RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 08:26 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the spy shots, it appears it would be virtually impossible to cram a third row in that thing, so I doubt it is the TX.

I have been playing with the idea of trading in my RX F sport for a GS F sport, but really like the ride height and utility of the RX. My hunch is that Lexus will go the way Porsche did when they release the Macan....they updated the Cayenne and raised its price to distance it from the Macan. I think (or maybe just hope) that the new RX will be more like a higher riding GS than just a bigger NX, and put in some of the GS's mechanical tech (like the adjustable suspension, steering and gearbox options) and build quality. The RX will come with a higher price tag though, but I think that is the right move.
Old 02-11-15, 08:41 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool Get it out already !!!! :)

I sure wish they'd start to release some SERIOUS info on this thing soon as it definitely has an impact on whether or not Im gonna pull the trigger on one or not!
Wondering how much I can get for an 07 GS350 with 93k on it so need to do some homework or Ill get crushed on a trade!

I surely hope they do the engine over as stated in here previously and top off the interior with ALL the possible luxe one can fit in an SUV or you are right, the NX is going to steal its glamor away and fit into that category of better price for same size etc ya know? Of course nothing in life goes down, so Im sure the prices on these will jump thru the damn roof too which is the only thing that sucks!

Cmon Lexus and release your ideas on this flagship already!!
Old 02-12-15, 06:31 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Next-Generation Lexus RX Coming to New York Auto Show?

The next-generation Lexus RX will debut at the New York Auto Show in April, according to Motoring Australia:

motoring.com.au has also learned the next-generation RX crossover will be revealed at the New York show in April. As previously reported the new RX will grow to include seven seats for the first time.

The XL RX, which has been spied in testing was a ‘no show’ after being tipped to debut at the Detroit show last month.

Due on sale in Australia next year, it will be positioned further upstream of the new NX mid-size crossover in terms of size.

A New York debut mirrors information shared by Edmunds last month. It’s surprising that Motoring Australia is so confident the RX will grow to three rows — here’s the prototype mentioned that was “spied in testing”:

As previously discussed, this prototype looks roughly the same size as the current model — there doesn’t seem to be enough room for a third row.

Even so, there’s no way to be definitive until the RX is finally revealed — if Motoring Australia and Edmunds are correct, we’ll know all the details soon enough.
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/02/1...ork-auto-show/
Old 02-13-15, 04:20 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the U.S., for a number of reasons (primarily including safety and emissions standards) automotive marketing by model year is strictly regulated as to can specifically be marketed as a 2014, 2015, 2016 model, etc.....

That, of course, is because Federal auto regulations are usually done by calendar year (or by a certain specific date in that year), and actual production on the assembly-lines is whenever the factory actually is ready for production, with the necessary tooling ready to go. So, if a vehicle has to have a required piece of standard equipment on it, the factory will have to meet that calendar-year date, not necessarily the model-year date.

And, as far as model-years go, for decades, new vehicles in the U.S. for the next model year were introduced each fall, usually sometime between September and November. As far as my memory goes (and it goes pretty far back) that tradition lasted until the all-new 1965 Ford Mustang (one of the most successful all-new car launches in history) was introduced in April of 1964. Six years later, the redesigned 2Gen Camaro was introduced in February of 1970 and dubbed a 1970 1/2 model...not a 1971. Since then, it has become more common to introduce all-new or redesigned models outside of the traditional fall time-frame, but the time-period this is allowed in is still tightly-regulated.
Yes, thank you mmarshall (good wisdom as usual). I was aware of that Mustang artifact actually, but didn't even know my assumption was correct in it being the first. They spectacularly developed that from design approval to Job #1 within 18 months! They did that again with the 2015 model (December 2012 to July/August 2014).

I honestly prefer thing released that early, to be labeled same prod. year/same model year, unless released around mid-year or later. Europeans and non-Americans can be very rude about this and I've learned that the hard way.

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
New render?
Excellent work again UZJ, that is it! Just like some previous Lexus models, it has been rendered from an educated viewpoint by the artist. It has been confirmed by many insiders, that this is the 2016 RX at 95%. This is similar to what was shown at dealer meetings in late 2014. You are on a roll here!

It reminds me of how the 2007 LS460 was rendered correctly by a Japanese source in 2005, months before both LF-Sh at Tokyo '05 and January 2006 NAIAS reveal. The 4GS was also rendered in early 2011 (pre LF-Gh) and confirmed by insiders to be similarly correct. They are on the same level of great insight.

January 2011 L10 GS Renders

2005 XF40 Renders
Old 02-13-15, 07:39 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^

Well to be fair with the 4GS rendering they just took the LF-Gh concept and grafted CT200h front end, door handles, and mirrors on it, so their guess wasn't based on anything substantial.

The RX renderings though look really well done, too well done. They even have the same wheels as the spyshot mules. Though I question the lack of separated DRLs in the render. But who knows.
Old 02-14-15, 08:14 AM
Hawkeye70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two points

1. Not everyone who owns a RX is interested in a turbo model, i.e the NX
the
2. Not everyone who currently owns a RX wants a RX with 3 rows of seats;

Hence, the rumor that a new "TX" will be a 3 row model is okay as long as the new RX is maintained as a 2 row of seats model.

