Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury SUV For Spoiled Sister

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 05:50 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I lol'ed at the thread title.

Lucky for her, the G wagon happens to be a fine choice with excellent resale. I once knew of another spoiled girl who was always crashing hers (DUI), and I'm sure that car saved her life. It's a tank.
Old 12-30-14, 09:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I lol'ed at the thread title.

Lucky for her, the G wagon happens to be a fine choice with excellent resale. I once knew of another spoiled girl who was always crashing hers (DUI), and I'm sure that car saved her life. It's a tank.
for sure, the G is one of the very few cars in the market where values are ridiculously strong
Old 12-31-14, 01:51 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But the G is a fridge to drive :/

Hope she likes it.
Old 12-31-14, 06:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintNexus
My sisters 22 years old. She's been married for a year now, and even have a baby (my niece is fkn adorable! But that's a different story), and she wants a new car.

Her husband (then boyfriend), got her her first car, which she currently drives: 2006 Range Rover. I think the car is a POS. He thinks it's a POS also. But my sister likes it.

She's wanting her car to be brand new. She's looking at either a Benz G Wagon or an Escalade. I personally don't like either one, and neither does my brother in law, but that's what she wants.

I'm trying to convince her to get something else, something more reliable and not that costly.

I showed her the Lexus NX; she thinks it's ugly. I showed her the Lexus GX; still feel's the same way.

I showed her the upcoming Audi Q7, but she'd rather have a G Wagon.

I suggested the BMW X5, but she still wants the G Wagon.

I don't know much about the Benz, other then it being very overpriced, and I don't think it's that reliable (can be wrong).

Anyway, what would you suggest for a spoiled girl who's been loving the Range Rover, G Wagon, and Escalade since HS? Personally, I think she just likes these cars cause it's popular among my nationality, and I think she's easily influenced; but that's just me.
i feel bad for her husband....
Old 12-31-14, 06:45 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
It's a tank.
That is why the Canadian military bought the MB G-Wagen for use in Afghanistan.

I second others' suggestions to let your sister (and other family members) buy what vehicles they want, especially if they are ones to b*tch and complain. No need getting blamed for something they don't like.

My niece bought my 2010 Corolla at lease-end and I willingly sold it to her because I know she is a nice girl who does not complain. I considered selling my last leased vehicle (prior to the Corolla) to my wife's sister-in-law but thought better of it because I did not want to be blamed for everything, including issues that are out of my control (like design issues).
Old 12-31-14, 09:09 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to at least partially disagree. It's not just a he-vs.-she marital tug-of-war. They've got a child now, with responsibilities. And they've got to plan for those responsibilities (see my last reply, just above).

For a good example, look at the way SW13GS, our CL colleague, is handling his own situation. He, IMO, is doing it correctly. His wife has twins on the way (due in February), and he is looking at something sensible and suitable for the newly-expanded family that probably won't cost half (maybe one-third) of what a RR does...and will be more reliable.

Money may not be an issue right now, but one cannot necessarily forecast the future. Either way, that child is going to grow up and have needs.
You do that and you will have ruined this young girls life and desires for all life to come. To her, who has seen the future? Enjoy life today if you can! No point in saving up and using the money to buy luxury when you are too old to even appreciate it.

Oh. Not mention that she will bounce around looking for men who will fulfill her needs. Do you want that to happen? just for a secured (in your mind) financial future?

Last edited by chikoo; 12-31-14 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-31-14, 09:20 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Personally, I'd stay out of it and let her pick what she wants. If you steer her toward something she doesn't like, you are going to get blamed.
In such situations, here is how it works. You have to buy what she wants. You only have to figure out

1. The best deal
2. How you are going to pay for it

The girl(wife/sister/daughter) will enjoy life. You cannot stop that. The men of the house are thus motivated to earn more and better.
Old 12-31-14, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
You do that and you will have ruined this young girls life and desires for all life to come. To her, who has seen the future? Enjoy life today if you can! No point in saving up and using the money to buy luxury when you are too old to even appreciate it.

