RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it keeps GR block
If that is verified, then good. One of my concerns with the new RX is that it would dump the V6 for a turbo-4 between 2.0 and 2.5L like so many other vehicles are nowadays. The 3.5L may have been a dated design, but I liked it. At least it's being replaced with a V6, like with the new MKX coming later this year from Lincoln.
Old 03-30-15, 05:14 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to this, maybe we will get pictures today? I remember 8 years ago, we got pictures of the LX 570 before it was unveiled at the 07 NY Motor Show, it started out as one pic but more info and pics came out...so hopefully a pic will show up today or tomorrow.
Old 03-30-15, 06:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If that is verified, then good. One of my concerns with the new RX is that it would dump the V6 for a turbo-4 between 2.0 and 2.5L like so many other vehicles are nowadays. The 3.5L may have been a dated design, but I liked it. At least it's being replaced with a V6, like with the new MKX coming later this year from Lincoln.
new V6 should be really nice and high tech, they crammed everything possible into it, as far as we know... I think Europe and Asia will get 2.0t for lower taxes/emissions reasons - at least I hope so.

only real complete unknown is that we dont know if 450h will have 4th generation hybrid system or not. It already gets pretty good mpg as it is, heck many people report similar mpg to NX300h which is lighter plus has much smaller engine/power.
Old 03-30-15, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

new V6 should be really nice and high tech, they crammed everything possible into it, as far as we know... I think Europe and Asia will get 2.0t for lower taxes/emissions reasons - at least I hope so.

only real complete unknown is that we dont know if 450h will have 4th generation hybrid system or not. It already gets pretty good mpg as it is, heck many people report similar mpg to NX300h which is lighter plus has much smaller engine/power.
Seems to me that if Lexus really wanted to sell in Europe, they would be more open to diesels, which get a lot of tax advantages there.
Old 03-30-15, 07:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Seems to me that if Lexus really wanted to sell in Europe, they would be more open to diesels, which get a lot of tax advantages there.
Diesels dont get tax advantage... low fuel consumption does... so that would be 300h? Lets see. If they manage to improve on RX450h, that would be good too... it already has good CO2 rating, if they could improve it by 10% it would be like a miracle (i doubt it).
Old 03-30-15, 07:32 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spwolf, how do you know so much information? You have said you don't work for Lexus/toyota anymore..
Old 03-30-15, 07:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Spwolf, how do you know so much information? You have said you don't work for Lexus/toyota anymore..
engine info and size have been leaked in asian car magazine (thailand) few months back... considering that Tacoma is getting new V6 with all these features (Toyota announced it last month but without numbers), fat chance that RX wont.
Old 03-30-15, 08:08 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

VVT-iW, D4-S & Otto/Atkinson are most likely updates
Circa 300hp

But Toyota is a conservative company that usually updates & enhances their powertrains without notice or brags.
Old 03-31-15, 06:17 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Some more pics -

Damn that stance looks pretty good :P

Old 03-31-15, 06:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

What time is the RX suppose to be unveiled?
Old 03-31-15, 06:56 AM
Ayberk
Driver School Candidate

I agree about the diesels but not because of taxation since diesel engines don't really have taxation advantages. But the general public is actually pretty suspicious about hybrids regarding their highway fuel consumption. Every test I have read so far always mentioned this problem and people don't want to buy a car if it means they'll be consuming so much fuel on highway. Hybrid is great for city or between towns but I can at least say for Germany that there is a big amount of highway driving being done daily and in this field hybrids don't fare so well. This just limits the appeal of Lexus models.

Plus don't forget that big gasoline engines are only selling well in Eastern Europe or Russia. In Western Europe you can find gasoline engines mostly in small cars.
Old 03-31-15, 07:23 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

new engine will be introduced now, there is no wait... it keeps GR block and changes everything else. Just like they did with their KR, NR, ZR, AR and UR engine series so far in past 4-5 months.

So expect 10% better hp/torque throughout the rev range, not just at top, plus 10-15% better mpg in real life (for 350).
Arent all these engines just stop gaps until the turbo units are ready? I hope that's true at least.
Old 03-31-15, 07:33 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ayberk
But the general public is actually pretty suspicious about hybrids regarding their highway fuel consumption. Every test I have read so far always mentioned this problem and people don't want to buy a car if it means they'll be consuming so much fuel on highway. Hybrid is great for city or between towns but I can at least say for Germany that there is a big amount of highway driving being done daily and in this field hybrids don't fare so well. This just limits the appeal of Lexus models.
Yes this myth still lives in European countries. I have done many roads trips during my life and have driven together with friends across whole europe. They diesel cars did never got lower consumption than my CT 200/ IS300h based on 5000 km driving. Ok , they are faster and have higher top speed, but who cares, there is a "stau" in every corner anyway. Last summer It took us 23 h to get from Rostock to Wienna and even CT works perfectly up to 130-40 km/h.

Tests based on 2-3 days is one thing, living and driving a car every day is another thing. Lexus hybrids has won many long term tests when it comes to averge consumption over 3-4 months. Lexus should really make that clear in commercials and so on.
Old 03-31-15, 07:35 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
What time is the RX suppose to be unveiled?
The press release said 9:10AM ET on 4/1
Old 03-31-15, 07:40 AM
Ayberk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Yes this myth still lives in European countries. I have done many roads trips during my life and have driven together with friends across whole europe. They diesel cars did never got lower consumption than my CT 200/ IS300h based on 5000 km driving. Ok , they are faster and have higher top speed, but who cares, there is a "stau" in every corner anyway. Last summer It took us 23 h to get from Rostock to Wienna and even CT works perfectly up to 130-40 km/h.

Tests based on 2-3 days is one thing, living and driving a car every day is another thing. Lexus hybrids has won many long term tests when it comes to averge consumption over 3-4 months. Lexus should really make that clear in commercials and so on.
Yes but if people have a 200 HP car they want to drive it with 200+ km/h. I can drive 130-140 km/h with a 80 HP VW Polo and still get a 6 L/100 km consumption or better. And stau maybe often but it is mostly concentrated around some industry centres to most part you are free to drive as fast as you can. I seriously don't think this is a myth but it doesn't even matter. For most people hybrids can be a great solution but what matters is Lexus limiting their potential with not offering any diesel engines.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)