RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 06:05 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been reading this thread from the beginning, but decided it was finally time for me to cast my own view for posterity sake. Count me in also being interested in the 4th Gen -- not as a bystander or someone that just likes to voice a view, but as someone that has continuously owned purchased-new RX since 1999 -- all 3 Gens, and RXh for the last 2. As such, I have always envisioned owning a 4th Gen RX to replace my special-ordered 2013 when the time comes. As great as the NX appears, if I were to someday "downsize" , my first impressions of it's overall comfort (the seats) just does not stand up to what I've grown to expect from my RX. I love a sporty ride, but keep a 2nd toy to meet most of my mid-life 2-seater needs that way. I want my daily driver RX to be comfortable with all the latest technology, allow me to haul a couple additional adults or things from the home improvement store when needed upon occasion, and always have enough "umph" as my RXs have -- especially my AWD RXh when I put the foot on the throttle.
Gen3 saw a 1.6" increase in length for esthetics and what physically feels like more cabin legroom, which was fine ...but I personally don't need or want any more length or girth in my next 4/5-passenger daily driver CUV/SUV. Additional weight also isn't desirable, as it would be great if the 4th Gen RX provides improved MPG, unlike the 3rd Gen that is realistically about the same as Gen2.

As time goes on and Lexus works to access a broader and younger market, it seems I'm becoming more of the minority when it comes to esthetics and appearance preferences. I have no desire to "mod" my RX beyond normal basic accessories, and I frankly do not desire an overly sporty design in my daily driver. If elegance and perhaps a "classic appeal" were on one end of the visual design spectrum, with aggressiveness and sportiness on the other, my balance point is certainly more towards the classy elegance end these days. I know that isn't the case for others.
All that being said, too much increase in 4th Gen RX length or girth will likely be a deal breaker for me -- not just if I stay with RX, but as much as it pains me to say it -- with the brand as my next daily driver. I could live with similar MPG if I had to, and as long as the design does not go too far and continues to provide the option for those of us that want a "non F-sport" look, GREAT. I'm excited to see what Lexus has come up with.
Old 02-17-15, 08:09 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye70
Two points

1. Not everyone who owns a RX is interested in a turbo model, i.e the NX
the
2. Not everyone who currently owns a RX wants a RX with 3 rows of seats;

Hence, the rumor that a new "TX" will be a 3 row model is okay as long as the new RX is maintained as a 2 row of seats model.

What could also be a deal breaker for me with the the new model is the "comment" that the new RX will be larger than the current model. Specifically, in and of itself that is not the issue, the issue is the probability of a $5K to 10K price increase for the new model, In that case, models such as a Acura RX with a 6 cylinder becomes much more desirable.
Nothing wrong with extra engine choices. The germans have no problems with it. 2.0T with 250hp or so and a 3.5 V6 making about 310-320hp makes for enough of a separation in power number to justify charging more for the V6
Old 02-17-15, 10:55 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
I've been reading this thread from the beginning, but decided it was finally time for me to cast my own view for posterity sake. Count me in also being interested in the 4th Gen -- not as a bystander or someone that just likes to voice a view, but as someone that has continuously owned purchased-new RX since 1999 -- all 3 Gens, and RXh for the last 2. As such, I have always envisioned owning a 4th Gen RX to replace my special-ordered 2013 when the time comes. As great as the NX appears, if I were to someday "downsize" , my first impressions of it's overall comfort (the seats) just does not stand up to what I've grown to expect from my RX. I love a sporty ride, but keep a 2nd toy to meet most of my mid-life 2-seater needs that way. I want my daily driver RX to be comfortable with all the latest technology, allow me to haul a couple additional adults or things from the home improvement store when needed upon occasion, and always have enough "umph" as my RXs have -- especially my AWD RXh when I put the foot on the throttle.
Gen3 saw a 1.6" increase in length for esthetics and what physically feels like more cabin legroom, which was fine ...but I personally don't need or want any more length or girth in my next 4/5-passenger daily driver CUV/SUV. Additional weight also isn't desirable, as it would be great if the 4th Gen RX provides improved MPG, unlike the 3rd Gen that is realistically about the same as Gen2.

