Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Newbie member- owner of 1992 Gen 3 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 03:43 PM
Gen3Camry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie member- owner of 1992 Gen 3 Camry

Hi all
I am a regular member of Toyotanation,com and Camry Nation. I've read alot of threads on here, and thought I'd join. Okay, to be fair, I don't technically own a badged Lexus, its a 1992 Toyota Camry. But I think the significance is gen 3. The car is built to those amazing Lexus standards, and has many carry over components such as hydraulic cooling fans, fluid filled engine mounts, and special asphalt composite resin sound insulation.

In high school, I liked my car... kinda a junker that I recieved as a gift. That all changed when I stumbled upon a book in the library, which led me to a very significant book: "Car: a Drama of the American Workplace". I started researching and realizing how brilliantly engineered this vehicle is... everything from its more complex body stamping to create the one piece roof and c-pillar compound curve to amazing paint finish, ultra-tight tolerances, and ridiculous over-engineering for a midsize sedan.

I have an extreme obsession for luxury sedans. This may sound nerdy but I regard my Gen 3 Camry as high end in engineering sophistication and design elegance as most executive icons... Namely, the 1989 Lexus LS400 which I adore, which revolutionized the industry along with the Gen 3 Camry which was very influenced from the LS400.

I am studying mechanical engineering at Colorado State University. I am a senior currently on a 5 year program. I chose the school initially because I happened to live in Fort Collins. But man was I in for a surprise. The University is unbelievably underrated as I found out. It apparently houses what is regarded as one of the world's most advanced, and extensive engine development facilities in the world. Its called the Engines and Energy Conversion Lab. It was 40,000 square feet, with as much research resources as MIT's engines lab. Then CSU goes ahead and expands it into a 100,000 square foot super-wal mart sized facility, now known as the CSU Powerhouse institute. It has caused woodward governor to relocate a massive world headquarters nearby. Long story short, I am a car nerd in heaven and I applied to CSU based on convienence and affortability. there are currently 25 engine companies including woodward, cummins, John Deere, Catapillar, and more working out of the powerhouse institute.

For me, as an aspiring engineer, I view my 1992 Camry as an icon of setting new standards in excellence and revolutionizing and influencing an entire industry. I hope to have some conversations about some of the world's most fantastic autos... from the original SC300, to the GS, the ES, and the LS. The standards that Lexus has set are truley remarkable.
Old 12-29-14, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL as a new poster.

You have what IMO is the best-generation Camry ever produced (1992-96) ....and I've been reviewing Camrys for years. Its somewhat dull-looking interior may lack today's imitation wood-tone paneling and brushed-chrome, but the car, in general, was more refined, smoother-riding, and built more solidly, with heavier materials, than Camrys ever since. It drove, IMO, like a mid-sized luxury car, at a family-car price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-14 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 04:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

3rd Gen Camry looks better than any of the current midsize sedans IMO. (Current Camry is just hideous even after the refresh.)
I still see a ton of them on the road.
Old 12-29-14, 04:38 PM
Gen3Camry
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I've actually read some of your comments in other posts awhile ago which partially led me to join. Its not an exhilarating car. It doesn't pull anything like my Friend's WRX. But man, if you wanna compare build quality, forget about it. The interior is attractive, but its just one color entirely and black, so its pretty dull. The car has a very understated look... which I actually prefer. I love the sleek slender body. Its a very elegant look. Quite conservative, yes, but its so much less stout than modern sedans. I've parked next to modern camrys, which literally tower over mine in height. I've also read in previous threads about this gen having substantially thick sheet metal. In my experience this seems true. Only downside of having such solidly built parts on the car is poor gas mileage. My friend was saying he had a friend who was growing upset at the 18MPG city that his V6 model presented... somethings gotta give for being built like an anvil lol.

Sorta a frustrating car to own in the sense that alot of people think POS when you say you own and adore a 1992 Camry then you see them get in some car you know is built to much lower standards. Its almost ironic in the innocent ignorance. I even had a guy tell me "But at the end of the day, its STILL a 1992 camry!".
Old 12-29-14, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gen3Camry
Thanks! I've actually read some of your comments in other posts awhile ago which partially led me to join.
Yes...I've had a high opinion of the 3Gen Camry for years. I almost bought one, although, at the time, I was enamored with the looks of the 6Gen Celica (the one with the four large round headlights) and got one of those band-new instead.

Its not an exhilarating car. It doesn't pull anything like my friend's WRX.
Two different cars......two different objectives. The WRX always was, and still is, an AWD pocket-rocket, not a refined family sedan.

Good luck in your university studies, BTW. The auto companies need good well-trained engineers.
Old 12-30-14, 03:11 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome to CL.

There's definitely no requirement here that you be a Lexus owner. I killed my LS400(a 92, same year as your Camry) just over a year ago and now own a Ford Fusion.....so you're probably more closely qualified to be on this site than I am, lol.

