-14 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 02:50 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just let her get whatever she wants.

/thread
Old 12-30-14, 03:32 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

My 20 years old sister just got a really loaded MB GLA250 for 52K OTD. I was convincing her to get the NX or Mazda CX-5, but nothing went through. About your case, I think she will get what she wants, no matter how much effort you spend convincing her. Let the time of ownership proves that she's wrong.

Last edited by cino; 12-30-14 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Luxury SUV For Spoiled Sister