As time goes on and Lexus works to access a broader and younger market, it seems I'm becoming more of the minority when it comes to esthetics and appearance preferences. I have no desire to "mod" my RX beyond normal basic accessories, and I frankly do not desire an overly sporty design in my daily driver. If elegance and perhaps a "classic appeal" were on one end of the visual design spectrum, with aggressiveness and sportiness on the other, my balance point is certainly more towards the classy elegance end these days. I know that isn't the case for others.
All that being said, too much increase in 4th Gen RX length or girth will likely be a deal breaker for me -- not just if I stay with RX, but as much as it pains me to say it -- with the brand as my next daily driver. I could live with similar MPG if I had to, and as long as the design does not go too far and continues to provide the option for those of us that want a "non F-sport" look, GREAT. I'm excited to see what Lexus has come up with.

Bert, Well said. I couldn't agree with you more except I did make the move. I had planned on waiting for the new 4RX but the more info that leaked the more I wondered if it was what we wanted. My wife and I both agreed it time to downsize(empty nesters) The thought of a larger RX was not what we wanted so the new NX came into play. We tested others like the MKC but nothing compares with a Lexus once you've owned one. I took my RX in for an oil change and while there I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse. So far we're liking the NX especially how much quieter it is than than our RX.
I'm looking forward to see what the new 4RX is and hope I didn't jump the gun.
Old 02-18-15, 03:19 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Uncovered

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-pre...ore-big-debut/
Old 02-18-15, 04:15 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the link. (Given my previous post, I'm at least one person praying the non-F-sport design is not THAT aggressive.)
Old 02-18-15, 06:59 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like an NX on steroids.
Old 02-18-15, 08:01 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't mind the look of the NX but my wife does not like it; she especially does not like the bulging taillights (on all new Toyota & Lexus models, including the RAV4).

That said, I am not sure that the edginess of the NX styling will translate well to the larger RX. I too would be interested in a more elegant 4RX. I don't think that the styling of the 3RX has aged well so I am hope for something more elegant and timeless.
Old 02-18-15, 10:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

^^^ the nx is definitely a 'guy's design with mad max looks, bulging flanks, bits sticking out, and angled lines and curves. the rx has been VERY popular with women in particular (as well as guys) as a stylish, classy, comfortable, functional vehicle. if the new one is like the render (nx on steroids) it will likely lose some of its female audience. but it will gain guys who feel like this is an suv/cuv they can be seen in.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-19-15 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 04:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ the nx is definitely a 'guy's design with mad max looks, bulging flanks, bits sticking out, and angled lines and curves. the rx has been VERY popular with women as a stylish, classy, comfortable, functional vehicle. if the new one is like the render (nx on steroids) it will likely lose some of its female audience. but it will gain guys who feel like this is an suv/cuv they can be seen in.
camoed RX looks very much masculine though... so maybe not enlarged NX but still very masculine.
Old 02-19-15, 05:49 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
camoed RX looks very much masculine though... so maybe not enlarged NX but still very masculine.

I won't mind a more masculine RX but I do think that the NX is a little too masculine.
Old 02-19-15, 06:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I won't mind a more masculine RX but I do think that the NX is a little too masculine.
you will get used to it... I remember when 2012 GS just came out, most people thought it was outrageous, and that it looked like Alien.... 3 years later and looks boooooring.
Old 02-19-15, 07:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If the new RX looks anything like the render here or basically an upsized NX I'd be game, as long as it keeps its refinement, which is what I like most about our RX.

As for whether it looks more or less masculine/feminine, I don't care all that much. I'm toting a couple kids around with me everywhere I go. I don't feel like I have much to prove on that front.
Old 02-19-15, 07:15 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for posting the link..

I will reserve my final thoughts for when I see it in person. However, from the renderings I don't like it, IMO it looks too much like a station wagon.. But again, I may change my mind when I see it live or in actual photos.

Last edited by JT4; 02-19-15 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 10:32 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the link. (Given my previous post, I'm at least one person praying the non-F-sport design is not THAT aggressive.)
You and me both. Add me to your prayer list.
Didn't think twice about the switch to the 2013 spindle grills, but scratching my head some about this potential look, especially for the RX, which appeals to such a wide customer base. Not worried about the 4th generation reliability, comfort, performance, safety, technology and resale value, as the 3rd generation did just fine, and from day 1. Hoping for a little more elegant look for the RX though. Patiently waiting for final results in a couple weeks.
Old 02-19-15, 10:53 AM
SkinsFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do think the renders are aggressive but believe that's just the F-Sport model which has the full front bumper. If that is the regular RX, what could the F-Sport model possibly be?! I was interested in the F-Sport option myself as it separates itself from the many other RX's out there.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)