What could also be a deal breaker for me with the the new model is the "comment" that the new RX will be larger than the current model. Specifically, in and of itself that is not the issue, the issue is the probability of a $5K to 10K price increase for the new model, In that case, models such as a Acura RX with a 6 cylinder becomes much more desirable.
Old 02-14-15, 12:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Just to clarify since there is still doubt I'm reading in some of these threads. The 4RX is a 5-Seater only
Old 02-14-15, 12:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Just to clarify since there is still doubt I'm reading in some of these threads. The 4RX is a 5-Seater only
yep, this needs to be written on every page it seems :-)
Old 02-14-15, 02:43 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hawkeye70
Two points

1. Not everyone who owns a RX is interested in a turbo model, i.e the NX
the
2. Not everyone who currently owns a RX wants a RX with 3 rows of seats;

Hence, the rumor that a new "TX" will be a 3 row model is okay as long as the new RX is maintained as a 2 row of seats model.

What could also be a deal breaker for me with the the new model is the "comment" that the new RX will be larger than the current model. Specifically, in and of itself that is not the issue, the issue is the probability of a $5K to 10K price increase for the new model, In that case, models such as a Acura RX with a 6 cylinder becomes much more desirable.
Agreed. I was just told by my dealer that the new RX will be 10 inches longer than the current model. That is getting really long in my opinion. When you look at the new Acura RDX coming up that will have 279hp and 250ft-lb, I may have to go that route instead of a new gen Rx. It will weigh more than 800lb less than the current rx and will get 29mpg highway. Like you said, I don't need or want three rows in my daily driver (our family car is a 2014 MDX) and I don't like the four banger turbo in the NX
Old 02-16-15, 10:26 AM
SkinsFan
Driver School Candidate

I like many of you are anxiously awaiting the new RX or any concrete information on the 2016 model. My choice is between the RX and X5 and while doing a cost analysis between a new RX and used X5 (around 25K miles), I see them roughly coming out to the same price with what I know assuming a slight increase in the RX price from 2015. Costs go up so I am just speculating based on a larger model.

In my analysis one question which I am not sure I have found an answer for is, will the RX remain on regular 87 gas or is there any information that premium gas will be required?

Also, as far as spy shots, etc. I am really thinking the RX will be a larger NX so take styling cues and same interior layout with navi window as the NX.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-15, 12:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SkinsFan
I like many of you are anxiously awaiting the new RX or any concrete information on the 2016 model. My choice is between the RX and X5 and while doing a cost analysis between a new RX and used X5 (around 25K miles), I see them roughly coming out to the same price with what I know assuming a slight increase in the RX price from 2015. Costs go up so I am just speculating based on a larger model.

In my analysis one question which I am not sure I have found an answer for is, will the RX remain on regular 87 gas or is there any information that premium gas will be required?

Also, as far as spy shots, etc. I am really thinking the RX will be a larger NX so take styling cues and same interior layout with navi window as the NX.

Thanks.
probably premium due to new engine with D4S and other features...and quite likely interior will not be like NX.... IS and GS dont have same interiors.

Also, it will not be 10" larger... 4" seems to be the number.

Cost should go up, but not significantly for base model... loaded top spec will likely be (significantly?) more expensive than today due to more equipment and features.
Old 02-16-15, 04:26 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i will be really disappointed if it doesn't get the 12 inch nav screen
Old 02-16-15, 08:30 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I was just told by my dealer that the new RX will be 10 inches longer than the current model.
Originally Posted by spwolf
Also, it will not be 10" larger... 4" seems to be the number.

Yes, 4" (10cm) would match the info spwolf gave earlier. A stretch of 4" is quite a lot. It is the typical difference in wheelbase length between cars with short and long wheelbases. It is also the difference in overall length between the Camry and larger Avalon.

A stretch of 10" would be huge. If true, that would probably be the difference in overall length between the new 2-row RX and the new 3-row TX.
Old 02-16-15, 11:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

if it ends up looking like a big nx i believe it will lose its older buyer but gain a younger buyer which is probably what lexus wants anyway.
Old 02-17-15, 12:03 AM
sydneyjz
Driver School Candidate

Hi all

Long time reader, first time poster. And current RX owner. Just wanted to join the discussion on the Next Gen.

Going against the grain a tad, but if that white render is accurate I think it is a really uninspiring re-design. To me it looks like a generic design, without a great deal of substance. So much so that I doubt it is right, notwithstanding the intelligence suggesting it is.

As for the NX- why would Lexus look to distance the RX in size (and price), but then base the RX design on the NX? Seems odd to me. Having driven both cars, the NX is a different proposition, it looks and feels different. Not really a 'family car' feel, more of a sporty young car. The two should remain distinct.

All will be revealed soon I guess, but struggling a bit with the mixed messages.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)