Don't be too disappointed with 18 mpg in the city. I don't think that's too bad for anything bigger than a compact...especially as old as the 3rd gen Camry. That's about what my Fusion averages(sometimes 20 if I'm good to it) around Las Vegas. Beats the hell out of the 10 mpg my LS got

My uncle drives a 3rd gen Camry and it looks to be in really good shape.
Old 12-30-14, 03:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Welcome, and 3rd gen camry is a gem for sure!
Old 12-31-14, 05:48 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi all
I am a regular member of Toyotanation,com and Camry Nation. I've read alot of threads on here, and thought I'd join. Okay, to be fair, I don't technically own a badged Lexus, its a 1992 Toyota Camry. But I think the significance is gen 3. The car is built to those amazing Lexus standards, and has many carry over components such as hydraulic cooling fans, fluid filled engine mounts, and special asphalt composite resin sound insulation.

In high school, I liked my car... kinda a junker that I recieved as a gift. That all changed when I stumbled upon a book in the library, which led me to a very significant book: "Car: a Drama of the American Workplace". I started researching and realizing how brilliantly engineered this vehicle is... everything from its more complex body stamping to create the one piece roof and c-pillar compound curve to amazing paint finish, ultra-tight tolerances, and ridiculous over-engineering for a midsize sedan.

I have an extreme obsession for luxury sedans. This may sound nerdy but I regard my Gen 3 Camry as high end in engineering sophistication and design elegance as most executive icons... Namely, the 1989 Lexus LS400 which I adore, which revolutionized the industry along with the Gen 3 Camry which was very influenced from the LS400.

I am studying mechanical engineering at Colorado State University. I am a senior currently on a 5 year program. I chose the school initially because I happened to live in Fort Collins. But man was I in for a surprise. The University is unbelievably underrated as I found out. It apparently houses what is regarded as one of the world's most advanced, and extensive engine development facilities in the world. Its called the Engines and Energy Conversion Lab. It was 40,000 square feet, with as much research resources as MIT's engines lab. Then CSU goes ahead and expands it into a 100,000 square foot super-wal mart sized facility, now known as the CSU Powerhouse institute. It has caused woodward governor to relocate a massive world headquarters nearby. Long story short, I am a car nerd in heaven and I applied to CSU based on convienence and affortability. there are currently 25 engine companies including woodward, cummins, John Deere, Catapillar, and more working out of the powerhouse institute.

For me, as an aspiring engineer, I view my 1992 Camry as an icon of setting new standards in excellence and revolutionizing and influencing an entire industry. I hope to have some conversations about some of the world's most fantastic autos... from the original SC300, to the GS, the ES, and the LS. The standards that Lexus has set are truley remarkable.
Oh yes, it was very brilliantly engineered. Toyota benefited from Japan's economic bubble in the 1980's, as the V30 Camry was developed between 1986 and 1990 (styling selection in early 1988), with the wider XV10 version being developed from early 1989 (till spring 1991) as a result of Toyota USA requests.

The final result of the XV10 signed-off in late 1989 and launched in October 1991 as a 1992 model (wagon in early 1992), was an amazement. The US big 3 went crazy, especially Ford in developing the 1996 Ford Taurus (Camry was introduced in late 1991, just months before '96 Taurus design sign-off in 1992 and as '92 Taurus was launched).

Cues borrowed from the then-new LS400 (styling signed-off May 1987), SC/Soarer (1989 styling sign-off), and components from the parallel ES300/Windom development (1989 sign-off). In the vision of the LS400, but with FWD and for the middle-class.

Unfortunately, when the Japanese economy tumbled in the early 1990s, the XV20 (Gen 4) had already gone into development at the end of 1991. So did the Gen 3 facelift.

By August 1993, styling of the 1997 Camry (Gen 4) had reached this point at 36 months ahead of 1996 production commencement. The Gen 3 facelift months earlier in 1993 and in my opinion, was much more bland. I prefer the MY1992-1994 version and feel the best one is MY1994 (because of std. dual airbags added from 8/1993 production).

It was a serious downgrade from the trendsetting goodness that was the 3rd Generation Camry, despite taking so long to develop. Likely because of the US gov't tariff threats in 1995 and also better differentiation from the 1997 ES300. It actually wasn't until the late 1990s/early 2000s, that Toyota and the big Japanese 3 started investing and depending heavily on "virtual development" that took less time and allowed for actual screw-ups.

The 5th Generation Camry (2002 model year) took even 10 months less than the 4th generation at 26 months from design approval in spring 1999 to start of production in 2001. I grew up with that 3rd generation model, as I knew many people that had them as a kid. As someone who studied mechanical engineering, I am proud of and greatly support you. Wish you very well.
Old 12-31-14, 09:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah so as our parents "hand me downs" back about 13-14 years ago I received a 1991 Buick Regal and my friend got a 1992 Toyota Camry. Just as a brief comparison, the Buick had the big 3.8 V6 while the Camry had a 4 banger/automatic combo. Needless to say the Buick was significantly faster.

