RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 01:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
The Q7 and MDX don't have options for third rows. They are standard three row crossovers. That is what they are. No option to be anything different. The only vehicle Thad have 3rd row options are X5, Range Rover Sport and 4Runner. That I can think of anyways. And they all have crappy third rows.
Also you state that the GX could have grown into Tahoe, Yukon Denali and ESV category. But that's already what the GX is isn't it? With exception of ESV. Do you mean Suburban and Yukon XL? There's also the Navigator EL.
Q7 has 5 seat option, at least in Europe... it weights a lot less, probably has bigger trunk with it too.
Old 03-23-15, 01:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
then why does highlander have them? i think this new rx will be pretty much the same size. i'd actually love a highlander WITHOUT the third row, but no can do, and yes someone could say just don't use them, but the cargo floor isn't as good with the third row stowed as a nice flat cargo floor.

agreed.
i have just been in new XC90, and yeah, there is no way I could ever go back into 3rd row, not even for a second... It would be very useless for anything but small kids and for small city trips since there is no space then for luggage.

I understand why they have it, and it is fine... however Lexus is not Volvo, they can afford to have both RX and TX (?!), which would optimize the both.
Old 03-23-15, 01:47 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
The Q7 and MDX don't have options for third rows. They are standard three row crossovers. That is what they are. No option to be anything different. The only vehicle Thad have 3rd row options are X5, Range Rover Sport and 4Runner. That I can think of anyways. And they all have crappy third rows.
Also you state that the GX could have grown into Tahoe, Yukon Denali and ESV category. But that's already what the GX is isn't it? With exception of ESV. Do you mean Suburban and Yukon XL? There's also the Navigator EL.
I figure the Tahoe, Yukon Denali all have better room for the third row. It could go further to the Suburban and Yukon XL category to make the lineup spread further, but you get the point.

I know vocal members of the forum have dissed the third row; but for young parents of two kids (just two), the three rows offer vast more flexibility over two rows. For any trips that last close to an hour, we have to take turns taking care of each kid. One would need to be fed, while the other napped etc. The mom, or the dad could be in the second row doing that, while still continuing with the trip. If you think a 5 seater would do the job, think again. You can't seat an adult on the second row with booster seats or rear facing seats on either side.

Yes, a minivan would be better functionally, but wouldn't I have loved if RX offered the third row option? Hell yes. I am guessing other brands have seen the niche and moving towards that direction.
Old 03-23-15, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I still have my $60,000 waiting to purchase a Lexus 3 row crossover. They need one, whether its the RX or something else.

As someone with two kids now, I won't be purchasing a family vehicle with 2 rows for the next 18 years or so. I want the flexibility of being able to take my family AND my parents or inlaws, or other family or friends with us somewhere. I have one now, two car seats, us, and a stroller...its too small for us all to be comfortable and have the stuff we need, and doesn't have the capacity for us to bring others with us.

Lots of people want that flexibility which is why this market exists. Lexus is missing the boat huge by not having a vehicle that competes here.
Old 03-23-15, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I still have my $60,000 waiting to purchase a Lexus 3 row crossover. They need one, whether its the RX or something else.
What do you think of the Infiniti QX60 (the former JX35)? Of course, it's up to you and your family, but it seems that if Lexus doesn't come through with a three-row RX for the next redesign (which IMO would be surprising, given that the NX is now placed under it in the two-row department), the QX60 might be a credible alternative. I reviewed a JX35, and was generally impressed with it, even with its (relatively) well-behaved CVT.

The GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave have distinctly more room in the third row seat, which actually can seat many normal-sized teens and adults, but their reliability has not been as good as either the RX or QX60. The Enclave looks ornate inside, but its material quality inside, IMO, really is not impressive....it's essentially cheap plastic with an ornate-looking finish on it.
Old 03-23-15, 03:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I like the QX60 a lot, out of all the 3 row crossovers it has probably the best third row, and the best access to the third row. The CVT is a big sticking point with me though. I don't love it, and If I'm going to spend $50k and not love it, I might as well get a Minivan and do away with the drawbacks.

I have a hard time believing the profile we saw of the new RX will have 3 rows with the sloping rear roofline. What about an RX350 and an RX350L? Perhaps?

I find it hard to believe Lexus would continue to ignore this segment.
Old 03-23-15, 03:07 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you think of the Infiniti QX60 (the former JX35)? Of course, it's up to you and your family, but it seems that if Lexus doesn't come through with a three-row RX for the next redesign (which IMO would be surprising, given that the NX is now placed under it in the two-row department), the QX60 might be a credible alternative. I reviewed a JX35, and was generally impressed with it, even with its (relatively) well-behaved CVT.

The GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave have distinctly more room in the third row seat, which actually can seat many normal-sized teens and adults, but their reliability has not been as good as either the RX or QX60. The Enclave looks ornate inside, but its material quality inside, IMO, really is not impressive....it's essentially cheap plastic with an ornate-looking finish on it.
The QX60 and Enclave are in my shortlist. I think the Buick will be reliable but like the Infiniti's setup better. The early reliability reviews of the QX wasn't really stellar, perhaps because of the CVT judder issue, but they seem to have worked oit the kinks. The QX60 doesn't have LED daytime running lights though Before putting my cash though, I want to check the latest Q7. The hybrid diesel is quite interesting on paper at least.
Old 03-23-15, 03:14 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone with two kids now, I won't be purchasing a family vehicle with 2 rows for the next 18 years or so. I want the flexibility of being able to take my family AND my parents or inlaws, or other family or friends with us somewhere. I have one now, two car seats, us, and a stroller...its too small for us all to be comfortable and have the stuff we need, and doesn't have the capacity for us to bring others with us.

Lots of people want that flexibility which is why this market exists. Lexus is missing the boat huge by not having a vehicle that competes here.
Thing is these small 3rd row SUV\CUV's seem useless if you want to bring the grand parents but also have kids so small that you need a stroller or double stroller. If you need to take a bag or two, stroller, all the stuff you need to keep babies alive and happy, a RX with 3 rows won't get it done.

That is why I keep coming back to a Yukon or something of similar size.
Old 03-23-15, 03:24 PM
LoveCT
Driver

I like the QX60 a lot, out of all the 3 row crossovers it has probably the best third row, and the best access to the third row. The CVT is a big sticking point with me though. I don't love it, and If I'm going to spend $50k and not love it, I might as well get a Minivan and do away with the drawbacks.

I have a hard time believing the profile we saw of the new RX will have 3 rows with the sloping rear roofline. What about an RX350 and an RX350L? Perhaps?

I agree the new RX will really have a hard time fitting 3 rows even if it wanted. This X6 kind of setup is a functional nightmare, and formwise polarizinG. 350L? Lexus just doesn't get our market.

Love the QX60 design. CVT is great for family haulers, and I have come to accept it.
Old 03-23-15, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If I'm going to spend $50k and not love it, I might as well get a Minivan and do away with the drawbacks.
Yes....you have a point there. Not only that, but, personally, I think that minivans have been given a worse rap in the auto press than they deserve.

Common sense would tend to point that way (to not ignoring it)......but you never know with auto marketers. I gave up trying to figure them out long ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-23-15 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 03:31 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by J.P.
Thing is these small 3rd row SUV\CUV's seem useless if you want to bring the grand parents but also have kids so small that you need a stroller or double stroller. If you need to take a bag or two, stroller, all the stuff you need to keep babies alive and happy, a RX with 3 rows won't get it done.

That is why I keep coming back to a Yukon or something of similar size.
Have to mildly disagree. While Yukon is a great family hauler, even a CT200h can accommodate one child with its strollers baggages etc. quite well for me. It's just when you get more than one kid, that's when the problem starts. A third row is the best setup with strollers clothes toys etc. My kids will remain small for the next 10 years, after which I can go back to 5 seats and two rows, or so I hope.
Old 03-23-15, 03:34 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by LoveCT
Have to mildly disagree. While Yukon is a great family hauler, even a CT200h can accommodate one child with its strollers baggages etc. quite well for me. It's just when you get more than one kid, that's when the problem starts. A third row is the best setup with strollers clothes toys etc. My kids will remain small for the next 10 years, after which I can go back to 5 seats and two rows, or so I hope.
I am sure any car can handle one kid, but are you taking the one kid, the parents and grandparents plus the stroller and everything else in the CT? If so, good luck

Add in a second kid eating up two seats now plus a double wide or one up one down stroller and any free space is gone.

One thing I realized with kids, you cannot ever have "too much" room.
Old 03-23-15, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LoveCT
The early reliability reviews of the QX wasn't really stellar, perhaps because of the CVT judder issue, but they seem to have worked oit the kinks.
I didn't notice any bad manners with the CVT on the JX35 (QX60) I reviewed...but you have a point that sometimes problems can crop up later that are not evident on a brand-new test-drive. But, that vehicle has been in production long enough now that, as you note, they probably should have had time to address that.

I want to check the latest Q7. The hybrid diesel is quite interesting on paper at least.
That one is (likely) to be quite pricey.
Old 03-23-15, 05:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

this is where upcoming TX will fall in... longer RX with 3 rows... question is just when will it come out... 12 months? 18 months? Shouldnt be much longer than that.
Old 03-23-15, 06:17 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is where upcoming TX will fall in... longer RX with 3 rows... question is just when will it come out... 12 months? 18 months? Shouldnt be much longer than that.
So you think they will replace the GX with the TX? Why not just make the GX a longer crossover with 3rows..

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)