RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Old 03-24-15, 10:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
This discussion of a 3 row crossover is missing the elephant in the room: Acura's MDX. If Lexus doesn't offer a 3 row crossover, the MDX would be my pick.
My issue with the MDX is that the third row is not usable for adults. Its very tight. The QX60/Pathfinder has a very usable for adults third row, as does the Highlander, and the GM Crossovers (Traverse/Acadia/Enclave) do as well.

I need a vehicle with a third row that adults can sit in.
Old 03-24-15, 10:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Hell, my GX has 3rd row seats, but they're for children/small adults only and impossible to get back there. Complete waste of effort.
Yep. It was a big let down for me (an ex-GX470 owner). It lost an extra seat and storage space was still pathetic.

You can't carry worth of crap when that 3rd row seat is down.

And the best you can do in an RX (If it has a 3rd row) is get a couple of pizza
and for the GX460, 3 grocery bags. YOu can't even bring strollers with you without having to squish them when folded.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Not sure why you would want a 3rd row unless you're hauling 7 passengers around all the time. Most RX owners are content with having just 5 seats (which is why they bought one in the first place). I much rather have more cargo room than 2 extra seats I'll never use.
Yep, lexus is leaving the RX alone as they should.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I still have my $60,000 waiting to purchase a Lexus 3 row crossover. They need one, whether its the RX or something else.

As someone with two kids now, I won't be purchasing a family vehicle with 2 rows for the next 18 years or so. I want the flexibility of being able to take my family AND my parents or inlaws, or other family or friends with us somewhere. I have one now, two car seats, us, and a stroller...its too small for us all to be comfortable and have the stuff we need, and doesn't have the capacity for us to bring others with us.

Lots of people want that flexibility which is why this market exists. Lexus is missing the boat huge by not having a vehicle that competes here.
I hope this is where the tx will come in to compete with the qx60.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You can't drive everybody on a trip, but you can go out to dinner...or to the mall, or to the zoo...

We have a big double stroller, and it would fit behind the third row in a QX60 no problem, along with a couple bags.

You're ignoring the fact that these vehicles sell very well. Lexus doesn't have to guess whether or not it would sell...basically all their competitors offer such a vehicle and they sell well.
Originally Posted by J.P.
Thing is these small 3rd row SUV\CUV's seem useless if you want to bring the grand parents but also have kids so small that you need a stroller or double stroller. If you need to take a bag or two, stroller, all the stuff you need to keep babies alive and happy, a RX with 3 rows won't get it done.

That is why I keep coming back to a Yukon or something of similar size.
Yep, Lexus had nothing to offer in this category for me so I dumped the GX and opted for a sienna instead
Don't need to tow or awd.
Old 03-24-15, 11:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't the 5-passenger RX outsell the 7-passenger GX, X5, Q7, and GL combined?
Old 03-24-15, 11:31 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Comes close, but not quite, at least in terms of pure sales volume. In terms of revenue, The 3 rows obviously bring in a lot more with their higher price points.
Old 03-24-15, 01:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Comparing the RX to those vehicles isn't fair, they are all significantly more expensive than the RX.

Nobody is saying that the RX isn't a compelling package that sells very well. We're saying there is also a big market here that is unserved in addition to that RX market.

Whether its the RX, an RXL, or a TX or whatever, Lexus needs a 3 row crossover. They could easily do 3-4k units a month in 3 row, would take some RX sales but not many. The QX60 sells 3k units a month even with Infiniti's limited dealer network and appeal.
Old 03-25-15, 06:51 AM
SkinsFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly a week from today we will be able to turn all the RX rumors into reality with its unveiling. April 1 is what I had on my calendar. Didn't Lexus know its April Fools Day? Either way, personally speaking, I will have some semblance of my next car purchase between an RX, X5, ML, QX60 maybe? Decisions decisions...
Old 03-25-15, 09:00 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SkinsFan
Exactly a week from today we will be able to turn all the RX rumors into reality with its unveiling. April 1 is what I had on my calendar. Didn't Lexus know its April Fools Day? Either way, personally speaking, I will have some semblance of my next car purchase between an RX, X5, ML, QX60 maybe? Decisions decisions...
All good choices, but RX has proven itself over and over for quite some time. Reliability, resale value etc. I'm willing to give the new RX some slack, looks wise, even if potentially may end up a little out of my comfort zone. Looking forward to watching the live stream April 1st. My problem will be the potential long wait before dealers get them! Will be interesting to see how the current 2015 RX sales do after the unveiling, as looks like they will end up with a long model year.

Last edited by go3Ds; 03-25-15 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Add word current
Old 03-26-15, 06:22 AM
SkinsFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by go3Ds
All good choices, but RX has proven itself over and over for quite some time. Reliability, resale value etc. I'm willing to give the new RX some slack, looks wise, even if potentially may end up a little out of my comfort zone. Looking forward to watching the live stream April 1st. My problem will be the potential long wait before dealers get them! Will be interesting to see how the current 2015 RX sales do after the unveiling, as looks like they will end up with a long model year.
Based on past experience when would you be able to configure the new RX on the website and when would the cars actually show up on the lot? Is that a Fall time frame or something earlier? Just curious. I am new to Lexus.
Old 03-26-15, 07:48 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Based on past experience when would you be able to configure the new RX on the website and when would the cars actually show up on the lot? Is that a Fall time frame or something earlier? Just curious. I am new to Lexus.
Welcome to the world of Lexus.