From a design standpoint, looking back on things, I will give the Camry credit for having a much more modern look about the exterior and especially the interior design. While my old Buick had a a stupid digital speedo and not much else for gagues, the Camry had a nice full instrument display, bucket seats, floor shift, while the Buick was a bench with a column shift. The quality was a bit nicer on the plastics in the Camry, but the Buick had those awesome crushed velour seats, plus it was pretty damn well sound proofed.

Overall, the Buick wasn't a bad car, but it started to fall apart when I got it at about 150k+ miles(actual mileage was unknown, as the odometer broke about 3-4 years earlier at 94k). I know my friends Camry never gave him a lick of trouble, despite the odometer reading 200k+
Old 01-01-15, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah so as our parents "hand me downs" back about 13-14 years ago I received a 1991 Buick Regal and my friend got a 1992 Toyota Camry. Just as a brief comparison, the Buick had the big 3.8 V6 while the Camry had a 4 banger/automatic combo. Needless to say the Buick was significantly faster.

From a design standpoint, looking back on things, I will give the Camry credit for having a much more modern look about the exterior and especially the interior design. While my old Buick had a a stupid digital speedo and not much else for gagues, the Camry had a nice full instrument display, bucket seats, floor shift, while the Buick was a bench with a column shift. The quality was a bit nicer on the plastics in the Camry, but the Buick had those awesome crushed velour seats, plus it was pretty damn well sound proofed.

Overall, the Buick wasn't a bad car, but it started to fall apart when I got it at about 150k+ miles(actual mileage was unknown, as the odometer broke about 3-4 years earlier at 94k). I know my friends Camry never gave him a lick of trouble, despite the odometer reading 200k+
Also, Aron, consider that your 90s-vintage Regal, despite having the typical (for the period) El-Cheapo GM plastic interior, according to Consumer Reports, had a better-than-average reliability record for an American-nameplate car. I agree with you on the velour seats, BTW....I liked them, too, but automakers just don't use them anymore. Leather and fake leather seem to be the hot materials now. And, admittedly, one of the fake leathers (the Lexus NuLuxe) itself is superb. :thumb up:

A 3Gen Camry, BTW, going 200K miles without major problems is not unusual at all. I've known several people with them, and a lady I dated many years ago still has one.
Old 01-01-15, 09:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

It's quite unbelievable that the current Camry can't come close to matching the generation 3 car in quality and reliability. The current gen is half the car honestly, not terrible but it absolutely does not have the supreme attention to detail. And by that I mean every component no matter how large or small was designed to be a lifetime part. Of course things do break nothing is perfect, but striving for perfection makes the car as reliable as possible. And it's not just that the car is reliable, it also drives incredibly well, smooth, quiet, refined. It honestly gives up very little to any car in the same price bracket today.

To get the same class of quality in a Toyota currently you have to buy on the high end, something like a Land Cruiser. Or go over to Lexus.
Old 01-01-15, 09:34 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Hi all
I am a regular member of Toyotanation,com and Camry Nation. I've read alot of threads on here, and thought I'd join.

I have an extreme obsession for luxury sedans.
Welcome to CL!

That second statement alone qualifies you.
Old 01-01-15, 07:06 PM
Gen3Camry
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the warm and positive responses all!

I think new Camrys look decent from a "skin-deep" superficial perspective... I'd really like to ride in one and see the difference. I've actually only been inside Gen 2,3 and 4. I think also possibly a Gen 5 as a very young kid, a friend's mom had one. But at the time I was completely oblivious to build quality and paid no attention to the normal cars I was riding in.

CMK1- Thanks for the description. Its something new and interesting as I often try to research and obtain new factoids and artifacts about the development of the car. Much appreciated! May I asked how you knew all this? Do you work in the industry somehow? Just curious.

Here is a picture of mine as is... well, taken over the latest summer.

Last edited by Gen3Camry; 01-01-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-02-15, 07:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Looks pretty good, at least on the outside, for something 23 years old.

BTW, in many states, if you keep it two more years, you can get free or reduced-cost Antique Vehicle license plates. Antique vehicles are usually considered those 25 years or older.

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-02-15, 08:00 AM
Gen3Camry
Driver School Candidate

Additionally, can anyone with experience confirm my idea that the sheet metal on gen 3s is quite thick, relative not only to prior and especially newer Camrys, but also modern cars in general? This is simply something I've been long wondering. But I'm not planning to find out with my fist or a bat LOL.

I believe I read on an old Club Lexus forum about how starting with Gen 4 sheet metal got thinner and thinner with each successive redesign. I think new Imprezas and Subarus in general have insanley thin sheet metal especially after my friend's brother's pig-nose Impreza was caught in an unusual golf-ball sized hail storm, and the metal was simply ravaged. But its like Mmarshall said, its objective is speed while delivering decent fuel economy, rather than uber-solid and luxurious build quality.

Quick Reply: Newbie member- owner of 1992 Gen 3 Camry