Oh. Not mention that she will bounce around looking for men who will fulfill her needs. Do you want that to happen? just for a secured (in your mind) financial future?
You don't seem to understand. Spoiled or not, she is now a mother. That means she has responsibilities. Those freewheeling days are over.
Old 12-31-14, 11:50 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't seem to understand. Spoiled or not, she is now a mother. That means she has responsibilities. Those freewheeling days are over.
How do you know how much money they have? And I am guessing you don't have kids but many people right here on these forums have kids, and still have nice cars if not several nice cars, it doesn't make them lesser people.....
Old 12-31-14, 12:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
How do you know how much money they have? And I am guessing you don't have kids but many people right here on these forums have kids, and still have nice cars if not several nice cars, it doesn't make them lesser people.....
First, I'm not necessarily talking in specific dollars and cents, but on a principle (she's still a mother whether she is a princess or a pauper). Second, if they can actually afford a new RR AND save for the baby's future needs, then fine. All I'm saying is that, as parents, they have to put the child's needs first....as my own parents did decades ago.
Old 12-31-14, 12:56 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Doesn't make any difference to her. Securing her needs and those of the families is the mans job.
Old 12-31-14, 01:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You assume at 22 years old, that has sunk in. She wants what she wants--it's not our business why she wants it. She has a husband--he can fight the good fight.
Old 12-31-14, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
You assume at 20, that has sunk in. She wants what she wants--it's not our business why she wants it.
Well, I agree that with advancing age often comes advancing wisdom...up to a point. And I agree that ultimately, it's her decision. But the fact that this thread was posted here in public, and the OP asked for our opinions and advice, makes it, if not our actual business, then at least a topic for discussion.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-31-14 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 02:39 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, as comfortable and competent as they are off-road (where few RR owners actually GO), reliability-wise, it probably IS a POS.

She's got a point. I'm not a big fan of the spindle-grilles myself. And neither one will have the RR's comfort-level. But both, admittedly, will likely be more reliable.

The G-Wagon is built like a tank. Shut the doors on one and the thunk is just unbelievable. It is essentially a 1980s-vintage Austrian/German military vehicle spruced in nice dress for civilian use.

Once you see how the G-Wagon is built, it's hard to pass it up if you actually have the money for one.

Again, like I said above, go check out the G-Wagon's construction/materials and you will see at least one reason for its price.

I don't know how this might (?) or might not affect either your own relationship with her as your sister or her own relationship with her husband, but, from a common-sense point of view, since she is a new mother, I'd strongly suggest her buying something maybe half of what a new RR/G-Wagon/Escalade would cost and, using the money saved to open up a fund or account for her daughter's future needs (such as medical needs or college tuition). There are PLENTY of nice SUVs on the market that can be had for 40 or 50K (even less) instead of 90-100K or more.
I thank and agree with what you said above in bold. The Gelandewagen has always been a dead reliable Daimler automobile and remained that way even with its last redesign in 1990 as the W463 and through the numerous subsequent facelifts since then. It survived the cost-cutting era of Daimler-Benz in the mid-1990s and the DaimlerChrysler era from 1998-2007.

(non-MM response)
It is quite ignorant for anyone to assume because its European/German that unreliability is going to be a factor.

I owned one for 3 years and it was one of the few vehicles in my household to never require unscheduled servicing or dealer visits (other than Lexus RX, Jaguar XJs). Not just anecdotal evidence, but it speaks for itself everywhere in that front. I was quite young also when I got it and only had mine out of very unusual circumstances (originally ordered for paternal uncle), so I do not agree with the idea that because she is young it is necessarily a bad idea. The L494 Range Rover Sport has improved in reliability, so that is not exactly the worst choice either.

Not exactly better than Lexus, but the motoring experience is certainly going to be different and some will not be swayed from that to a GX (aging), RX (aging), nor NX. The Escalade, I have no words for and view it neutrally.
Old 12-31-14, 10:32 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

As I see it, the OP asked us all to choose between one of three SUVs for his spoiled rotten little sister: the G wagon, RR, or Escalade. He did not ask us how to convince her to buy something else as he has been unsuccessful in his attempts, or how she should live her life.

Live and let live. And drive.

Quick Reply: Luxury SUV For Spoiled Sister