RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 10:58 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SkinsFan
If that is the regular RX, what could the F-Sport model possibly be?!

I'm sure the production model will be toned down a bit.
Old 02-19-15, 11:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by SkinsFan
If that is the regular RX, what could the F-Sport model possibly be?!
Sports grille like those on the IS/RC/LS ?
Old 02-19-15, 11:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

That's just a non-official rendering claimed to be accurate ...
Old 02-21-15, 06:07 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In the past couple of days, members of the official Lexus Advisory Council received an invitation for an online survey about future RX models. The short multiple-choice survey was focused entirely on the preference between "Design" and "3rd Row/Additional Cargo Space" on either end of a spectrum. "Design" in this context appeared to mean an RX with a somewhat sleeker (and shorter) design like a 3rd Gen RX where the sides and top angle down slightly towards the rear, vs the other choice with a longer and higher rear section containing boxier rear side windows (to likely accommodate the interior headroom needed for a 3rd row).

I know some here have said there is no 3rd row in the 4th Gen RX. It would also seem that given spy shots and suspected timing of upcoming events, the decision would have had to be made long ago one way or the other. So, perhaps this survey was really not to determine what a future RX will have, as much perhaps as to gain marketing data that substantiates the decision Lexus has already made and assists with announcement positioning statements. In any case, the timing and survey subject is interesting for all the reasons discussed here ad infinitum -- since introducing only a longer RX with a 3rd row, or having a basic design that is overly aggressive, will likely become polarizing points for potential next gen RX owners.
Old 02-21-15, 07:27 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I received the survey and thought the timing of the questions were strange. One would think Lexus has made the decisions regarding the new 4RX. Asking about the roof style and 3rd row seat preference makes you wonder if they are having second thoughts. I'm thinking the concept we'll see in April won't be the final design.
I understand the production model won't be out until late 4th Q. Does that give them time to redsign the roof line?
Old 02-21-15, 10:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

great image find. hoping that's not quite accurate.
Old 02-21-15, 10:16 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe Lexus is toying with the idea of a 'stretched' RX vs. an all new TX? Just a thought
Old 02-21-15, 11:16 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I received the survey and thought the timing of the questions were strange. One would think Lexus has made the decisions regarding the new 4RX. Asking about the roof style and 3rd row seat preference makes you wonder if they are having second thoughts. I'm thinking the concept we'll see in April won't be the final design.
I understand the production model won't be out until late 4th Q. Does that give them time to redsign the roof line?

If the production model is scheduled to be released for sale in the 4Q 2015, it is much too late now to be fiddling with any structural design issues, such as redesigning the roof line. The design (shape) of the final product would have been frozen quite some time ago and final prototypes, even first-run production models would have been running for months, if not a year or more by now.
Old 02-21-15, 09:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
If the production model is scheduled to be released for sale in the 4Q 2015, it is much too late now to be fiddling with any structural design issues, such as redesigning the roof line. The design (shape) of the final product would have been frozen quite some time ago and final prototypes, even first-run production models would have been running for months, if not a year or more by now.
maybe... my guess is it may be structurally the same size as a highlander and they can't decide whether to go 3 row or more luxury/roomy 2 row.
Old 02-21-15, 11:04 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think its too late but they still want to understand the market. It takes 5 years to design and build a new generation. They may be looking into that info for the next generation.
Old 02-22-15, 05:57 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Interesting comment Sulu, as that is very accurate. You seem to be very on point much of the time as a matter of fact. Toyota since the late 2000's has reverted back to a very lengthy product development process. This first affected launch programs for the 2012-13 model years.

Nowadays, a lower end Toyota will have a design freeze at around 24 months ahead of start of production. Lower volume models (i.e. Lexus), now require 30 months to go from a design freeze. It takes around half a year before that to make a styling decision.

The first spy shots of RX mules appeared in September 2013, but Toyota has been testing them for quite awhile behind closed doors in Japan. On the high end of Toyota products, one is looking at 36-38 months ahead of launch for a new Lexus or premium/larger Toyotas to go from design conceptualization to showroom floor. That's now parallel to German competitors, that are infamous for lengthy development programs. The next LS and LC likely have that timetable (2013 to 2016).

A decade ago, Toyota had skimmed this down to about 10.5 to 18 months on K platform and MC platform models. The new NX by itself (separate from RAV4) was a 5-year development program and final design decisions were made about 3 years ago (2012). Both that and the RX are not appendages of the RAV4/Highlander, so Lexus has moved back to 5-6 year development programs.

The new RX development program would've started around 2010, had styling proposal selection in late 2012/early 2013, and then final shape and dimensions by the summer of 2013. Full detailing might have gotten signed-off last year. An additional variant of the 4RX can go from concept proposal approval to showroom launch within an estimated 24 months. That is all dependent on if and when an additional variant was even approved internally.

Here's an example of what I mean in terms of concept approval vs final sign-off, as this is somewhat concerns my own professional work nowadays. Ensuring production feasibility of a designer's proposal for further production engineering. Much of it is digital, with the final stages being done in clay and fiberglass for sign-off.

W222 S-Class-2009 Clay Model

2009 W222 Clay Model

W222 Clay Model 2009

W222 Board Design Approval 2009

W222 Fiberglass Design Model

Here's an example from Lexus in the late 1980s, as I can't find anything on the RX.

1988 Z30 Clay Model

1989 Z30 Fiberglass Design Model

I hope this isn't too off-topic and lengthy.
Old 02-22-15, 06:14 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

To correct what I said above (without editing it), the 36-38 months figure actually refers to concept selection to Job #1. It is actually an estimated total for a model like the LS nowadays, at 37.5 to 40 months (dependent on region-JDM vs US) between when the definitive designs are reached and when the first customer deliveries take place.

I found this awhile ago, as it's apparently from a Japanese magazine. Probably irrelevant now with the European spyshots.

Old 03-04-15, 03:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
In the past couple of days, members of the official Lexus Advisory Council received an invitation for an online survey about future RX models. The short multiple-choice survey was focused entirely on the preference between "Design" and "3rd Row/Additional Cargo Space" on either end of a spectrum. "Design" in this context appeared to mean an RX with a somewhat sleeker (and shorter) design like a 3rd Gen RX where the sides and top angle down slightly towards the rear, vs the other choice with a longer and higher rear section containing boxier rear side windows (to likely accommodate the interior headroom needed for a 3rd row).

I know some here have said there is no 3rd row in the 4th Gen RX. It would also seem that given spy shots and suspected timing of upcoming events, the decision would have had to be made long ago one way or the other. So, perhaps this survey was really not to determine what a future RX will have, as much perhaps as to gain marketing data that substantiates the decision Lexus has already made and assists with announcement positioning statements. In any case, the timing and survey subject is interesting for all the reasons discussed here ad infinitum -- since introducing only a longer RX with a 3rd row, or having a basic design that is overly aggressive, will likely become polarizing points for potential next gen RX owners.
I was at my dealership yesterday and my salesman who has been with Lexus for 18 years said he heard no 3rd seat initially but the RX will have one in model year '18.

Doesn't sound right but don't shoot me. I'm just the messenger....

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-04-15 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-04-15, 05:29 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great image find. hoping that's not quite accurate.
Well looking at the way this company is going, aesthetics wise at least, I woudn't be too surprised..
Old 03-04-15, 05:56 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I ever get a new model Lexus the first thing I'd do is replace their new dorky looking mirrors with the previous classy & full colour coded ones

New shape;

Previous shape;

Last edited by yowps3; 03-04-15 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)