In answer to your question, "it varies and is hard to predict right now." IMHO, it's especially dependent upon when Lexus announces initial availability of the 2016 RX is expected -- be that the Fall or perhaps earlier or later. I've gone through special order a few times, and while my latest experience is a long story (see the 3rd Gen RX Forum for my posts in the early 2012 timeframe), here's a few data points on my experience:
- 3/6 (2012) Lexus revealed 2013 RX in Geneva
- 3/9 Special Orders opened up at my dealership, with only MSRP and some gaps in option detail
- 3/20 Monthly cutoff to dealers for first orders
- 4/12 Order accepted by plant
- 5/7 Mfgring complete (in Fukuoka)
- 6/8 (2012) Delivery of my 2013 RX450h (mine was on the first ship of 2013s to US West Coast -- Canadian built can hit a bit faster depending on US dealership location.)
Of note: Dealership had little information on the new MY vehicle for a couple weeks after the initial reveal and announcement -- I had more than they did from this forum and other WWW info as that became available. Initial ordering had "the options and packages" but no detail under that on specifics for either of us to understand. A number of very detailed specifics (below what one would expect on a website or in marketing literature) were not understood until the physical car hit the lot and the dealer and I could see what was going on. Actual dealer pricing (and I would suspect their incentives, etc) did not become available to them until the May timeframe -- only MSRP was initially available -- meaning, you won't be able to do any real and knowledgeable negotiations to lock in your price at the outset. Realize not every dealer will be able to order the same number or perhaps types of vehicles as others especially during initial MY ramp-up, so your experience can vary on what one to another dealer quotes on availability of new vehicles. IIRC, website and App updates on the new model dribbled in during the 3 months from reveal to first vehicles hitting the lots -- with the most info becoming available towards the end of that time. Reality is, Lexus and their dealers will want to focus selling what they have (2015's in your case) until they run out and 2016s are being delivered to dealer lots for them to sell. IMHO, it's at that point, the website, advertising, etc will do the major switchover to the 2016 info -- not before -- e.g. beyond broad announcement materials, no mfgr typically puts both MYs on their website at the same time.

For now, in addition to this thread, join us over on the 3rd RX Forum -- a few searches will reveal a lot more detail on my and a lot of other's experiences both special ordering, as well as for those attempting to get the first of a new MY. Most of my comments above have threads expanding on the subjects from many different folks. We'll be creating a 4th Gen RX forum after announcement and more detail on it will be discussed by us there at that point. Good luck with your pursuit, and look forward to seeing you on the boards.
Old 03-26-15, 11:57 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks Bert, it's great that you kept and are able to share the timeline. It'll be interesting to see how the timeline is affected for a full generation model change as opposed to a MY refresh.

Anyone have any thoughts about the GLE 550e?
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ives-this-fall

Or the X5 xDrive 40e?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/20...d-performance/

With both of these plug-in hybrids coming coincidentally arriving around the same timeframe as the 4RX 450h and gas prices at an all time low, I am really hoping for a huge price battle at the dealer!

-Eric
Old 03-26-15, 12:16 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Thanks Bert, it's great that you kept and are able to share the timeline. It'll be interesting to see how the timeline is affected for a full generation model change as opposed to a MY refresh.

Anyone have any thoughts about the GLE 550e?
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ives-this-fall

Or the X5 xDrive 40e?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/20...d-performance/

With both of these plug-in hybrids coming coincidentally arriving around the same timeframe as the 4RX 450h and gas prices at an all time low, I am really hoping for a huge price battle at the dealer!

-Eric
The last couple of new generation RXs came out in Feb or March.
I believe the '16 will be at dealers by October.
Old 03-26-15, 12:18 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The last couple of new generation RXs came out in Feb or March.
I believe the '16 will be at dealers by October.
Thanks, I was more curious as to the special-order timeline.
Old 03-26-15, 12:25 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to Lexus forums.

As for showing up on the lot, it depends on what Lexus website (listed under future) means by "Arriving late 2015". If true, will be much later arrival month than the 2010 RX (start of 3rd generation) and the 2013 RX (refresh year, spindle grill and all). I bought my 2010 in July 2009, and my 2013 in July 2012. Both off the lots with quite a few choices, although I bought out of state both times. Early demand was higher for the 2010, as it should be for the 2016.
Old 03-26-15, 12:27 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Thanks, I was more curious as to the special-order timeline.
I see.
'15 or '16?
I'm interested in a possible' 16 special order.
Old 03-26-15, 12:32 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I see.
'15 or '16?
I'm interested in a possible' 16 special order.
'16 450h. Also interested in a special order as the dealerships near me don't order models with the luxury package for 350 of 450h.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)